PDA

View Full Version : String GURUS please help me find right TENSION!!!

monkeyisland90
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
So i've tried lot of different tensions and I don't know which ones right because i'm not very good with physics.. I hit very well when it's a certain tension but seems like tension drops very quickly because i do full racquet head swing most of my shots. So here's my history i've kind of recorded in my head so not very accurate but hopefully it gives an idea what i should be at.. (using a wilson hammer 6.3 55-65lb recommended range)

1. 52lbs after 20 minutes balls start sinking shorter and lose its "pop"
thought it was because tension was too tight since it's hitting short

2. So dropped the tension all the way to 40lbs (for experimenting purpose) and after 10 minutes or so same sinking shorter and losing its "pop" deal.

3. So i put tension that low because i thought that lower the tension more power it gives while higher tension is more control... but i was thinking to myself there's probally why there is recommended tension range.. as anything below will just lose it's pop despite lower tension having more power..

4. So i put tension at 60lbs and i was able to hit very well and have fun for about 40 minutes then started the same sinking shorter and losing its "pop" deal.

Does that mean i should string it much higher so that the initial tension will drop and then gradually lose it's tension but I'll be more consistent throughtout the match....

Its a bummer that it loses that much tension per match... which means i'll have to restring almost every match with possible 2-3 racquets to exchange...

DownTheLine
03-23-2010, 03:23 PM
What string are you using? The way it sounds the lower you go the faster you lose the "pop". Which if that's true go higher.

Again what string are you using?

monkeyisland90
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
What string are you using? The way it sounds the lower you go the faster you lose the "pop". Which if that's true go higher.

Again what string are you using?

im using gamma synthetic gut.. i don't know the model but i think its just a lower end SG with name brand attached to it... does it matter the string quality? i thought tension was most important and racquet obviously

ronalditop
03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Weird that at 40lbs you were still hitting short. I dont think by stringing higher you'll get more pop. Maybe try reducing a bit more the tension, 38-37 maybe. Your racquet must have a lot of control.

iplaybetter
03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
find a tension where it feels right after the relaxing and settling period

mikeler
03-24-2010, 05:01 AM
im using gamma synthetic gut.. i don't know the model but i think its just a lower end SG with name brand attached to it... does it matter the string quality? i thought tension was most important and racquet obviously

I used regular Gamma synthetic gut for several months. It was my favorite synthetic gut. While it only lasted 6-8 hours before breakage, it definitely did not lose tension for me in that time period.

What is your fitness level like? Do you get tired after hitting balls for more than 20 minutes? BTW, that racket is an arm killer if you are not a beginner.

SlapShot
03-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Lower tension doesn't magically create more power. What it does IME is make the trajectory of the ball higher, which can make the ball go deeper.

If after 20-40 minutes the ball is landing short, it sounds like an issue with fitness, not necessarily with the string you're using. That being said, if the ball is landing short and you want to try and get more juice on the ball, try a multifilament string - something like Technifibre NRG2 or similar - that might just give you a hair more gusto on your shots compared to a standard syn gut.

monkeyisland90
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
To all the people think it's my fitness, I definately don't think so.. I'm a grinder and I take full cuts at most of the shots that present to me I just notice a sudden pop and wholeness feeling to a dead.. short ball feeling.... do you think it might be the strings? I feel im using non performance gamma synthetic gut.. i purchased a reel on **** for 30 bucks.. including shipping... so do you think thats why i'm losing pop after 45 minutes? Do strings really matter that much? I mean i've used gamma livewire twice and can see quality but i don't know if that will fix my dilemna....

monkeyisland90
03-24-2010, 09:49 PM
To all the people think it's my fitness, I definately don't think so.. I'm a grinder and I take full cuts at most of the shots that present to me I just notice a sudden pop and wholeness feeling to a dead.. short ball feeling.... do you think it might be the strings? I feel im using non performance gamma synthetic gut.. i purchased a reel on **** for 30 bucks.. including shipping... so do you think thats why i'm losing pop after 45 minutes? Do strings really matter that much? I mean i've used gamma livewire twice and can see quality but i don't know if that will fix my dilemna....

10ACE
05-24-2010, 07:25 AM

what did u end up settling on? Using higher tension?