PDA

View Full Version : pro grip position

leobloom
03-25-2010, 06:52 AM
anyone know if top pros have ever been asked about playing with the same "sides" of their racquets? meaning do they always find the same grip position? when they flip the racquet between points does it always go back to the same spot or are they comfortable to grip on either side? random thought...

Rysty
03-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Robin Söderling (SWE) plays with the same side of his racquet (grip, actually) up. Don't know if there are others.

LeeD
03-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I suspect most pros notice a difference in grip shape from side to side, and favor a given side for certain shots, if they have time. Once play begins, adrenaline and endorphins take over, and they seldom feel for the same side of the hitting face.
I assume you're not taking about hitting all shots with the same side, like some shorter players do with radical Western grips.

jemsiter
03-25-2010, 10:02 AM
It appears Roddick hits his shots on the same side.
I got his racquets and there are significant scratches on the head guard on one side but hardly any scratches on the other side.

LeeD
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Of course, most decent players have one favored feel for the grip.
In my case, 75% of the scraping is on one side, so that's my favored side IF I HAVE time to find it.

morten
03-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Federer does, black beam of his blx always facing upwards..

Chezbeeno
03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I think players who use Wilson racquets might be more prone to doing this since Wilson racquets aren't symmetrical, the two sides are different, I almost always use the same side of the racquet, I can feel the difference in the grip too, it's weird

OliverSimon
03-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I had no idea pros did this.

-
O

Yveskim89
03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
i think its the grip that really matters........ me too i play the same side of my racquet... i found that theres more comfort on the side that im using compare to the other side.... pro's know any small diff in the grip.....

end of discussion....

KiNG
03-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Yea you'll be surprised at how many pros play with the same side the whole time. Just pay attention next time you watch tennis matches on TV.

JK [Slovakia]
03-26-2010, 12:22 AM
look at murray, he is unique of using the same side of racquet. why?
because he use one side on serve and then immediately change the grip to other side to play the point. i didnt see this on any other player, but most of them use the same side everytime.

DNShade
03-26-2010, 02:29 AM
This is a very common thing for players who have been playing for a while. You just get a feel for the grip and naturally like the way your hand feels on on side vs the other on the forehand - and opposite on the backhand etc.

I've been doing this for years as do most players who have been at it a while - so you end up using the same side of the racquet on the forehand and the other for the backhand. It gets to be automatic - even when you spin the stick in your hand between each shot you can stop on the side of the grip you want without thinking - I do it all the time. Just habit.

Pretty common stuff actually.

0d1n
03-26-2010, 02:58 AM
I always end up with the "same side up" and it's due to the way the grips are wrapped. One position just feels more "natural" due to the overlap...etc. If you start the grip from the opposite position on the buttcap and wrap it the same way you will end up with the "other" side up if you're used to this stuff and can "feel" the difference.

ronalditop
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
I always end up with the "same side up" and it's due to the way the grips are wrapped. One position just feels more "natural" due to the overlap...etc. If you start the grip from the opposite position on the buttcap and wrap it the same way you will end up with the "other" side up if you're used to this stuff and can "feel" the difference.

Yeah, I "agree" with you.

T Woody
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
"haha" 10char

Lefty78
03-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Lots of pros play on both sides of their racquets... they're called women.

OMGOAT
03-28-2010, 03:58 AM
i think because they have moulds on the racquet griP?

vincent_tennis
03-28-2010, 04:04 AM
LoL one side of the grip will always 'feels' better :p

vincent_tennis
03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
i think because they have moulds on the racquet griP?

yea, youhzny (the russian dude with the OHBH) has an extra bit that sticks out on a side of his pallet