PDA

View Full Version : Prince Premier LT is an excellent multifilament

Ivan Lendl's Backhand
03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm really surpised that there hasn't been more talk about this string. Been using this as a 1.30 in a full bed, and also recently as a hybrid with Lux Adrenaline.

Pros:

* Very consistent performance
* Excellent tension maintenance
* Excellent control
* Powerful but not overly so
* Comfortable but doesn't produce a 'soggy' stringbed.
* Slightly stiffer stringbed that the likes of Xcel or X-1 Biphase.
* Slight 'pocketing' feel when hitting the ball but not too much or too little
* Good dwell time on contact with the ball
* Relatively good spin (for a multi)

Cons:

* None really, apart from maybe price.
* Maybe a bit more feel, but I don't think you're going to get increased feel without making the string softer, in which case its other characteristics are likely to change.
* Availability in UK isn't very good (I had to order hybrid sets through TW Europe)

I've tried Xcel, X1-Biphase, NXT, NXT Tour, Addiction, and Multifeel, and for me this is best string out of the lot. X1 is slightly springier, Xcel more powerful, but none of them provide such an even and consistent blend of characteristics. It's comfortable but not mushy. It's powerful but not too powerful. It has a reasonable amount of firmness (for a multi) but it's not sitff. It just seems to have a good, even and consistent balance in so many areas.

This is an excellent string.

Valjean
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Here is the USRSA's playtest, which produced high values for this string: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/03/10_prince_premier_lt.html. Personally, though, I was disappointed when it didn't seem to offer more feel, and played almost stiffer than, Babolat's Addiction, which I think is its closest comparison. I wonder if you have tried Prince's Premier itself?

And in the same price range, I'd still take Tecnifibre's XR3 over Prince's Premier LT.

Ivan Lendl's Backhand
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Did you allow the string to settle? It seems to take an hour or so of sitting to properly 'bed in'.

It's a strange thing because I actually prefer the fact that the stringbed feels slightly stiffer that your normal mushy multi. I also really like the fact that it maintains tension so well and that unlike multis like NXT, its performance doesn't fall off a cliff by turning into a trampoline.

As for the comparison with Addiction, I think its alot smoother, more consistent and offers more control than Addiction (which isn't strictly a multi, but a monofil with multifil wrap). It feels less crude that Addiction.

Haven't tried XR3 or NRG2. They're both monofilaments with multifilament wraps aren't they?

Valjean
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
NRG2 is a true multifilament; here is the XR3's playtest: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/05/tecnifibre_xr3.html.

Maybe you'd like to contrast the LT with Hollow Core now, not a favorite string of mine too :), though for me they play a lot alike: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/04/19_wilson_hollow_core_16.html

NewGuy
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
My daughter used nxt for years. I shifted her to Maxim Touch during some stroke changes (primarily for cost), and she liked that too. I was lucky enough to get the Volkl Catapult when it was on sale here, so we're running through that stock now. But in answer to the OP, she has tried Premier LT and liked it quite a lot. It will be our next string. :)

tlm
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Prince premier lt is definitely a great string.I have gotten away from polys+ have tried many multis now.

I can say without a doubt it is at the very top, not many as good.The only one i found so far is laserfibre prostock,which is the best string period to me.But unfortunately it is not available.

Yehan
03-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I tried 17g and I was very disappointed with it also. It had good power, but broke them in less than 4 hours and feel was not great. Was not crisp.

03-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm really surpised that there hasn't been more talk about this string. Been using this as a 1.30 in a full bed, and also recently as a hybrid with Lux Adrenaline.

Pros:

* Very consistent performance
* Excellent tension maintenance
* Excellent control
* Powerful but not overly so
* Comfortable but doesn't produce a 'soggy' stringbed.
* Slightly stiffer stringbed that the likes of Xcel or X-1 Biphase.
* Slight 'pocketing' feel when hitting the ball but not too much or too little
* Good dwell time on contact with the ball
* Relatively good spin (for a multi)

Cons:

* None really, apart from maybe price.

