PDA

View Full Version : Stanford tennis on the ******* fling swing -- Illinois and Michigan dual matches

Fedace
03-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Today on a road trip, Stanford looks like they are getting on a roll once again. Trounces Illinois that was hot, by the score of 4 matches to 2. Michigan is NEXT. I will bet Jason Jung-- california man himself wishes he was with Stanford right about now..........:)
FEAR the TREE.

Stanford vs Illinois
Mar 23, 2010 at Urbana, Ill.
(Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex)

Illinois Stanford
2 4

#1 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
#8 Bradley Klahn, Stanford 7 3 6 Order of finish: 4
#36 Dennis Nevolo, Illinois 5 6 1

#2 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
#35 Alex Clayton, Stanford 7 7 Order of finish: 5
#64 Marek Czerwinski, Illinois 6 6

#3 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
#65 Ryan Thacher, Stanford 3 6 3 Order of finish: 3
Johnny Hamui, Illinois 6 3 6

#4 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Greg Hirshman, Stanford 5 5 Order of finish: 2
#77 Abe Souza, Illinois 7 7

#5 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Richard Wire, Stanford 6 5 4
Stephen Hoh, Illinois 4 7 5

#6 SINGLES 1 2 3 Notes
Denis Lin, Stanford 2 6 6 Order of finish: 1
Bruno Abdelnour, Illinois 6 2 1

#1 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
#2 Ryan Thacher/Bradley Klahn, Stanford 8 Order of finish: 3
#6 Marek Czerwinski/Dennis Nevolo, Illinois 4

#2 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
#30 Richard Wire/Alex Clayton, Stanford 8 Order of finish: 1
Stephen Hoh/Johnny Hamui, Illinois 3

#3 DOUBLES 1 2 3 Notes
Denis Lin/Matt Kandath, Stanford 8 Order of finish: 2
Abe Souza/Bruno Abdelnour, Illinois 4

Larrysümmers
03-23-2010, 07:02 PM
The Ilini coach talked to our team. I was a smart alec the whole time, something about him bugged me. And because Clayton is my favorite player.
Here's what I got from the two matches I got
Clayton dictates points with ease. He puts crazy spin on the ball. He hits winners from all over. He hits like a truck. Hirshman seemed to be a pusher. He didnt hit winners and he returned the balls with no pace in the middle of the court a Lot. He also has a temper problem.
Merek questioned everything. Alex got annoyed in the end.

All in all. It was a great tennis meet. First college meet I went to, load of fun and I learned a lot.

Jonny S&V
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
The Ilini coach talked to our team. I was a smart alec the whole time, something about him bugged me. And because Clayton is my favorite player.
Here's what I got from the two matches I got
Clayton dictates points with ease. He puts crazy spin on the ball. He hits winners from all over. He hits like a truck. Hirshman seemed to be a pusher. He didnt hit winners and he returned the balls with no pace in the middle of the court a Lot. He also has a temper problem.
Merek questioned everything. Alex got annoyed in the end.

All in all. It was a great tennis meet. First college meet I went to, load of fun and I learned a lot.

I like Clayton's game, but he's inconsistent from match to match.

On a different note, I've seen Illinois' #4, Souza, play many times in high school. He seemed to struggle with the transition from high school tennis to college tennis, glad to see he's succeeding. :)

Larrysümmers
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I like Clayton's game, but he's inconsistent from match to match.

On a different note, I've seen Illinois' #4, Souza, play many times in high school. He seemed to struggle with the transition from high school tennis to college tennis, glad to see he's succeeding. :)

His return of serve looked pretty sweet

Yeah Souza was looking really good out there. I think he upset a highly ranked Winsc. Badger not to long ago. I think it was him, almost posative.

Jonny S&V
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
His return of serve looked pretty sweet

Yeah Souza was looking really good out there. I think he upset a highly ranked Winsc. Badger not to long ago. I think it was him, almost posative.

