PDA

View Full Version : Hitting for $$

86golf
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Is it a common practice for college players to hit for a fee to help club players improve? If so, what would be an average hourly rate just to hit with your typicall 4.0 level club player?
Also, would you consider this a good way to improve and supplement some lessons from a pro?

I appreciate the feedback.

himynameisNIKE
03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Is it a common practice for college players to hit for a fee to help club players improve? If so, what would be an average hourly rate just to hit with your typicall 4.0 level club player?
Also, would you consider this a good way to improve and supplement some lessons from a pro?

Im not a club player but my coach would pay college guys to hit with me and in turn we pay the coach lol. but yeah its not uncommon, college guys are always looking for ways to make money and im sure they would be more than happy to hit with you if they have time. hitting with stronger players is definetly a good way to improve your game :). I would pay them maybe 20 bucks per hitting session but it really depends on how much they want.

86golf
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks. Yep, I was hoping to be in the $20-25 range for an hour hit. Too bad our local college is about 45 min drive. Maybe I can find a drop out near me :)

sureshs
03-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I took a lesson from a Div 2 student for $30/hr

eeytennis
03-28-2010, 10:55 AM
i have hit with people's kids for $20-$30 dollars (depending on how well i know them, etc.). i did not teach them anything, but just hit for 45 minutes or so and played out a few games for practice.

SplitStepper
03-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Hitting lessons are a big part of revenue as a coach. They are hard work if you a clocking in 20 a week, but it can be a great thing for all involved. $25-$30 sounds like a fair deal for a non-professional. Pros will charge their regualr fee.

chrisplchs
03-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I hear if you go to a certain school in California and are not on scholarship or foreigner but contribute, you get a "sponsorship" from a family that would hire you to hit with their kid a couple of times a week for about 40-50k a year

get it in
04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I hear if you go to a certain school in California and are not on scholarship or foreigner but contribute, you get a "sponsorship" from a family that would hire you to hit with their kid a couple of times a week for about 40-50k a year

I think all of us in Southern California know which school this would be. However, I find it hard to believe the sponsorship is that good. At that level of support, there isn't much incentive to graduate aside from the 4 years of eligibility for D1 (5 years for redshirts).

papatenis
04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I think all of us in Southern California know which school this would be. However, I find it hard to believe the sponsorship is that good. At that level of support, there isn't much incentive to graduate aside from the 4 years of eligibility for D1 (5 years for redshirts).

What school are you taking about? USC

West Coast Ace
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I hear if you go to a certain school in California and are not on scholarship or foreigner but contribute, you get a "sponsorship" from a family that would hire you to hit with their kid a couple of times a week for about 40-50k a yearDoes the college player's family get to live in a $780,000 house? :)

86golf
04-09-2010, 07:13 AM
OKAY, just an update here and to get back on topic. I solicited our best junior player at our club, he's a senior in hs but has a D1 full scholarship next year. Maybe 5.0 or 5.5 level. We agreed on a rate slightly lower than had been suggested in this thread and it has been working out great. I video tape the hitting sessions and he adds feedback during our hits (which I wasn't expecting). I'd say this has been as beneficial as going to a pro and I'm surprised more club level guys aren't doing this. We will continue this until he starts college in the fall. My goal is to play 4.5 (competively) by next spring.

David123
04-09-2010, 08:09 AM
congratulations hope everything works out for you :)

SplitStepper
04-09-2010, 08:36 AM
OKAY, just an update here and to get back on topic. I solicited our best junior player at our club, he's a senior in hs but has a D1 full scholarship next year. Maybe 5.0 or 5.5 level. We agreed on a rate slightly lower than had been suggested in this thread and it has been working out great. I video tape the hitting sessions and he adds feedback during our hits (which I wasn't expecting). I'd say this has been as beneficial as going to a pro and I'm surprised more club level guys aren't doing this. We will continue this until he starts college in the fall. My goal is to play 4.5 (competively) by next spring.

Thats awesome. Thats a win/win situation!!!

autumn_leaf
04-09-2010, 10:47 AM

that's sounds great man. and it's pretty hard to find people of that caliber that's not already in a d1 school in my area.

andfor
04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I would be careful about playing a college athlete of any sport to play the sport they play for a college who is on scholarship. I would check with the college kids coach first.

That said does anyone know if it is or is not against NCAA or college rules to pay a college athlete to play their sport? I know it may be called a lesson by all parties involved but the NCAA can be very picky about these kinds of issues. What if you paid the player $100 to hit or a $1000 to hit or play 1 on 1 basketball or throw the football back and forth etc? Does that cross the line and if so why would $20 or $25 be any different if not done through acceptable/approved channels?

Chopin
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
I would be careful about playing a college athlete of any sport to play the sport they play for a college who is on scholarship. I would check with the college kids coach first.

That said does anyone know if it is or is not against NCAA or college rules to pay a college athlete to play their sport? I know it may be called a lesson by all parties involved but the NCAA can be very picky about these kinds of issues. What if you paid the player $100 to hit or a $1000 to hit or play 1 on 1 basketball or throw the football back and forth etc? Does that cross the line and if so why would $20 or $25 be any different if not done through acceptable/approved channels?

That's an interesting question, but I don't there's a rule that prevents players from giving lessons to private parties not associated with college the student attends. That would seem somewhat ridiculous and impossible to enforce.

Tina
04-10-2010, 04:53 AM
That's an interesting question, but I don't there's a rule that prevents players from giving lessons to private parties not associated with college the student attends. That would seem somewhat ridiculous and impossible to enforce.

I didn't know you have several tennis players in your class:), Professor??

ClarkC
04-10-2010, 07:19 AM

In general, NCAA rules focus on whether non-athletes can get the same deal as athletes. If you paid substantially more than the going rate in your area for a lesson, then the NCAA would consider it a rule violation (if they somehow found out about it). Just as athletes getting academic scholarships need to have the same academic profile as non-athletes getting those scholarships, and players who work for some alumnus during the summer cannot be paid double, or paid for not working, etc.

TearSNFX
04-10-2010, 08:05 AM

One of my students ( 15 years old ) makes a killing as a hitting partner.
He charges $40 an hour and currently has 2 clients that hold 3 sessions a week. His sessions are 1 hour long and he provides the balls.

He is above a 4.5. His key selling point as a hitting partner was his quick movement and consistency. I've recorded him hit 300 + ball rallies with a friend of mine on numerous occasions averaging about 150 hits. ( My friend was ranked 492 last year )

I believe hitting with someone that is consistent with spin, depth, and pace really helps you develop your mental game. It's all too common for people to get the urge to drive the ball after so many hits, but if you develop your mind through this method to increase your ball tolerance then you'll be on your way. It's well worth the investment once you get to a certain level.

Hope this helps.

genius24
04-10-2010, 10:00 PM
i charge $25-$30 an hr for hitting with juniors...i am not a certified teaching pro but played competitively up through college. i think that is a pretty fair market rate.