PDA

View Full Version : Does Nadal look sluggish to you?

pmata814
03-25-2010, 05:58 AM
...I mean compared to the way he used to move? I don't know if it's just me but in Indian Wells his movement seemed labored and looked uncomfortable and almost like he's running 'carefully' as to avoid impact on his knees or something. Did anyone else notice this?

big bang
03-25-2010, 06:19 AM
hes just being carefull, HC is bad for his knees but I think he will move like we used to see when clayseason begins.

KAndersonFan
03-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah, he looks a little slow to me.. probably those sore teeth. :) Yeah, doesn't seem to run down as many balls as he used to, but when he does, looks like he's fast as ever. Maybe if it's 40-15 on his opponents serve he'll give a ball up to conserve himself a little, but at 40-30 or deuce he'll probably go after it.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah. I would say muzzy is faster now

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah. I would say muzzy is faster now

kishnabe
03-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Nadal needs to win more and start to feel more confident naturally to move in his normal speed. Still he does get insane balls back but it isn't as dramatic as before with the sleevless shirts!

yellowoctopus
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
er, wouldn't you move slower too?
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/media/images/shakira-oral-fixation-tour.jpg

Rjtennis
03-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe but at least he is taking a cut at some shots now.

roundiesee
03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I thought he moved extremely well in that match against Berdych, and played some superb tennis. Unfortunately he came up a bit short against Ljubicic, and the OP was right to say that he seemed a little slower cf to his earlier matches. He also wasn't aggressive enough in that crucial third set tie-breaker. But all in all he did look pretty awesome in IW; let's see how he'll perform in Miami.

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 02:51 AM
I thought he moved extremely well in that match against Berdych, and played some superb tennis. Unfortunately he came up a bit short against Ljubicic, and the OP was right to say that he seemed a little slower cf to his earlier matches. He also wasn't aggressive enough in that crucial third set tie-breaker. But all in all he did look pretty awesome in IW; let's see how he'll perform in Miami.

Fully agree with you. He's stated himself that he is near to his best level again, his knees are fine now (question is of course: for how long... :?), and I got the impression that he actually believed he could have won IW. Why otherwise would he have called his loss to Ljubicic an 'accidente' in his postmatch interview?
If anything, he might still be suffering from a loss in mental strength, as it is not often that I see him lose a match after having been in the driver's seat for most of it. So it's all about building up confidence again. Whether he will manage to do so in Miami already remains to be seen (as the surface there doesn't suit him as well as the IW one), but he surely will as soon as the clay season starts off again.

namelessone
03-26-2010, 03:15 AM
Fully agree with you. He's stated himself that he is near to his best level again, his knees are fine now (question is of course: for how long... :?), and I got the impression that he actually believed he could have won IW. Why otherwise would he have called his loss to Ljubicic an 'accidente' in his postmatch interview?
If anything, he might still be suffering from a loss in mental strength, as it is not often that I see him lose a match after having been in the driver's seat for most of it. So it's all about building up confidence again. Whether he will manage to do so in Miami already remains to be seen (as the surface there doesn't suit him as well as the IW one), but he surely will as soon as the clay season starts off again.

He called it an accident because Nadal rarely used to lose when he was up in front. He was one of the greatest frontrunner I have ever seen despite having a ****** serve. Both of his losses in doha and IW were brainfarts IMO. There was a similar match with delpo in miami in 09' when he was leading both in the third and in the tiebreaker but lost. IMO the doha loss was the worst because he missed 2 MP's on easy shots,a routine pass for him and DTL with no pressure. His tennis level was very good overall in these events but he could not bring it in the tight moments. He knows(he stated so) that he needs to work on his game and especially on his attitude during these moments.

He went from not even sniffing at a set against top players last year to beating some of them(sod in exo) and bageling and having MP's others(davydenko in doha). His problem is that the long series of negative events that have happened to him have drained some of his confidence away and it spills into matches with lower ranked players. Look how he ****ed away the ljubicic match. No diss to ljubicic but if Nadal actually played something at 3-2,0-40 in the second the croat would have lost IMO(I'm not gonna mention the tie cause ljubicic served amazing in that one). Nadal used to be so good because he was so constant. Nowadays in a match it is up and down,up and down and this is hurting him,one wins matches and titles by keeping a high level throughout.

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 03:40 AM
^^ I think we express ourselves a bit differently, but on the whole, we agree -it's a mental thing.
That said, I think there might well be another factor playing a role at hand here, and that's that Rafa is already five years at the top of his game. It's highly unusual that a player never has glitches in the mental department during such a long period of time, so might it be that it's just a 'natural' course of things?
That said, with a few good victories, he should be able to regain that confidence again.

namelessone
03-26-2010, 04:07 AM
^^ I think we express ourselves a bit differently, but on the whole, we agree -it's a mental thing.
That said, I think there might well be another factor playing a role at hand here, and that's that Rafa is already five years at the top of his game. It's highly unusual that a player never has glitches in the mental department during such a long period of time, so might it be that it's just a 'natural' course of things? That said, with a few good victories, he should be able to regain that confidence again.

To quote a friend of mine: well DUUUUHHH!! I don't expect the guy to be a mental giant EVERYTIME,that would be inhuman,not to mention unrealistic. But I think having 2 chokes in three months says something about his mental department right now,which is affecting his game as he can hit a terrific running fh winner one point and dump a center court shot into the net on the next one. But I do think that it is just a matter of time before he gets his next title. IMO he deserves one,the guy has been in countless semifinals since Cincinatti last year,lost 2 finals(having 2 MP's in one of them),not to mention getting injured along the way. He could use a break.

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 04:34 AM
To quote a friend of mine: well DUUUUHHH!! I don't expect the guy to be a mental giant EVERYTIME,that would be inhuman,not to mention unrealistic.

Well... let's just say that I have noticed some folks around who indeed seem to believe such. Which is indeed ridiculous.

But I think having 2 chokes in three months says something about his mental department right now,which is affecting his game as he can hit a terrific running fh winner one point and dump a center court shot into the net on the next one.

I agree that he's not as mentally strong as he used to be right now, but 2 chokes in three months, is that really so many? I think all players have these kind of inexplainable losses at times, that including all of the top players. It would be rather unfair to think that in Nadal's case these are merely chokes, whereas in other, similar, cases, folks claim the player who lost, lost fair-and-square. If Rafa's losses against Ljubicic and Davydenko were merely chokes, than the same thing could be said about Federer's losses against Tsonga, Benneteau and Bagdahtis, and I don't think that's fair in either case. Losses have a lot to do with that guy on the other side of the net, too...

But I do think that it is just a matter of time before he gets his next title. IMO he deserves one,the guy has been in countless semifinals since Cincinatti last year,lost 2 finals(having 2 MP's in one of them),not to mention getting injured along the way. He could use a break.

Yep, fully agree, and as I am a positive person, I'd say it's merely a matter of time.

ericsson
03-26-2010, 04:35 AM
er, wouldn't you move slower too?
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/media/images/shakira-oral-fixation-tour.jpg

Yes sir i would.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2hmh98i.jpg

jrod
03-26-2010, 04:41 AM
http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/music/img/2988_Shakira.jpg
(http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/music/img/2988_Shakira.jpg)