PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop MAX 200G vs Yonex R-22?

bondchen
03-23-2010, 07:54 AM
How to compare Dunlop MAX 200G and Yonex R-22?
Power?
Spin?
Flexible?
Control?
baseline preformance?
volley preformance?

galain
03-23-2010, 08:04 AM
You know - it's an interesting matchup that never occurred to me before.

I find the Max 200G very tension sensitive - more so than the R22 I think, so power is very dependent on this.

Power - I give the edge to the R22. I think it has more inherent power. The Max 200G begs you to murder the ball (well, it does me), and that's a wonderful thing about this stick. If I used the R22 with the same mentality I'd be hitting long a lot more.

Spin - the Yonex, hands down.

Flex - the Dunlop, although the R22 is a beautiful soft feeling frame. I do think the Dunlop did as was advertised - stiffened on impact, but it starts as a very soft frame, so stiffening on impact is not real biggie.

Control - the Dunlop, but I think it's a less forgiving frame than the Yonex. If you're good enough to consistently find the middle, the Dunlop I think has better control.

Baseline - splitting hairs here and I think a lot depends on personal preference and playing style. Hold a gun to my head and I'd take the Dunlop, only because I really have fun giving the ball an almighty whack! I'd be just as happy with the Yonex to be honest.

Volley - the Yonex just feels more forgiving and easier to move; it wins this one.

I found it strange that the Max 200G is synonymous with McEnroe because the way I feel it play, it really seems to me to suit a power game more. It's a unique and extremely fun frame to play with.

The R22 is a real classic and I think one of Yonex's very best. I can't think of anything it does wrong and it is silky smooth to play with.

Thanks for posting this - it was fun to think back on them both and I look forward to reading what others have to say.

retrowagen
03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Apples and oranges.

Both have a "lively" feel (albeit in a very different way), and both are good all-round frames (suitable for baseline, all-court, or serve and volley, in the right hands).

The Yonex has more hitting real estate on it, so it is overall more forgiving if one doesn't have the most perfectly consistent hitting. The Yonex (IIRC) is also a bit more head-light in its stock form. The Dunlop has a much denser string pattern and shorter string spans, so it's likely a better control-oriented frame, but there is a bit of slingshot action inherent to its unique materials and manufacturing composition. The Yonex is stiffer, but not too stiff, and can be strung with greater tension to increase a feel of stiffness and control (at the expense of inherent power). The Dunlop suffers structurally when strung in excess of 58 opunds of tension or so; it will actually warp like a wet wood racquet.

Beyond this, I can't add any observations that wouldn't be redundant to what was already well reported.