PDA

View Full Version : Unique Big Hitter

Nanshiki
03-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I just got a reel of Big Hitter, although I'd never tried it before since I was about to buy $70 worth of six or seven different kinds of string, then realized I could get twice as much string for the same $$$$ if I just picked a reel and went with it.

Any opinions? I've strung a racquet up with it, although I haven't hit with it, but from my tests it seems to have pretty good pop. I noticed that it's not a very slick string, for a poly since it makes a bit of noise when you pull the crosses, but I guess only time will tell whether or it has good spin or not.

I strung it at 56/52 in an APDC+.

coyfish
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Doubt you will be dissapointed. Its a great string . . . a hidden secret.

Its like a softer luxilon with more feel. And obviously 1/3 the price. Its my favorite string.

mrmo1115
03-20-2010, 10:38 PM
If you could compare it to PHT that'd be great. Thanks

kcmiser
03-21-2010, 05:23 AM

Its like a softer luxilon with more feel. And obviously 1/3 the price. Its my favorite string.

...That pretty much sums up my feelings. It's an excellent ALU clone. Could retain tension better, but a really, really solid string. I have no idea why it isn't more popular.

rschuller
03-21-2010, 05:54 AM
its good and very cheap compared to its competitors

ebrainsoft
03-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Big Hitter is the best string at any price IMO. I've tried a lot of different strings but I keep coming back the Big Hitter.

gh65721
03-21-2010, 08:24 AM
UBH is much softer than PHT. PHT felt like using barbed wire to me. UBH is a very good all around string. Very soft for a poly.

dgoran
03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Did you get Blue or Gray?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
03-21-2010, 12:06 PM
you can't go wrong with this stuff. reminds me a lot of ALU minus the guilt of paying for ALU.

Richie Rich
03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
you can't go wrong with this stuff. reminds me a lot of ALU minus the guilt of paying for ALU.

exactly. if you like ALU but hate paying big $ for a string that loses tension so fast unique big hitter is one of the best alternatives. sure it loses tension quickly but at the price who cares?

mrmo1115
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
UBH is much softer than PHT. PHT felt like using barbed wire to me. UBH is a very good all around string. Very soft for a poly.

Then I'm not sure I will like it / get used to it.

I am very accustomed to the feel of PHT so maybe a soft poly might not be right for me?

coyfish
03-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Then I'm not sure I will like it / get used to it.

I am very accustomed to the feel of PHT so maybe a soft poly might not be right for me?

Just because its different doesn't mean you wont like it. Lots of people get too attatched to certain strings that they fear nothing is as good. Tons of great strings out there !

Poly is for durability and control. With UBH you get that while being easier on your arm.

chizzle
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I just got a reel of Big Hitter, although I'd never tried it before since I was about to buy $70 worth of six or seven different kinds of string, then realized I could get twice as much string for the same $$$$ if I just picked a reel and went with it.

Any opinions? I've strung a racquet up with it, although I haven't hit with it, but from my tests it seems to have pretty good pop. I noticed that it's not a very slick string, for a poly since it makes a bit of noise when you pull the crosses, but I guess only time will tell whether or it has good spin or not.

I strung it at 56/52 in an APDC+.

Where might one find a reel of this string ?

Nanshiki
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/UniqueString.html

reels are available...elsewhere...

stanfordtennis alum
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
it's a great string in general and for the price, it's hard to beat!

DrpShot!
03-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Agreed, a solid German made co-poly very similar to ALU, hard to beat for the price. Great pop. I found the Silver to be stiffer, Blue a little softer. I like how it plays in a hybrid with mulits like NRG2, am planning to try it with X1 Biphase but haven't gotten to it yet.

Lambsscroll
03-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter String 16 is a very good poly. Holds tension well. For whatever reason I was able to hit harder with this string and keep the ball in play. BTW I had it the mains with a soft synthetic string in the cross.

Yehan
03-22-2010, 10:18 AM
It's a great string. If you like Luxilon Big banger's spin, but don't like how it dies in a few hours. You like natural gut for it's control and power. Then Unique Big hitter blue is the right choice for you. It doesn't do either spin or control like the other two, but it's the best compromise i've found. Believe me I've tried my share of strings.

Nanshiki
03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Finally got to play with it.

I LIKE this string. I love how it actually has good pop on flat serves...most polys I've tried make it too hard to hit a fast flat serve.

Also, spin/control/feel/power on ground strokes.

Overall, very satisfied. I was hitting some BIG serves, even though I thought I'd have to hybrid it... but I didn't, with the four pound differential.

