PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Mistake?

Heroesque
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I just got my racquet strung with a different stringer. When I got my racquet back, I noticed there was excessive vibration, and an abnormal noise when making contact with the ball. I just thought it was a bad string, quite suprised because SPPP is good..

Later, I noticed that the mains, when crossing the bottom two crosses, went over both. I'm not a stringing expert, but it's supposed to alternate every time, right?
Is it different for a 16x20 racquet or something? (It is a Wilson KPro Tour, if it matters).

mikeler
03-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Strings should always alternate in either direction. It is a misweave and should not have happened. Given the location you described, I'm surprised it would have any effect on the feel.

Tennis_Crazed
03-20-2010, 03:17 PM
You could probably get the stringer to redo your stick for free.

IrishFan
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
There is no way the mis-weave can cause a rattle. While its true that any professional stringer will restring your racquet for free, you should look elsewhere for the cause of the rattle

marosmith
03-20-2010, 03:32 PM
a little piece of string may be caught in the frame. it happens often

Steve Huff
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Often??? I've never seen a piece of string caught up in the frame, and I string a lot. A broken grommet maybe. Is that what you meant?

Heroesque
03-21-2010, 07:16 AM
What do you mean caught in the string?

I don't mean rattle. It's just excessive vibration and an odd sound on contact. I'll ask the stringer next time

jim e
03-21-2010, 08:08 AM
If the bottom two cross strings are not alternated but the same weave as you say, that possibly could cause an excessive vibration as the last cross would be not held in tighter from an adjacent off set weave , also since there is an obvious mistake, and a vibration, most likely that is the problem, as two different problems at same time would be less of a chance.
Bottom line bring it back to stringer,if he's a respectable stringer he would obviously re string it at no charge, and would also feel bad about it as well leaving the shop that way!Problem solved!

a little piece of string may be caught in the frame. it happens often
As to the other response above, I also have never seen a piece of string caught inside a frame as well. As if it happens often as you say, how does this really happen? Do you feed the string piece in there some how to aggrivate someone often?Only way I can see is if you take the handle butt cap off and place some string pieces in there, but why would you do that, yet alone often? Like Steve said, I can see a piece of grommet breaking off and getting inside, but a piece of string??

marosmith
03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
When you cut out strings it is possible for a small fragment to break off into the frame. It happened on one of my rackets and have heard it happen to others. Often is prolly an overstatement. Lol

jim e
03-21-2010, 11:39 AM
When you cut out strings it is possible for a small fragment to break off into the frame. It happened on one of my rackets and have heard it happen to others. Often is prolly an overstatement. Lol

A small fragment of the grommet can break off and fall inside the racquet, but ?? how a string fragmet can fall inside a racquet like you say. If the grommets are intact, just how can a string fragment as you said get inside? You must be meaning to say the grommet, and not the string.I have never heard of a string fragment getting inside.

marosmith
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I guess we can argue if you really want, but yes, the grommets were Partially removed lol.

rich s
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
I just got my racquet strung with a different stringer. When I got my racquet back, I noticed there was excessive vibration, and an abnormal noise when making contact with the ball. I just thought it was a bad string, quite suprised because SPPP is good..

Later, I noticed that the mains, when crossing the bottom two crosses, went over both. I'm not a stringing expert, but it's supposed to alternate every time, right?
Is it different for a 16x20 racquet or something? (It is a Wilson KPro Tour, if it matters).

your racquet is strung incorrectly.....

it sounds like someone wasn't paying attention or an ATW pattern that was done incorrectly.....

my $.02

meowmix
03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
A small fragment of the grommet can break off and fall inside the racquet, but ?? how a string fragmet can fall inside a racquet like you say. If the grommets are intact, just how can a string fragment as you said get inside? You must be meaning to say the grommet, and not the string.I have never heard of a string fragment getting inside.

I was stringing a pair of O3 Reds last night. As you know, that racket has very few grommets, and on one of the grommetless holes at the top, as I inserted the string, the string would slide right into the frame. Quite literally, I could make the string slide right down to the handle. Perhaps something like this happened? Very doubtful though.

mikeler
03-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I was stringing a pair of O3 Reds last night. As you know, that racket has very few grommets, and on one of the grommetless holes at the top, as I inserted the string, the string would slide right into the frame. Quite literally, I could make the string slide right down to the handle. Perhaps something like this happened? Very doubtful though.

Same thing on the O3 Royal. Sometimes you think the string is not going through but next thing you know, a foot of string is in the frame.