PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious String Breakage????

vandre
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
for any of you interested in earning your "csi meritbadge"...

i had 2 racquets in my racquetbag, a tw donnay pro one os and a head fxp rad os. i put the racquetbag in the trunk of my car yesterday (the temp was around 60 degrees f) and drove to 2 hours to my parents' house. when i pulled the bag out and opened it, the mains (wilson super spin blue) had snapped above the grommets/ frame. the crosses (gosen og micro) were all fine. the strings in the fxp os (psgd mains/ pro hurricane crosses) were all fine. both of the racquets were in the same compartment of the racquetbag.

what could have possibly caused the mains in the tw donnay to break?

feel free to ask anything else and i'll tell you what i can! thanks in advance!!!!

Ambivalent
03-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Sharp edges in your grommets. Replace them.

DownTheLine
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Check your grommets make sure there are no sharp ones, or even if their dirty it could cause them to "eat" at the strings.

jim e
03-20-2010, 04:49 PM
I rather doubt that anyone here can give you the proper answer without even looking at it. A picture would help, anything else is a best guess at best.(Like a ground hit with racquet, causing damage to string end,and was just about ready to snap when you put it away, [this would make even appearance ends of broken main strings]),uneven appearance of ends of broken mains = possible grommet causing problem, also could have been a miss hit, that weakened string and was just about ready to snap when it was put away. All strings eventually break if not cut out early, so it does happen.

Ambivalent
03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
If the break is where the string curves, then its the part around the grommets and therefore caused by sharp edges.

Valjean
03-21-2010, 10:50 AM
What happened to the string with the knot tied to it, then...

Teamtomo
03-21-2010, 10:53 AM
That happened to me might be a an air bubble in the string :S

vandre
03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
to those of you who've asked for pics, i'm sorry but as soon as i saw it was broken i cut it out of the racquet and threw it away at my parents house (which as i said i threw it away). i'm kinda interested in all of the possible causes for this breakage. the grommet issue may ring true because i know that the grommets on the tw donnay pro one os are somewhat suspect.

teamtomo, thanks for bringing up the air bubble possibility! that is fascinating!!!

for all of you that have posted so far and for all of you that have yet to post, here it is

http://www.watchingcsi.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/csi.jpg

ayuname
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Go back to your parent's house and get that cut string back now!
:)