PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Volkl Power Fiber II?

Blask
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I demo'd a racquet and it was strung with it at 58 lbs. I really enjoyed the string - felt soft and gave good feedback. I felt I could hit out pretty solidly with it without the fear of overhitting.

I also deal with TE a lot and it felt soft enough to use daily

I was intrigued as I had never used any volkl string in the past and was wondering what others thought of it.

NewGuy
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
My daughter likes volkl catapult, the discontinued european version of power fibre, which was power fibre's II predecessor. I think Valjean here does not recommend it. She's also liked nxt, prince premier lt and maxim touch. I haven't used power fibre II, so can't comment.

:confused:

hoodjem
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I've tried Volkl Power Fibre. I really liked it, soft but crisp, and really excellent feedback. The 1.18 is one of my favorite multis. Lasted fairly long in a hybrid also.

Valjean
03-25-2010, 04:57 AM
I demo'd a racquet and it was strung with it at 58 lbs. I really enjoyed the string - felt soft and gave good feedback. I felt I could hit out pretty solidly with it without the fear of overhitting.

I was intrigued as I had never used any volkl string in the past and was wondering what others thought of it.
There have been several versions of Volkl's principal multifilament brought out; Power Fibre II was an intended upgrade.

Have a look at the USRSA's 2002 playtest posted here on TW (this is an *old* string, guy): http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/VPF16/VPF16Review.html. Power Fibre's test did not produce the best scores, and my own playtest of Power Fibre II, back when I did one, did not cause me to differ with that old consensus review (25-30 playtesters of most levels and playstyles participate).

To my mind, the best multifilament bargain TW has promoted thus far remains Catapult.

Blask
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't see Catapult listed on TW for sale. Is it discontinued?

NewGuy
03-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes. I believe that catapult was the European name for the original power fibre.

SteveI
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes. I believe that catapult was the European name for the original power fibre.

It was.. and set of 16L was selling for $4.99. Hard to beat that price. It is not longer listed. Drop TW a line and see if they are getting more in. I picked up 5 sets... great price/performace @ $4.99.

Steve

tennis4josh
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I have tried 17 gauge Volkl Power Fibre II. I tried it both in hybrid and full job. It plays well, but did not last long enough. These days I use Yonex Tour Super 850, which I like a lot. It plays well and lasts longer.

my 2 cents.

-Josh

beststringer
03-27-2010, 01:31 AM

powerfiber is good but it's no gut. feels like dunlop max comfort, something u can get for 5.99.

strings is a personal choice. i've played with powerfiber on over a dozen rackets. good string.

would i pay 12 bucks? no. because i can break those after 2 to 4 hrs. very $$$ strings.

SteveI
03-27-2010, 04:53 AM
powerfiber is good but it's no gut. feels like dunlop max comfort, something u can get for 5.99.

strings is a personal choice. i've played with powerfiber on over a dozen rackets. good string.

would i pay 12 bucks? no. because i can break those after 2 to 4 hrs. very $$$ strings.

I think it plays a bit better than Max Comfort.. and not really the same. But.. yes $12.00 a set... not a great deal. $4.99 a set.. a steal

SteveI
03-28-2010, 06:41 AM
My daughter likes volkl catapult, the discontinued european version of power fibre, which was power fibre's II predecessor. I think Valjean here does not recommend it. She's also liked nxt, prince premier lt and maxim touch. I haven't used power fibre II, so can't comment.

:confused:

Hey NewGuy,

I have 3 sets I am willing to part with... drop me an e-mail.. Just click on my username and send me mail. The offer is out there to others.

Steve.. Nice string.. for the price to be sure

GS
03-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Hey Stevie---got any Tecnifibre 515? (heh heh)

SteveI
03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey Stevie---got any Tecnifibre 515? (heh heh)

Wish I did... if I did.. they would be on their way to CA.. :-)

ericsson
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
As a Volkl guy i absolutely hated the power fiber II, felt like a cheap plastic string with a horrible sound and little control. I've cutted the string out after 10 min, replaced the test racket with polystar energy (my usual test string) and what a difference.

NewGuy
03-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey NewGuy,

I have 3 sets I am willing to part with... drop me an e-mail.. Just click on my username and send me mail. The offer is out there to others.

Steve.. Nice string.. for the price to be sure

That would work, but not sure how to contact you. I'm a bit of a luddite. . ..