PDA

View Full Version : Old Packages of US gut

mpmuddy
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
I just found 8 packages of US gut in my old closet at my parents house. I estimate that they are about 15 years old. They are all in sealed packages. Is it possible they are still good? Can they be sued as part of a hybrid set up?

Standupnfall
03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Only one way to know, string it up!

tennis005
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
String a racket with full gut first. If its no good, dont want to throw the other hybrid string away as well.

duusoo
03-24-2010, 05:50 AM
I actually think you'll be fine. Many years ago, I bought some of the last Victor Imperial. I estimate that gut to have been 20 yrs old. I put it in a tupperware container and forgot about it. Probably eight years later, I found it, put it in as a Hy-bred because it was too short for a full job, (33ft). Played well, strung up well, I couldn't tell any difference.

joe sch
03-24-2010, 06:20 AM
I actually think you'll be fine. Many years ago, I bought some of the last Victor Imperial. I estimate that gut to have been 20 yrs old. I put it in a tupperware container and forgot about it. Probably eight years later, I found it, put it in as a Hy-bred because it was too short for a full job, (33ft). Played well, strung up well, I couldn't tell any difference.

I have used many old guts, some not even in packages and it still works great. As long as the strings have not dried out, its pretty easy to tell when you string it. If you dont like the quality, Id buy the rest from you.

samster
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Send them my way if you are not going to use them. ;)

Rabbit
03-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Gut actually gets better with age.

drakulie
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Gut actually gets better with age.

I hear that 60 lbs of poly "weighs more" than 60 lbs of gut. :evil: :)

samster
03-24-2010, 08:12 AM

I heard 60 lbs of lead weighs more than 60 lbs of poly. :shock:

Zefer
03-24-2010, 08:16 AM
As long as they haven't been exposed to extreme temperature or moisture I'd say they should be all right. Only way to tell for sure is to string them up though!

Rabbit
03-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Well, I think the actual theorem was that tensioning poly at 60 pounds puts more stress on a tennis racquet than 60 pounds of nylon or intestine. It was put forth in the Jabberwocky Treatise which was authored on Amelia Island during the Grey Goose migration down the east coast.

This is correct and was verified using the Atomic clock.

ClubHoUno
03-24-2010, 08:34 AM

:lol: :lol:

10 char

ClubHoUno
03-24-2010, 08:45 AM
My brother played with nat gut in the late 80's. Last year I found his wooden Dunlop racquet and a box with 2 sets of sealed nat gut. The name on the packs was wiped out, so I could't tell, which company had made it.

I had one racquet strung up with a full job @ 58 lbs, the gauge looked like 1.30 or 1.35. It played ok, but felt a little too mushy. It didn't have a coating on and I broke it faster than I break VS NAT GUT, but it seemed to be OK. It lasted 4-5 hours in my old Babolat Pure Storm Tour CarbonX frame.

I gave the other set away to a friend, because I prefer VS GUT. But age didn't seem to have affected the gut in any way......

So as long as the gut is in a sealed package, you should be fine.

drakulie
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Well, I think the actual theorem was that tensioning poly at 60 pounds puts more stress on a tennis racquet than 60 pounds of nylon or intestine. It was put forth in the Jabberwocky Treatise which was authored on Amelia Island during the Grey Goose migration down the east coast.

wasn't this suppose to be sound technique when wrapping the string around someone's neck? :)

Rabbit
03-24-2010, 01:18 PM
wasn't this suppose to be sound technique when wrapping the string around someone's neck? :)

Yes, this used in combination with water boarding (actually now referred to as Enhanced Interrogation Techniques)was supposed to produce some really nice reference tension. ;)