PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest string

dantesinferno18
03-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Hello everone, The high school season is starting up and i string for my team. Most people get just a plain synthetic gut. My question is what is the cheapest syn gut, i am thinking about getting another Gosen og micro reel but if there is one for under $2 a set I will just buy a good amount of those.(i am just looking to get as much profit as i can) PLease help me out, and thanks to everyone who does.

coyfish
03-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Lol so you wan't to give everyone crappy string to achieve your own end?? Pretty selfish but its your choice.

Gosen OGM is among the cheapest syn guts out there. Its also a good string. So I would just stick with that one. I know babolat and prince have strings that are 3.50 for a pack. If im not mistaken the gosen is also under 4 bucks so . . .

tennis005
03-21-2010, 07:43 PM
+1 for Gosen OG Sheep Micro.

stanfordtennis alum
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
gosen og micro is the cheapest syn gut out there

armsty
03-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Forten Comp Nylon if you're ripping them off hard. I use it for kids who will never break unless they frame it. Usually the 9-11 year olds

stanfordtennis alum
03-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Forten Comp Nylon if you're ripping them off hard. I use it for kids who will never break unless they frame it. Usually the 9-11 year olds

agree with you here but the OP mentioned what the cheapest syn gut is..

mad dog1
03-21-2010, 08:48 PM
agree with you here but the OP mentioned what the cheapest syn gut is..

yeah, the OP did mention syn gut, but syn gut is basically nylon w/ a more sophisticated name :)

ManuGinobili
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Gosen OG Micro will help u get the profit while provide the players a quality syn gut....

Be glad the OP at least put a thought into asking what string, unlike stringers in my area who carry all kinds of crappy syn gut lol

Steve Huff
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
With that attitude toward stringing, I wouldn't want you to string my racket anyway. Build on quality, not just profit.

Kenny022593
03-21-2010, 09:13 PM

This is where I chime in with a fancy come back.

COPEY
03-22-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm curious to know how much he's charging.

mikeler
03-22-2010, 06:17 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_Tournament_Nylon_15L_String/descpageACPRINCE-PN.html

$1.49 per set.

Lambsscroll
03-22-2010, 06:42 AM
RIGHT HERE!!! Ashaway Liberty 16 String 720' Reels at 22.00 bucks.

The funny thing is this string isn't that bad either. Durability is ok. Kinda of a soft feeling string which isn't a bad thing. It doesn't stretch too much when stringing. Its a good deal. Also comes in 15L which is even better since this is for high school kids.

tennis005
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
^^^ Not all high school kids break strings often so 16 gauge would be ok.

Xenakis
03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Gamma Advantage 15L is pretty cheap too. Got a 220m reel of it today for 25. Slightly cheaper than Ashaway Liberty here in the UK (that's about 32 a 220m reel, black is the cheapest for some reason.)

goober
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Hello everone, The high school season is starting up and i string for my team. Most people get just a plain synthetic gut. My question is what is the cheapest syn gut, i am thinking about getting another Gosen og micro reel but if there is one for under $2 a set I will just buy a good amount of those.(i am just looking to get as much profit as i can) PLease help me out, and thanks to everyone who does.

If you are looking to maximize profit- go for a reel of gosen 17g syn gut. The 17g will lend itself to breaking more frequently which means more business for you. Keep some 15L nylon on hand if some of your customers start complaining about breaking their strings too frequently.

dantesinferno18
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Ok thanks for the feedback everyone. By the way i charge $15(thats includine the string). The kids on my team HONESTLY dont care about what kind of string they use there are 3 kids that i know of on my team that are picky about their string. so dont bash me about being a cheap*****.

mikeler
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
If you are looking to maximize profit- go for a reel of gosen 17g syn gut. The 17g will lend itself to breaking more frequently which means more business for you. Keep some 15L nylon on hand if some of your customers start complaining about breaking their strings too frequently.

I was going to suggest that, but it just felt too evil...:twisted:

goober
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
I was going to suggest that, but it just felt too evil...:twisted:

I was just answering the question, not making moral judgements:)

tennisINmyBLOOD
03-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Gosen OG Sheep Micro. If you had nylon at that price, I'd probably look somewhere else. Even this kids on my high school team steer away from nylon and they don't even care what they use.

And btw, I should probably raise my prices or something... I do synthetics for $10, Focus Hex for $12 and anything else people bring to me is $5 labor.

jim e
03-22-2010, 03:32 PM
And btw, I should probably raise my prices or something... I do synthetics for $10, Focus Hex for $12 and anything else people bring to me is $5 labor.

WoW! I use to charge $10.00/ labor over 40 years ago. And needless to say, my prices have gone up.Have you not heard of inflation, or cost of living going up!
Let me ask you this, what happens when someone brings in a racquet, and you did not notice a small hairline crack in the frame,(as you did not notice as you are so buisy as you only charge $5.00, so time is of the essence), and you start to string it up, and cracks.Naturally you feel bad, and replace the racquet. You would need to string a pile of racquets at $5.00 labor just to break even.
I remember some time ago, when I had a customer bring in a racquet that had a broken string that I just recently strung with all nat. gut.Naturally I appologised, commented on gut that can happen, restrung at no charge, and later found out from another player that that individule picked up a stone and hit it and thats what broke the string!That incident made me at that time up prices, and I still got the racquets to string.
Things like this happen, along with the misshit, or other reasons to have early breakage, that the stringer was not at fault, but swallows the price anyways to keep the client happy.
Things like this happen and should be incorporated into your price, but do as you will as its your time and buisness.
At $5.00/ labor / racquet even if you are fast, the shoe shine person at the airport makes more than that.Stringing racquets done properly takes a skill, and its a craft. Anyone can shine shoes, but do you want anyone to string your racquet?