Lefty5
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Definitely one of the best playing strings to price ratio out there... I'm definitely more a fan of the blue these days, since its a little softer than the silver, but it all started with the silver for me. Wish TW carried reels.

djinni999
03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
indeed very similar to Alu. i tried the 17 gauge big hitter blue. absolutely loved it after a while. hits VERY HARD but with spot on depth control and accuracy; balls consistently deep. trouble was, it didn't have the exact same bite as ALU. PHT 1.20 too produces more topspin on the same racquet. big hitter tends to hit flatter. more difficult to produce wicked angles. maybe the 18 gauge can compensate for that.

seemed stiffer than ALU or even BB Original, at least to me. softens up eventually and becomes very elastic. by that time control is completely compromised.

tension wise, it seemed to be playable for about 2.5 times compared to ALU, but less than BB Original. on second thought, the big hitter blue probably is just a thinner version of BBO. so, a thinner BBO (hmmmm....just what i was dreaming of for sometime) clone more so than an ALU clone.

at $4 per set if you buy the reel, this is probably the best string (poly) on the market, period. i don't think anything can even come close, considering that the luxes above are standard-bearing polys worth their price to many people. the ALU loses in the tension department and the BBO loses in the gauge department; the big hitter comes in 18g (1.20) too; go figure.

Ben Bangin
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I have this string (blue version) in my lineup and can't wait to use it. With all the rave reviews and price, I'm surprised it's not as popular.

Nanshiki
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
It's starting to get a little soft now... might need to take the tension up next time.

Lefty5
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
It's starting to get a little soft now... might need to take the tension up next time.

I like to string it up about 2-3 lbs above normal, that is when the magic happens.

ebrainsoft
03-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I like to string it up about 2-3 lbs above normal, that is when the magic happens.

I also increased the tension 3 lbs. and I feel it has more spin and control. Don't be afraid to string these polys tight. I have them strung at 62lbs (one piece) on a Tecnifibre, TFight 335 16x20.

chizzle
03-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I have this string (blue version) in my lineup and can't wait to use it. With all the rave reviews and price, I'm surprised it's not as popular.

I bought a couple packs of silver 1.25. Didn't realize the blue was softer. OK, will try blue next time.

I can't keep strings in my rackets now (any hybrid is dying after 6 sets). Hope this can be somewhat of an answer. Will string it up tonight and play tomorrow.

ClubHoUno
03-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Can anyone compare the BIG HITTER to the WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 versions ?

My playing buddy needs a cheaper version of Alu Power and I have recommended Silverstring (even though it's not as crisp as Alu Power), Cyberflash and Big Hitter (based on rumours in here)

jackson vile
03-24-2010, 04:43 PM

This is 100% correct

SlapShot
03-24-2010, 08:05 PM
I just burned through a set of BH grey, and it is great when fresh. I think I have to up the tension a bit though - had it at 58, need to try 60.

I think I only got 3 good hours out of it, but it's got a lot of bite - might just pony up for a reel and live with the short lifespan.

coyfish
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I just burned through a set of BH grey, and it is great when fresh. I think I have to up the tension a bit though - had it at 58, need to try 60.

I think I only got 3 good hours out of it, but it's got a lot of bite - might just pony up for a reel and live with the short lifespan.

Wow you burned through full poly set in 3 hours ! Thats some serious hitting.

Im no slouch and it takes me about 9-10 hours to break my BH / syn gut hyrbid.

SlapShot
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow you burned through full poly set in 3 hours ! Thats some serious hitting.

Im no slouch and it takes me about 9-10 hours to break my BH / syn gut hyrbid.

I haven't broken it yet, but the playability is all but gone - I'm going to goose the tension a hair to see if I can get more out of it.

I rarely break poly, I tend to cut it out long before it breaks - I just love the feeling of a fresh setup, and since I bought a nice stringer for myself for Christmas, might as well make use of it. ;)

chizzle
03-26-2010, 06:52 AM
I haven't broken it yet, but the playability is all but gone - I'm going to goose the tension a hair to see if I can get more out of it.

I rarely break poly, I tend to cut it out long before it breaks - I just love the feeling of a fresh setup, and since I bought a nice stringer for myself for Christmas, might as well make use of it. ;)

So I strung up the BH silver 1.25 in the mains last night with TNT 16 crosses. I noticed the string wasn't as "slick" or (seemingly) "oily" as some others I've recently tried (like Head Sonic Pro, or M2 Pro). Not sure what that means, but I've read (glanced) at some threads that say that adds spin.?.?

I'll post my feedback soon.

coyfish
03-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Damn thats a big investment in strings you make. . .

I have played with all sorts of poly and what people say about it "dying" after a couple hours is a bit extreme imo. Its going to lose a couple lbs of tension but only after about 9+ hours will it get too lose to enjoy imo.

