PDA

View Full Version : California tennis

firstserve
03-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi, I live in Socal and I really want to play tennis for a decent academic school. I realize that UCLA and USC are practically impossible to play for unless you are top 5 in the nation. What universities in California,preferibly the socal area have good academics and are a reasonble team that a player ranked in the top 50 in socal could play for?

tennismom42
03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi, I live in Socal and I really want to play tennis for a decent academic school. I realize that UCLA and USC are practically impossible to play for unless you are top 5 in the nation. What universities in California,preferibly the socal area have good academics and are a reasonble team that a player ranked in the top 50 in socal could play for?
"academies?" Your post is confusing. Did you mean colleges/universities? Where are you from? "Academies" is a term used for high school years.

You can do a search for your ideal schools in about 5 minutes using the www.collegeboard.com website. Select "California" and "tennis." See what comes up for you after the other criteria.

Always work toward academic scholarships too.

atatu
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Take a look at Claremont-Mudd, it's D3, I think but has great academics and good tennis...you'll need to improve your spelling, "preferably" before you fill out any applications.

Carlito
03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Almost all the UC's are top 50 academically. There are soo many good schools down here. Loyola, Pepperdine, San Diego and a few others.

ClarkC
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM

"academies?" Your post is confusing. Did you mean colleges/universities? Where are you from? "Academies" is a term used for high school years.

He did not say academies. He said academics.

get it in
03-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Almost all the UC's are top 50 academically. There are soo many good schools down here. Loyola, Pepperdine, San Diego and a few others.

+1. You really have a lot of choices in Southern California. Like Carlito said, any UC is great for academics (Santa Barbara, Irvine, Riverside, San Diego). UCLA is awesome too but playing for the team would require you to be really good. San Diego State is decent. So is Long Beach State. Both are div 1 schools. Then there are all the private schools mentioned earlier. Hit up your local library for lots more resources (check the reference section). Yes, libraries still exist! We're not all bound to the internet, are we?

dennis10is
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
+1. You really have a lot of choices in Southern California. Like Carlito said, any UC is great for academics (Santa Barbara, Irvine, Riverside, San Diego). UCLA is awesome too but playing for the team would require you to be really good. San Diego State is decent. So is Long Beach State. Both are div 1 schools. Then there are all the private schools mentioned earlier. Hit up your local library for lots more resources (check the reference section). Yes, libraries still exist! We're not all bound to the internet, are we?

FYI, Long Beach State dropped their Men's Tennis many years ago, early 90's?

IF the OP is female. The women's program is still alive.

Fee
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Take a look at UC Irvine perhaps. You'll definitely want to look at the university websites to make sure the team is playing this year, then stay on top of the news to make sure the team doesn't get cut from the program during the summer (as might happen at UC Davis and other UC campuses due to the California budget mess).

Ambivalent
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
My friend plays for the D3 team at Occidental and says its competitive yet has opportunities. He is about 5.0 or so.

10isRocs
04-04-2010, 08:38 PM
If you are looking at D3 and want a smaller school, Cal Lutheran is doing well this year.

firstserve
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Can I get into Medical school if I go to Claremont McKenna, Cal Lutheran or any other undergrad school that does not have a medical program?

get it in
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
You can go to any medical school you like, regardless of the undergraduate school you attend. Whether or not you get in depends more on your test scores on the MCAT and your grades than which school you go to. Schools with medical programs do not necessarily give preference to their own students. They have to attract the best talent they can get.
My advice to you (and you can make up your own mind) is that you should focus on your academics and go to a school that would prepare you well for medicine and not worry about the strength of the tennis program too much. This of course is all predicated on your desire to attend medical school. In other words, if you really want to go to medical school, then focus on that first. Then you can worry about tennis. Medical school is hyper competitive. Getting in is almost as hard as making it on the ATP tour. Most schools take 1 in 10 applicants. You really have to give it 100% effort...and then you have to get through medical school along with at least 3 national board exams. I think it's good that medicine is this difficult. It ensures that the doctor that cares for you is the highest quality person you can get. You wouldn't want a slacker doing surgery on you (would you???)

renegades10
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
The best way to find out is to actually contact the coach. some will tell you that they won't have any money for you, but that they will let you walk-on or others may tell you that they have a walk-on tournament for a few spots on the team. and some coaches may just say there is no room. by the way look into club tennis teams at UCLA and USC if you have the grades to go there. Club tennis is becoming very popular and you will even find some guys who played on an ica team for a year or two playing for a club team. The competition is pretty solid and you might even get to play regularly. I don't know what your junior ranking is but it is getting pretty competitive in the club rank. And as others said look at some of the D3 schools.

subban
04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, defintely. I bet you Stanford or USC's club teams could beat many Div III college tennis teams in mens competition.