tennisINmyBLOOD
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
WoW! I use to charge $10.00/ labor over 40 years ago. And needless to say, my prices have gone up.Have you not heard of inflation, or cost of living going up!
Let me ask you this, what happens when someone brings in a racquet, and you did not notice a small hairline crack in the frame,(as you did not notice as you are so buisy as you only charge $5.00, so time is of the essence), and you start to string it up, and cracks.Naturally you feel bad, and replace the racquet. You would need to string a pile of racquets at $5.00 labor just to break even.
I remember some time ago, when I had a customer bring in a racquet that had a broken string that I just recently strung with all nat. gut.Naturally I appologised, commented on gut that can happen, restrung at no charge, and later found out from another player that that individule picked up a stone and hit it and thats what broke the string!That incident made me at that time up prices, and I still got the racquets to string.
Things like this happen, along with the misshit, or other reasons to have early breakage, that the stringer was not at fault, but swallows the price anyways to keep the client happy.
Things like this happen and should be incorporated into your price, but do as you will as its your time and buisness.
At $5.00/ labor / racquet even if you are fast, the shoe shine person at the airport makes more than that.Stringing racquets done properly takes a skill, and its a craft. Anyone can shine shoes, but do you want anyone to string your racquet?

Thanks for your input but hey, I'm just a kid in high school. I have a Gamma X-2 which I have paid off (using the five dollars everyone has paid me to get their racket strung). I like to do people a favor and be a blessing to them. For five bucks a racket, I do a pretty darn good job in 45 minutes. I do check cracked grommets and inspect the racket before stringing and tell the customer before I string.

If I didn't have a career in mind, I would string rackets in my own pro shop in a split second. Of course, my prices would then definitely go up to about $12-15 for labor. Like you said, stringing is a craft and a skill, and that is exactly how I see it. Really though, I enjoy stringing more than I enjoy the money.

retlod
03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Offer them a sophisticated hybrid option as well: OG Micro in the crosses and Gosen Polylon in the mains. That stuff is cheap as dirt, too, and if it dies you'll get to restring again!

tennis005
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
^^^ I agree. Good strings for an even better price.

retlod
03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your input but hey, I'm just a kid in high school. I have a Gamma X-2 which I have paid off (using the five dollars everyone has paid me to get their racket strung). I like to do people a favor and be a blessing to them. For five bucks a racket, I do a pretty darn good job in 45 minutes. I do check cracked grommets and inspect the racket before stringing and tell the customer before I string.

If I didn't have a career in mind, I would string rackets in my own pro shop in a split second. Of course, my prices would then definitely go up to about $12-15 for labor. Like you said, stringing is a craft and a skill, and that is exactly how I see it. Really though, I enjoy stringing more than I enjoy the money.

You sound like a nice kid, but you could double your rate and still be the least expensive show in town. You can't have a mission without a margin. Out of curiosity, what are your career plans?

tennisINmyBLOOD
03-23-2010, 12:05 AM
You sound like a nice kid, but you could double your rate and still be the least expensive show in town. You can't have a mission without a margin. Out of curiosity, what are your career plans?

I just string mostly for my closest buddies. No one seems to trust a girl (yes, I am a girl) stringing a racket. I plan to be a Nurse Practitioner after high school.

COPEY
03-23-2010, 03:21 AM
I just string mostly for my closest buddies. No one seems to trust a girl (yes, I am a girl) stringing a racket. I plan to be a Nurse Practitioner after high school.

LOL well I'll tell ya, if I didn't own a stringer, and someone told me I could get my racquet restrung at the rates you charge, I wouldn't care if you were a boy, girl, chimpanze, goat...whatever--you'd be my new personal stringer!

It's good that you like stringing, and that you string for your buddies, but I definitely agree with retlod and jim e; you could double your rate and still be the best deal around. If you get people outside of your 'inner circle' who ask for a string job, tell them the rate is $10 labor plus the price of the string. That's a heck of a bargain compared to the standard $15/$20 labor you pay at a racquet club, not to mention the marked up string prices. They win because they save at least $8 over what they'd normally pay, and you win because you get duly compensated for your time/efforts. Give it some thought. ;)

mikeler
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
$10 is the lowest I've heard around here for any home stringers. $12 is the lowest for a pro stringing.

tennisINmyBLOOD
03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
LOL well I'll tell ya, if I didn't own a stringer, and someone told me I could get my racquet restrung at the rates you charge, I wouldn't care if you were a boy, girl, chimpanze, goat...whatever--you'd be my new personal stringer!

It's good that you like stringing, and that you string for your buddies, but I definitely agree with retlod and jim e; you could double your rate and still be the best deal around. If you get people outside of your 'inner circle' who ask for a string job, tell them the rate is $10 labor plus the price of the string. That's a heck of a bargain compared to the standard $15/$20 labor you pay at a racquet club, not to mention the marked up string prices. They win because they save at least $8 over what they'd normally pay, and you win because you get duly compensated for your time/efforts. Give it some thought. ;)

Good idea :) It's just everyone on my team knows I string for $5 so I guess I'll be sticking to that price just for those people, as it brings me good business. Other people I will definitely think about raising the prices.

Ambivalent
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
You can get a reel of forten nylon on TW for 16.99...
660 feet is about 17 stringjobs if you cut it right, and if you're stringing mostly 16x18 and 16x19 as opposed to 18x20s..

pvaudio
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
This isn't even a contest: sheep micro 17. They get the best syn gut on the market with extra playability, plus with the thinner gauge you'll be getting more business.

tennis005
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
I would stick with the Gosen 16 not 17 as if it's 17 gauge, it will break pretty quick and people will blame "bad stringing" for the breakage.