PDA

View Full Version : How much tension can be lost?

Big Dave
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Just curious- I string my raquets @ 60lbs. I play maybe 5 times a month. The rest of the time, the raquets just sit in the closet at home. I'm just curious over the course of a month or so how much tension my strings lose....1lbs....5lbs? Any thoughts? :)

TennezSport
03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Just curious- I string my raquets @ 60lbs. I play maybe 5 times a month. The rest of the time, the raquets just sit in the closet at home. I'm just curious over the course of a month or so how much tension my strings lose....1lbs....5lbs? Any thoughts? :)

Hey BD welcome to the boards. Tension loss really depends on a number of things, like string type and quality, tension, racquet pattern, hours of use and players ability. So, it's difficult to say since you do not let us know what string, in what racquet. However, the USRSA has a string test database that lists tension loss by string. The range of tension loss goes from 5.57lbs to 28.37lbs depending on string, from NG string to Multi, synth, poly and kevlar. Tension loss can also be very bad if you keep your racquet in harsh conditions like in the trunk of a car. Hope this helps.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Big Dave
03-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Hey BD welcome to the boards. Tension loss really depends on a number of things, like string type and quality, tension, racquet pattern, hours of use and players ability. So, it's difficult to say since you do not let us know what string, in what racquet. However, the USRSA has a string test database that lists tension loss by string. The range of tension loss goes from 5.57lbs to 28.37lbs depending on string, from NG string to Multi, synth, poly and kevlar. Tension loss can also be very bad if you keep your racquet in harsh conditions like in the trunk of a car. Hope this helps.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

that actually helps quite a bit. I have always been unwilling to acknowledge that the strings play a significant factor in the way i hit, but it sounds like maybe its time to wake up.

I play with nadals babolat aero drive..... since i have to pay full retail price for strings/stringing (just got 2 raquets strung with the cheapest pince synthetic i could get, and it still cost me $45) i usually don't buy quality strings.

I play 4.5's locally here and do well. time for me to start investing in better strings...or buy a stringing machine.

Anyways, thanks for the helpful info, and the welcome to the board. :)

DrpShot!
03-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Check out Stringmeter by Unique, its like $30 and gives you a reference point to always be able to check your tension. Strings play a huge part in how you hit. Most strings lose a lot of tension in the first few hours after they're strung, after that they hold it pretty well. Polys lose the most right after stringing but then hold up pretty well over time and hits, nylons lose a little less after stringing but breaks down over time and hits more than polys, gut holds up well after stringing but breaks down over time the most.