I've tried Xcel, X1-Biphase, NXT, NXT Tour, Addiction, and Multifeel, and for me this is best string out of the lot. X1 is slightly springier, Xcel more powerful, but none of them provide such an even and consistent blend of characteristics. It's powerful but not too powerful. It's comfortable but not mushy. It seems to have a good even and consistent balance in so many areas.

This is an excellent string.

I totally agree, this is a great string. Although 18 gauge only lasts me about 6 hours (I hit the ball very flat) it is well worth it from a comfort perspective.

Valjean
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
My daughter used nxt for years. I shifted her to Maxim Touch during some stroke changes (primarily for cost), and she liked that too. I was lucky enough to get the Volkl Catapult when it was on sale here, so we're running through that stock now. But in answer to the OP, she has tried Premier LT and liked it quite a lot. It will be our next string. :)
If she tried and liked the Catapult, perhaps Volkl's newest one, Gripper, would please her as well. It is a *textured* multifilament designed for enhanced spin--until Gripper, IMHO, not a terribly successful idea...

GS
03-22-2010, 10:22 AM
For years, I was hooked on Tecnifibre's 515 17 gauge, then they discontinued it, their flagship string. Best soft multi in the world (I tried em all). So I bought the last 10 sets that TW had. Now Tecnifibre says their TGV string is the replacement. The specs look good on it, so I'll try it pretty soon.

NewGuy
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
good suggestion, will take a look at gripper -- I must say at under $5 the catapult was awfully likeable. . ..

Valjean
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
good suggestion, will take a look at gripper -- I must say at under $5 the catapult was awfully likeable. . ..
At around $5, still, Alpha Gut 2000 is too.

NewGuy
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
thanks for another good suggestion:

Alpha Gut 2000 16 Nylon 1.33 187 11.23

NewGuy
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Power Fiber II (catapult successor):

Volkl Power Fiber II 16 Nylon 1.30 194 11.20

NewGuy
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
And on softness, the Alpha tests the same as the OP's recommendation:

Prince Premier LT 16 Nylon 1.29 187 16.72

Valjean
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Power Fiber II (catapult successor):

Volkl Power Fiber II 16 Nylon 1.30 194 11.20
I don't recommend Power Fiber II to you; it's very average in play.

couch
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
My wife now uses this string and likes it a lot. She used to use Laserfibre Elite but it's next to impossible to get anymore so I told her she needed to switch.

I don't think she likes it quite as much as the LF Elite but it's a pretty good substitute.

I also think my local pro shop sells a ton of it. I think they put it in a lot of womens racquets given that a lot of them are using stiff, head-heavy, racquets. :-)

ClubHoUno
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
It's one of the better multis out there but didn't make my Multi Top 5 list.

It lacks crispness and feels mushy and soft. I tried Premier LT at 2 tension levels in 2 different racquets.

Tension retention is poor compared to both NRG2, X-One and Xcel Power.
String movement was also a problem with this multi.

Ivan Lendl's Backhand
03-23-2010, 05:49 AM

It's difficult to take your views about strings seriously.

First you say that Hyperion is the most amazing string ever. Then you say its Timo. Then you say its Silverstring. You've also said that you supposed never play with anything other than natural gut in a hybrid setup.

Your views seem to be very fickle and unreliable.

LT in 1.30 doesn't feel soft and mushy. Neither is string movement or tension loss a problem. It's a even feeling, consistent string with a very good balance of characteristics.

Valjean
03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
For years, I was hooked on Tecnifibre's 515 17 gauge, then they discontinued it, their flagship string. Best soft multi in the world (I tried em all). So I bought the last 10 sets that TW had. Now Tecnifibre says their TGV string is the replacement. The specs look good on it, so I'll try it pretty soon.
Before there was TGV, Prince birthed their Premier with Softflex--which is, to my mind, even a legitimate improvement on 515 (and was intended to be).

As for TGV itself, I was surprised to find their XR3, which came out about the same time and was meant to replace a completely different string, played softer than TGV.

drakulie
03-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Agree.

I have a couple of customers who use this string, typically 17 gauge, and mostly women, although I do have a few men I string this for. Last night, one of the top 4.5 players in the state gave me his two frames to string (both with the premier LT).

They all love it.