I remembered him as the guy in high school who would calmly hit bombs from corner to corner. Is he still playing that way? It was really difficult to get an emotional response out of him in high school.

Tennis_Stringman
03-23-2010, 09:27 PM
So they took out Kandath who is in a slump and substituted Denis Lin in the mix.

Larrysümmers
03-24-2010, 04:01 AM
I remembered him as the guy in high school who would calmly hit bombs from corner to corner. Is he still playing that way? It was really difficult to get an emotional response out of him in high school.

yeah he still is, but he was making more UE than the other guy was making winners. Although the guy he was playing was a pusher IMO, he never put the ball away and he hit with no pace. Even the ilini players not playing said that he was pushing

Anyways back to Souza. He showed a lot of emotion, pos emotion too. He never yelled or anything. But he was always sure to pump himself up you could hear him under his breath saying like cmon or like right here. Things like that. I think he's a cool guy to watch.

Jonny S&V
03-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Anyways back to Souza. He showed a lot of emotion, pos emotion too. He never yelled or anything. But he was always sure to pump himself up you could hear him under his breath saying like cmon or like right here. Things like that. I think he's a cool guy to watch.

Yeah, sounds like he hasn't changed too much. I never got to get too close to him, but I can see him keeping himself positive under his breath.

Fedace
03-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Denis Lin spanks Bruno Abdelnour. That is a nice win for him and doubles too. He is going to be a star at Stanford in coming years.

Larrysümmers
03-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Denis Lin spanks Bruno Abdelnour. That is a nice win for him and doubles too. He is going to be a star at Stanford in coming years.

Brüno is a cool guy. He lost it after the first set but I wouldn't call it a spanking. The match was A LOT closer than what the scores said.

Just like the Clayton match, Clayton was in control the whole match but yet the scores said 7-6 7-6.

On the subject of Clayton: Fedface, do you know his frame setup? He absolutly hits like a truck.

Fedace
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Brüno is a cool guy. He lost it after the first set but I wouldn't call it a spanking. The match was A LOT closer than what the scores said.

Just like the Clayton match, Clayton was in control the whole match but yet the scores said 7-6 7-6.

On the subject of Clayton: Fedface, do you know his frame setup? He absolutly hits like a truck.

Wilson K Six One 95 (18x20) K Factor Tennis Racquet. He used to use pro hurr tour but has switched to another string. Not sure what it is.

Fedace
03-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Big time match today against Michigan.....i predict 5-2 win and look for Klahn to teach Evan King on how to play big time tennis at #1 spot.

NEWS release at U of Michigan athletics. YOu can watch the Entire match LIVE on their WEBCAM.
http://www.mgoblue.com/livestats/m-tennis/index-m.html

Weekly Release #11: vs. No. 15 Stanford, vs. Minnesota, vs. Iowa
THIS WEEK
Thursday, March 25 -- vs. #15 Stanford (Varsity Tennis Center), 6 p.m.
Live Results/Live Video
Saturday, March 27 -- vs. Minnesota (Varsity Tennis Center), Noon
Live Results/Live Video
Sunday, March 28 -- vs. Iowa (Varsity Tennis Center), Noon
Live Results/Live Video

The No. 28-ranked University of Michigan men's tennis team (5-6, 1-0 Big Ten) welcomes three opponents to the Varsity Tennis Center this week, staring with No. 15 Stanford on Thursday (March 25). It will be the Wolverines' final non-conference dual match of the season. Play will begin at 6 p.m.

Michigan returns to Big Ten Conference play this weekend, hosting Minnesota on Saturday (March 27) and Iowa on Sunday (March 28). Both matches will begin at noon.

Last Time Out
Michigan opened Big Ten Conference play against in-state rival Michigan State last Saturday (March 20), winning 6-1 in convincing fashion. It was the Wolverines' first home match in nearly one month. Without top player Jason Jung (Torrance, Calif./West Torrance), Michigan tweaked its lineup by moving everyone up one spot but still managed to win five of six singles matches and two of three doubles matches. [ Recaps: MGoBlue.Com | Michigan Daily ]

Fedace
03-25-2010, 08:07 AM
Nice video of Coach and evan king, the freshman. this is the same guy that tried to decapitate a guy's head with the ball in one of the matches...

