Dino Lagaffe
03-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Lacoste Top Control

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Various/DSCN1072.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Various/DSCN1073.jpg

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy282/dinolagaffe/Various/DSCN1074.jpg

galain
03-20-2010, 11:54 PM
INteresting racquet Dino - what are the benefits of the stringing pattern?

Dino Lagaffe
03-21-2010, 01:09 AM
INteresting racquet Dino - what are the benefits of the stringing pattern?

I'm not sure... Tighter pattern but without the extra holes?

Colpo
03-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Not sure why I recall this, but this model was played by the former French great Cristophe Roger Vasselin (help?) when he knocked off Connors at the French, about '82. Nice-looking racquet.

jimbo333
03-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Not sure why I recall this, but this model was played by the former French great Cristophe Roger Vasselin (help?) when he knocked off Connors at the French, about '82. Nice-looking racquet.

Right I knew there was a reason I didn't like this racquet when I got it, am selling it now:evil:

(I actually really like this racquet:))

gpt
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Right I knew there was a reason I didn't like this racquet when I got it, am selling it now:evil:

(I actually really like this racquet:))

You are so loyal to your man Jimbo.
Love it.
Yes, this is a nice racquet!

jimbo333
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM
You are so loyal to your man Jimbo.
Love it.
Yes, this is a nice racquet!

I do my best:)

(Jimmy just in case you are reading this get in touch, I have a few questions about the racquets you used:shock:)

(I don't actually think Jimmy Connors will get in touch LOL, but I suppose you never know:))

joe sch
03-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Many of the early 1900s wood rackets had double mains and crosses to get a denser string pattern for more control. Its interesting that Lacoste used a 14x18 to produce a 20x18. Just need larger holes for double stringing, and probably a frame strong enough to double the tension for those strings. I bet it would be a great spinner racket. Would love to get ahold of one of those for play testing and as a great collection conversation piece. Thanks for sharing.

ericsson
03-24-2010, 11:39 AM
The early wooden Lacoste rackets were made by Donnay, some later graphite ones by Snauweart.

pshulam
03-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Dino,

Thanks for sharing. I have never seen a string pattern 2 strings per hole.

coachrick
03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Dino,

Thanks for sharing. I have never seen a string pattern 2 strings per hole.

I'm too old and tired to look it up; but, aren't there rules against two strings exiting the same hole in the same direction(or something like that)? I don't know if that small divergence in string angle would pass the test...just sayin'. :)

joe sch
03-25-2010, 06:15 AM
I'm too old and tired to look it up; but, aren't there rules against two strings exiting the same hole in the same direction(or something like that)? I don't know if that small divergence in string angle would pass the test...just sayin'. :)

Yes, I think the "Speghetti Racket" case eliminated these type of string jobs. Probably why no recent rackets used such patterns. The old stringers would also use tremlings strings, rather than stencils, to make intricate patterns in the string bed. Those would also technically be illegal now. Saves the stringers lots of effort but those were works of art and more difficult than stringing.