But I have used luxilon and I understand. Nothing beats the feeling of fresh lux for a couple hours. But after that it feels like any other poly which is why its not worth it for me.

Decker
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Definitely the UBH is a high performance/cost string.

Used UBH silver 17 on Head Pro Tour @ 58/58lb & PS Classic @ 51/53lb, planning to go at lower tension when restringing, just wonder how it will perform at low tension range [eg 40~50lb] ? Anyone have tried it could share your view ?

Looking forward to try the UBH blue also.

MomentumGT
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
UBH Silver is a very good string especially on the groundies. To me the tension lasted for a decent amount of time before it started going dead. I use my strings till they break and it still generated a lot of spin for me with my AG200s. I prefer the Blue over the Silver as i feel it has more spin and lasts longer than the Silver but it is softer so I string it 2lbs higher to compensate.

-Jon

Nanshiki
03-26-2010, 03:45 PM

I have played with all sorts of poly and what people say about it "dying" after a couple hours is a bit extreme imo. Its going to lose a couple lbs of tension but only after about 9+ hours will it get too lose to enjoy imo.

But I have used luxilon and I understand. Nothing beats the feeling of fresh lux for a couple hours. But after that it feels like any other poly which is why its not worth it for me.

Fresh ALU POWER makes the best sound of any poly, period. It's the ONLY poly that will give you a THWOCK sound instead of a TWICK (with a slight ping) sound... other strings might play like worn-in ALU, but they'll never match the feel of a fresh job.

SlapShot
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM

I found that I was adjusting my strokes after 3-4 hours, which is why I think I should up the tension to start with. I can usually get 6-7 out of a decent poly, but then again, I tend to hit hard and flat, which means that I don't break strings, but I sure do wear them out.

schap02
03-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Nice smooth ride, has a good bit of power as well...

moronicfreak
03-30-2010, 05:32 AM
whats the diff between this and cyber blue? they look exactly the same!

Greg Raven
03-30-2010, 05:48 AM
Unique Big Hitter Blue 17 is my "go to" string for my racquets. I don't agree, however, with the comparisons to Luxilon Alu Power -- it's very different. For one, BHB has a much more linear feel than Alu Power, by which I mean to say that you don't get that super trampoline effect when you really crank into the ball. The pros may like that about Alu Power, but I don't.

Also, Alu Power's response goes three at least four age-related stages: Fresh its stiff but playable; after a couple of hours it's perfect; after a week it's like playing with a trampoline; and then after two weeks it settles in until it breaks. BHB is more linear in this respect as well, IMHO.

kcmiser
03-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Unique Big Hitter Blue 17 is my "go to" string for my racquets. I don't agree, however, with the comparisons to Luxilon Alu Power -- it's very different. For one, BHB has a much more linear feel than Alu Power, by which I mean to say that you don't get that super trampoline effect when you really crank into the ball. The pros may like that about Alu Power, but I don't.

Also, Alu Power's response goes three at least four age-related stages: Fresh its stiff but playable; after a couple of hours it's perfect; after a week it's like playing with a trampoline; and then after two weeks it settles in until it breaks. BHB is more linear in this respect as well, IMHO.

I would agree that Big Hitter Blue and Alu Power are totally dissimilar. The Big Hitter Gray is very much like a slightly softer Alu, while the Big Hitter Blue is its own kind of thing. Much softer than the Alu/Gray, and for a player wanting something more responsive. I took this thread to have initially been specifically about the gray, but eventually discussion of the blue seeped in.

dgoran
03-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Dode you got me lost... I think you are colorblind, if you are my apologies :)

coyfish
03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
Fresh ALU POWER makes the best sound of any poly, period. It's the ONLY poly that will give you a THWOCK sound instead of a TWICK (with a slight ping) sound... other strings might play like worn-in ALU, but they'll never match the feel of a fresh job.

I agree but paying that much money for 3 hours isn't worth it for me. String brands don't make a huge difference for me.

Lefty5
03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
agree the lux might be the best for a short period of time. Great for pro's who get it for free, bad for poor me who has to pay a lot for those 2 hours of play. I'm not on the pro tour so give me a good string that is affordable and I am happy.

Murray_fan1
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Has anyone tried the rough version of Big hitter blue? Any comparisons to the original?

moronicfreak
03-31-2010, 06:19 AM
i meant BHB, and cyber blue! they look exactly the same! DOH

chizzle
03-31-2010, 01:55 PM
So I tried the UBH Silver 17 today with TNT 16 crosses. Felt just as good as anything else I've tried:

Bab revenge, Head Sonic Pro, Gamma Power...

I really couldn't tell the difference. Which is great news for me. I was able to really mash some balls. Everything felt solid.

Now, can I find something as nice (or feels as nice) as TNT for a couple/few bucks less?