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-tennis/mich-m-tennis-body.html

rs1996
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I live near Ann Arbor and plan to be there tonight. Looking forward to it...

GO BLUE!!

DownTheLine
03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Stanford looking good against Illinois.

Fedace
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
HOT off the press :

ANN ARBOR, Mich.- No. 15 Stanford completed a sweep of its two-game ******* road swing on Thursday afternoon, defeating No. 28 Michigan 5-2 for its third consecutive victory.

Two days after downing No. 11 Illinois 4-3, Stanford (10-3, 0-0 Pac-10) picked up another victory over a nationally-ranked opponent in Michigan (5-7, 1-0 Big Ten).

Stanford opened the match in convincing fashion, sweeping all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 advantage.

The Cardinal then posted three quick singles victories, extending its lead to 4-0 and securing the match. Inserted into the starting lineup at the No. 6 spot two days ago, Denis Lin put Stanford ahead 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Chris Cha. Bradley Klahn made it 3-0 with his 21st victory of the year, besting Evan King 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 1 position.

Ryan Thacher provided the clincher on court three, winning 6-2, 7-6 (7).

The remaining three matches featured Michigan victories on courts two and five before Richard Wire collected Stanford's fifth point with a 6-3, 6-7 (10), 1-0 (10-6) triumph at the No. 4 spot.

Stanford is back in action on Saturday, Mar. 27, against No. 32 Arizona at 1 p.m.

No. 15 Stanford 5, No. 28 Michigan 2

DOUBLES

1) No. 2 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) d. No. 46 Navas/Sroczynski (MICH) 8-7 (3)
2) No. 30 Clayton/Wire (STAN) d. No. 52 Jung/King (MICH) 8-5
3) Lin/Kandath (STAN) d. Cha/Madden (MICH) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1

SINGLES

1) No. 8 Bradley Klahn (STAN) d. No. 103 Evan King (MICH) 6-3, 6-4
2) No. 42 Jason Jung (MICH) d. No. 35 Alex Clayton (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
3) No. 65 Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Mike Sroczynski (MICH) 6-2, 7-6 (7)
4) Richard Wire (STAN) d. George Navas (MICH) 6-3, 6-7 (10), 1-0 (10-6)
5) Chris Madden (MICH) d. Greg Hirshman (STAN) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
6) Denis Lin (STAN) d. Chris Cha (MICH) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 3, 2, 5, 4

roddick_rulz
03-26-2010, 06:47 AM
I really enjoyed watching Evan King play Bradley Klahn.
It's interesting to see how Evan is holding up as a freshman playing on the top court.

Fedace
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
It's interesting to see how Evan is holding up as a freshman playing on the top court.

Why on earth a guy ranked #103 playing top spot, and Jason who is in 30's ranking playing #2 ???:confused:

Fedace
03-26-2010, 11:28 AM

What happened to Alex Clayton yesterday ?? he had no business losing to Jason. Jason is a good player but not of Alex's caliber.

bluetrain4
03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
The Stanford loss is actually a pretty good result for Illinois. Illinois was nothing before Craig Tiley took over, led them to national prominence (including a national title) and put them consistently in the Top 5. Since Tiley left and Brad Dancer took over, I feel Illinois is at a crossroads, trying desperately to hold on to elite status. But, I guess it doesn't have to be the case where the Illini either sink back to obscurity or re-emerge as a Top 5 power. They seem to have settled into the "very good, but not quite elite" type program, consistently ranked between 8 and 15, capable of beating higher ranked teams, but not really obvious contenders for an NCAA title.

roddick_rulz
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
What happened to Alex Clayton yesterday ?? he had no business losing to Jason. Jason is a good player but not of Alex's caliber.

Yeah, you win some, you lose some.
As they say...what doesn't kill you, can only make you stronger.

