PDA

View Full Version : Racket string for kids?

gplracer
03-21-2010, 10:54 AM
My son is a tournament player in his teens and he plays with a Technifiber Redcode (Poly). My younger son is 7 and plays a lot of tournaments with a 25" frame. The strings are a year old now and looking worn. Should I re-string it and with what. He has good topsin ground strokes and is very advanced for his age having had lots of instruction for several years. He recently won a 10 and under tournament. Would the technifiber redcode be a bad string choice for such a young player? I am sure he would get more bite on the ball.

mikro112
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I'd go with a multi string at this age. Comfort is more important at that age than anything else!

Check out this database for string comparisons: http://www.stringforum.net/stringsearch.php

philosoraptor
03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
how about a cheap natural gut? kids probably wont break strings that fast...plus itd be great for his strokes

gplracer
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
A cheap natural gut is an idea. I thought about Wilson NXT Tour as well. Do you think it would make much of a difference with regard to playability and spin potential over the likely cheap string that has been in the racket for over a year?

brownbearfalling
03-22-2010, 12:11 AM
If he gets used to playing with natural gut, that would be costly. I suggest rainbow colored strings.

rich s
03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
My son is a tournament player in his teens and he plays with a Technifiber Redcode (Poly). My younger son is 7 and plays a lot of tournaments with a 25" frame. The strings are a year old now and looking worn. Should I re-string it and with what. He has good topsin ground strokes and is very advanced for his age having had lots of instruction for several years. He recently won a 10 and under tournament. Would the technifiber redcode be a bad string choice for such a young player? I am sure he would get more bite on the ball.

Get a reasonably priced multi (or a soft Syn Gut) for your 7 year old. Poly's are too harsh IMO....especially for a 7 y/o.

examples: Yonex Tour Super 850, Wilson Sensation, Babolat Addiction, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

Pricier multis are TF X-One Biphase, TF NRG2, Wilson NXT

my $.02

gameboy
03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
I would highly recommend a cheap gut for kids. They don't break strings and since they hold tension better, they will last a very long time.

I string my 8 yr old's racquet with Global Gut.

PimpMyGame
03-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Cheap multi or comfortable syn gut at age 7. A lot of my son's friends (aged 12) use stuff like Pro Red Code but I haven't let him get anywhere near a string that stiff yet.