PDA

View Full Version : So many strings,so little time :(

WilsonFX
03-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to find the right string,but seeing that i'm shortly going on 17 and don't have a job,I don't have the kind of money to experiment with all of the strings.I'm not really a string breaker,but I was thinking of doing a poly with a multi or synthetic gut,but not sure which ones to choose.I've thought of:
Babolat Hurricane
Head Sonic Pro
Luxilon Big Banger
Technifibre X-One Biphase
Babolat Xcel
N.VY..well idk these have all been potential strings,but I don't know what to pick.I don't hit too hard,but I hit with a good amount of topspin and it takes me about 15 hours to break hollow core(if that helps,lol).I probably WOULDN'T break a poly.period.I would have to restring before I broke it.Anyways,please help,thanks!

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
03-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Babolat Pro Hurricane and Xcel work well in a hybrid; if you want something a tad bit softer than PH, Pro Hurricane Tour is a good choice as well. Not too expensive for a hybrid, and feels very nice. If you can, get one of the Hurricanes in a thinner gauge, and Xcel in 16 gauge.

WilsonFX
03-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Okay thanks.Oh and also my main stick is the Youtek Speed MP 16x19 if that helps.

WilsonFX
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
bump 10 char

brownbearfalling
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
If you are really in a money crunch try some of the other cheaper polys. Then buy a reel of Gosen micro syn gut for $30. That is a good set up

Valjean
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey guys I'm trying to find the right string,but seeing that i'm shortly going on 17 and don't have a job,I don't have the kind of money to experiment with all of the strings.I'm not really a string breaker,but I was thinking of doing a poly with a multi or synthetic gut,but not sure which ones to choose.I've thought of:
Babolat Hurricane
Head Sonic Pro
Luxilon Big Banger
Babolat Xcel
N.VY..well idk these have all been potential strings,but I don't know what to pick.I don't hit too hard,but I hit with a good amount of topspin and it takes me about 15 hours to break hollow core(if that helps,lol).I probably WOULDN'T break a poly.period.I would have to restring before I broke it.Anyways,please help,thanks!
Based on what you have said about yourself, from the string list provided do N.vy and forget the rest for now.

WilsonFX
03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
If you are really in a money crunch try some of the other cheaper polys. Then buy a reel of Gosen micro syn gut for $30. That is a good set up

It's not that money is tight,it's that I don't want to spend money to try tons of strings,I just want to pick one and spend money on IT.This may sound ignorant considering that everyone is different and I should see what's good for me,but I just wanted to get some other's opinions.

Big_Dangerous
03-21-2010, 06:19 PM
It's not that money is tight,it's that I don't want to spend money to try tons of strings,I just want to pick one and spend money on IT.This may sound ignorant considering that everyone is different and I should see what's good for me,but I just wanted to get some other's opinions.

Yeah I see what you mean.

I've used Luxilon ALU power rough and it's a nice string but it's not very arm friendly.

I've got Head Sonic Pro on my Speed Pro and it's not too bad.

I think for my money I'd go with PHT, it's a nice Poly string, it doesn't cost too much and for me it last a while and I like what I get out of it. You could try to do a hybrid with it as well as mentioned, but yeah that's my recommendation.

Or you could wait like 10 or so days for RPM blast to come out, I think it's scheduled to come out on the first of April. I hear that it's supposed to be Babolats best non Natural gut string

WilsonFX
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah I see what you mean.

I've used Luxilon ALU power rough and it's a nice string but it's not very arm friendly.

I've got Head Sonic Pro on my Speed Pro and it's not too bad.

I think for my money I'd go with PHT, it's a nice Poly string, it doesn't cost too much and for me it last a while and I like what I get out of it. You could try to do a hybrid with it as well as mentioned, but yeah that's my recommendation.

Or you could wait like 10 or so days for RPM blast to come out, I think it's scheduled to come out on the first of April. I hear that it's supposed to be Babolats best non Natural gut string

exciting.thanks :)

WilsonFX
03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Wait..A poly and syn gut is a typical setup am I right?My friend is a stringer(novice that also has an X-2)and he was telling me that syn guy and poly was weird,but I thought it was typical.Well on that note,I'm thinking of a few setups and I'd like y'alls opinions please :D
Thinking of blending these polys with either Babolat Syn Gut,OG Sheep Micro,or maybe Sensation unless y'all have better suggestions:
Pro Supex Blue Gear
Head Sonic Pro
Babolat Pro Hurricane

Opinions please,thanks!

toeknee
03-25-2010, 01:21 AM
weird? i would stop taking advice from that friend.. jk. all jokes aside, like brownbearfalling said, poly mains and synGut crosses is one of the most common hybrids that can be had for cheap, with good results!

