PDA

View Full Version : stringing

monkeyisland90
03-24-2010, 09:56 PM
I've been stringing for about 2-3 years now and probally did hundred racquets as i break strings a lot... and i'm pretty sure i do it correctly as shown in various guides etc.. but is stringing really an "art form" and need to be precise? I ask this because i purchased a automated pull machine used that was actually used in a nasdaq tournament but the calibration was off so i asked the manufacture in australia about how to calibrate this via email and he got really defensive like stringing is an art form and if you dont' know how to do it you souldn't and seem like you needed to be a professional to string... After that i always felt like i was doing something wrong stringing..... so my question is... is stringing yourself pretty much same as let say someone doing it for the pros? Or is it really an art form and takes lot of talent and skill...

beernutz
03-25-2010, 12:45 AM
What manufacturer told you this?

monkeyisland90
03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
it was an australian company... forgot the name... but machine was used in nasdaq and although most of comments were helpful it seemed like only "pros" should be stringing.

uk_skippy
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
To be honest, stringing machines should be checked whenever they're moved or transported. They are likely to have been 'out' when you received it. In fact tournament machines should be checked often when they're at the tournament. The Babolat machines used to be checked first thing every morning.

If you found your machine was 'out' then I think its only fair that you find out how to calibrate the machine. The supplier may feel a bit p!ssed thinking that you were querying the calibration of the machine at the tournament, rather than to help you.

Bit of a poor show really, but kudos to you to for being professional enough to make sure your machine is in proper order.

Regards

Paul

coyfish
03-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I think people take stringing too far. Its definitely a skill but I don't see it as a "craft" like many on these boards seem to think. The expense of the machines I believe is the main culprit. People invest a lot of money into stringing machines so they feel it necessary to defend their reasoning. When it comes to stringing there is a right way and a wrong way. If you think about it, there are very little places of ambiguity where one person may do something differently than another. And that is what classifies something as a craft in my mind. Where personal skill would equate in a better product. I have had my racquet professionally strung with a 7 grand machine and it felt the same as my self strung $130 klippermate.

Just how I see it.

Lambsscroll
03-26-2010, 04:48 AM
I wouldn't say its an art form all you really need to do is string the same way you strung a racket the time before.

bwaid88
03-26-2010, 05:29 AM
there is a art form for it so to speak. in my personal experience i have noticed that i do things a little different now as opposed to when i started stringing years ago. not because they are faster but because they help to ensure a better end result. and imo all racquet stringing is not the same. for example, many stringers will allow string to burn in when doing the crosses. just saying..

brownbearfalling
03-26-2010, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying that stringing is an art form. More appropriately it is a profession. It sounded like you might have insulted the man at the company. I am sure it is not your intention and I don't see how you could have done it, but it sounds like he is trying to defend his profession. And sometimes professionals get mad when recreational people own very top quality and high priced equipment that they don't know about. It just seems suiting that professional skilled stringers own professional grade machines. Usually people have years of experience and are very serious about stringing before they personally own a professional grade machine. All that said, I think a better comparison to the profession of stringing, rather than an art form, is stringing is a trade. Trades take different skills that aren't acquired in daily life. Just like welding, wood making, etc which are trades. So it's pretty close to art, but stringing for the most part, doesn't require too much creativity.

You shouldn't feel like you are doing something wrong. Especially if you are only stringing your own racquets and you are happy with the way they play, I don't see why it matter to anyone else.