PDA

View Full Version : best natural gut string?

karophiteblu
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
hi ive never hit with natural gut strings before, and i do plan on trying them as a hybrid of lux alu rough. so brands make good ones? or are they all the same pretty much? i heard wilson and babolat vs touch are good.

also, should i have the gut on the mains or crosses? Thanks!

karophiteblu
03-23-2010, 08:18 PM
by the way, i have a wilson kblade 98 and it has a dense string pattern. i would like to get more spin out of it

parasailing
03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Babolat VS for the win!!!

Zhou
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Stick with Babolat Natural Gut as they are the leaders in that area. If you want to try other brands, Klip and Pacific are also highly regarded. Stay away from Wilson Natural Gut.

marosmith
03-23-2010, 08:46 PM
If you want durability and you shi$ money, try VS. Go ahead and hybrid with lux and enjoy your 8 hours of playing until the lux goes to crap and you tear out your nuce gut because the lux dies so quickly.

"best" gut is a loaded question, for value, and feel (it actually feels like gut) I'd go with global. For durability if you aren't a string breaker and money comes easy to you, VS, if money matters, Tonic. I would never get the mid-grade guts like Kilp or Pacific and pay twice as much as global for a product maybe equal to or lesser in quality.

stoble
03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Pacific Classic is a GREAT buy in my opinion. But if you can afford it I'm sure the Babolat gut strings are even better.

karophiteblu
03-23-2010, 09:09 PM
haha all right great thanks guys!

karophiteblu
03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
sorry, will it make a huge difference if i put the gut on the mains or crosses? because ive seen people do both. maybe its just personal preference?

raging
03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
sorry, will it make a huge difference if i put the gut on the mains or crosses? because ive seen people do both. maybe its just personal preference?

yes some believe personal preference, or what they want to believe...
Not sure you will get more spin from VS, definitely more feel/touch and natural power! Other string setups ; lux full bed etc will give you more spin but you still have to have the strokes!

Happy hitting.:)

karophiteblu
03-24-2010, 10:10 PM
yes some believe personal preference, or what they want to believe...
Not sure you will get more spin from VS, definitely more feel/touch and natural power! Other string setups ; lux full bed etc will give you more spin but you still have to have the strokes!

Happy hitting.:)

ok thanks a lot!

schap02
03-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Another vote for VS here, it's just too good.

jrod
03-25-2010, 03:52 AM
Without question Babolat VS. Completely different league than anything else out there.

William Bedford
03-25-2010, 04:41 AM
VS +1 (Again).

jim e
03-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Gut in the mains will hit more like a gut string, poly in the mains with gut crosses will hit more like a poly, just softened up some, as I used it both ways. Your correct about preferences, as each has their own. Personally I liked the gut in the mains when I did hybrid, but was best for me to string it all VS as I am not much of a string breaker, as I hit a flat ball, and I did not want to be always cutting out the strings because the poly goes dead, plus I like the all gut for mains and crosses as well.It does make a difference where you place the gut. Only way to know your preference is to try it out each way.

mctennis
03-27-2010, 08:12 PM
I have tried all the gut brands available today and some in the past. I like in order Pacific, Bow, Gland Slam Gut, Klip.
Babolat gut is Ok at best.I don't think you get very good feedback from Babolat brand. I'm not sure what the big fuss is about Babolat. Ever since they put some sort of coating on their gut I think the feel is gone.
The rest of the the gut brands have no + or - opinions other than you take your chances with really cheap gut brands IMHO.

karophiteblu
03-27-2010, 09:12 PM
thanks jim e. i did the VS 57 main and BB alu rough 55 cross. the person who strung it for me told me to put oil after each use to keep it in good condition? is this a good idea?

also, mctennis, thanks for your opinion. i have heard other people say that pacific is also really good. maybe its something to try next time! thanks!

Bud
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Global Gut! :grin:

Mig1NC
03-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Radek Štěpánek chooses to use Pacific Prime in his Bosworth. Which tested well according to USRSA.

Their 17g is the thinnest 17g in the US market.

Many people prefer prime to VS.

So far I have only used VS just because that is all my stringer carries. But next time I make an order from TW I am going to be ordering some Pacific Prime.

Big_Dangerous
03-28-2010, 04:31 AM
If you want durability and you shi$ money, try VS. Go ahead and hybrid with lux and enjoy your 8 hours of playing until the lux goes to crap and you tear out your nuce gut because the lux dies so quickly.

"best" gut is a loaded question, for value, and feel (it actually feels like gut) I'd go with global. For durability if you aren't a string breaker and money comes easy to you, VS, if money matters, Tonic. I would never get the mid-grade guts like Kilp or Pacific and pay twice as much as global for a product maybe equal to or lesser in quality.

Yeah that's why I hybrided my racket with VS and PHT.

What do you think about using all natural gut?

ClubHoUno
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I prefer VS gut, but if not VS, I would surely buy Pacific gut :)

Zefer
03-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I've heard good things about Babolat VS Gut.

c_hari_c
03-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I have been trying some multi's lately but also have been playing with the babolat vs on the other side. I have to agree that vs is the best especially the team 17. I haven't tried other natural gut strings but the one I have feels good to me.

Tennis_Crazed
03-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't use it now, but have tried playing around with it a bit before and thought VS was the best