Also, i would recommend you checking out the String Trade thread on here.. there are a lot of nice and honest ppl that visit this forum that may be willing to work something out with you, via it be trading or buying..

Good luck

JT_2eighty
03-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Be forewarned though... if you are not a string breaker, poly strings tend to lose most of their elasticity after about 6-20 hours of play time, depending on which one you use. Once this elasticity/resilience is gone, the string stiffens up, "goes dead" as some call it, and although it hasn't broken, could cause you some arm issues down the road.

And in my experience, PHT is one that dies sooner than others (around 6-10 hours of play time), so that is some frequent restringing that won't go well with your budget. From your list, I hear Head sonic pro is one of the better ones for longer playability. I would take a look at some of the threads on best poly's for tension maintenance, to find one that will play well the longest for you. Sometimes it's worth paying a few extra bucks for a string that you'll have to restring less often. Also, what is your style of play? This may impact which is the optimum string for you.

When i played in HS, i just used full beds of syn gut and played them til they broke, but this was in the 90s before the poly craze. Another good one to try that is solid on control and feel is Head RIP Intellitour.

parasailing
03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
I totally agree with Pro Hurricane going dead rather quickly.

If you have arm issues, I would try Babolat Xcel or Technifibre X-one. These two are my favorite multifilament with X-one offering more power and crispness.

Racer41c
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Babolat Hurricane
Head Sonic Pro
Luxilon Big Banger
Babolat Xcel

No Job? Will sweep courts for strings?

JK (sorta), because you have a few expensive strings on your list.

Cup8489
03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Wait..A poly and syn gut is a typical setup am I right?My friend is a stringer(novice that also has an X-2)and he was telling me that syn guy and poly was weird,but I thought it was typical.Well on that note,I'm thinking of a few setups and I'd like y'alls opinions please :D
Thinking of blending these polys with either Babolat Syn Gut,OG Sheep Micro,or maybe Sensation unless y'all have better suggestions:
Pro Supex Blue Gear
Head Sonic Pro
Babolat Pro Hurricane

Opinions please,thanks!

truthfully, based on the fact that you just arent a stringbreaker, you must not get too much batspeed. poly is only really good for stringbreakers and those with higher swingspeed. otherwise it's nothing really special. It's hard to beat a reel of Gosen Micro, easy to string, cheap, and will get the job done.

JT_2eighty
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
My advice, for good strings at low cost:

MSV hex mains, gosen syn gut cross. Keeps it under $10 a job. MSV has good playability over time.

For a little more, use signum pro poly plasma mains, as these also have better longevity for a poly.

If you don't HAVE to use poly, then just use Prince synthetic gut wearguard 16g in a full job, or Gamma synthetic 16g. I know some really solid 4.5+ players at my club that are very very consistent, power players, and they mostly use full syn gut. This will help you focus on technique instead of being distracted by the multitude of strings out there. It has worked for many many many players before this whole poly craze took off, and still does for many.

coyfish
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
truthfully, based on the fact that you just arent a stringbreaker, you must not get too much batspeed. poly is only really good for stringbreakers and those with higher swingspeed. otherwise it's nothing really special. It's hard to beat a reel of Gosen Micro, easy to string, cheap, and will get the job done.

I agree. If your not a stringbreaker than you really don't need to be using poly. Using poly will probably be less cost effective since the strings will die after 10-12 hours and you will most likely have to cut them out.

If your on a budget than avoid the top name strings like luxilon,gamma, and babolat. There are tons of great alternatives that wont break the bank.

MuscleWeave
03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm a non-string breaker, and I've been using a multifilament called Tecnifibre Multifeel as a full bed. It's soft, has great pocketing, feel and spin, and after the intitial tension loss, it lasts a long time. It's only $9.50 per set.

That being said, I'm currently trying out polys and hybrids. The one that seems to be the best for me so far is Tecnifibre Pro Red Code (M) / Multifeel (X), MF 3 lbs. higher than PRC. It has more power on the serve than on groundstrokes, and during the split second that the ball is on the strings, it feels like they grab the ball.

WilsonFX
03-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Alright..yeah now I realize a poly wouldn't really be appropriate.On that note,I'm going with a reel of sheep.35 bucks,can't go wrong.