Jonny S&V
03-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, you win some, you lose some.
As they say...what doesn't kill you, can only make you stronger.

Yes, but Clayton tends to lose many of these matches.

woodrow1029
03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Dr. Fedace.

Will you be watching on the live feed today? Ill wave to you from the chair.

db379
03-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Is there some kind of problem with the live feed at Stanford? I can't watch the matches.... first time this happens

woodrow1029
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
They are actually working on the cameras today.

Fedace
03-27-2010, 03:30 PM
They are actually working on the cameras today.

You need to over-rule more in favor of Alex in the future.....ok.

DownTheLine
03-27-2010, 03:32 PM
What were the results?

Fedace
03-27-2010, 03:36 PM
What were the results?

Stanford Destroys Arizona, 6 matches to 1. Only loss coming at #2 singles by Alex Clayton. He lost to some guy named Arrango....Jeff Tarango's brother ??? lol

DownTheLine
03-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Stanford Destroys Arizona, 6 matches to 1. Only loss coming at #2 singles by Alex Clayton. He lost to some guy named Arrango....Jeff Tarango's brother ??? lol
Alex has been struggling like no other lately. What was the score?

Fedace
03-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Alex has been struggling like no other lately. What was the score?

Lost 6-3 6-3 in straight. Alex Must be injured,,,,,,,yea that must be it....has to be.. no other explanation.....:???: but that's ok, Alex will win the NCAA and Stanford will NCAA team championships......

db379
03-28-2010, 02:59 AM
So I assume you guys couldn't watch the games on the live feed either...?

In any case good win for Stanford. Brad is a strong #1 as I predicted before, he's been improving so much in the last year. He should reach the top 5 nationals ranking soon. Ryan is playing well too. Too bad Alex is having a tough time winning his matches lately (maybe he's not 100% focused on tennis... there are many distractions in Stanford :). Does he have a girlfriend?).

Fedace
03-28-2010, 02:35 PM
So I assume you guys couldn't watch the games on the live feed either...?

In any case good win for Stanford. Brad is a strong #1 as I predicted before, he's been improving so much in the last year. He should reach the top 5 nationals ranking soon. Ryan is playing well too. Too bad Alex is having a tough time winning his matches lately (maybe he's not 100% focused on tennis... there are many distractions in Stanford :). Does he have a girlfriend?).

YES, he has a girlfriend. and faithful too from what i am hearing..

ClarkC
03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Too bad Alex is having a tough time winning his matches lately (maybe he's not 100% focused on tennis... there are many distractions in Stanford :). Does he have a girlfriend?).

It is the Fedace avatar jinx.

andfor
03-29-2010, 08:56 AM
YES, he has a girlfriend. and faithful too from what i am hearing..

You know this level of detail but you don't what his injury is? Could it be he has Matt Bruch Syndrome? Your prediction of Alex winning the NCAA's is (like all of your predictions) fading fast.

Jonny S&V
05-13-2010, 02:46 AM
Alex will win the NCAA...

Not that I'm one to revive threads for no reason, but really? All he could muster up was a 2nd alternate.

andfor
05-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Shocker! Another failed Faedace prediction.

However if you keep making enough wild predictions or the same one over and over, year after year (Standford will win the NCAA's) you may just get one right some day.

Fedace
05-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Not that I'm one to revive threads for no reason, but really? All he could muster up was a 2nd alternate.

Yes, and he will get in and win it.:)

Jonny S&V
05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, and he will get in and win it.:)

And... False.

Shadow Mix
05-18-2010, 04:38 AM
I hope that no one takes this as any kind of offence, but what the hell was Clayton doing in S2, obviously Thatcher Is a better choice at the moment,I think Clayton should take a break, he is not focused on the game, he either keeps his serve In a love game or loses the serve big time, He plays awesomely well, but he should take a small break so he can rest a bit, that´s what I see when I am watching his games.
And yes no one can deny the development of Bradley Klanh, stanford no.1 atm.