PDA

View Full Version : Are pros allowed to use pain medication (i.e. for wisdom teeth)?

Ledigs
03-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Just wondering as I could not fathom having all 4 of mine out without at least a day of pain relief.

woodrow1029
03-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Just wondering as I could not fathom having all 4 of mine out without at least a day of pain relief.
As long as it doesn't have anything in it that is a banned substance.

coloskier
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
As long as it doesn't have anything in it that is a banned substance.

Percoset???? Since that is an opiate I would think it would be banned.

sureshs
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Do they use novocaine anymore?

Andres
03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Do they use novocaine anymore?
Novocaine is mainly an anesthetic, not a painkiller.

Blinkism
03-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Didn't Agassi take painkiller injections before matches at the end of his career?

NamRanger
03-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Didn't Agassi take painkiller injections before matches at the end of his career?

He took cortical steroids which are legal for medicinal uses.

big bang
03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
morphine is legal, no??:)

Jchurch
03-26-2010, 12:33 AM
I would think if they were prescribed it then it would be ok to take it. Wouldn't the tests show if they were abusing prescription meds?

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 01:46 AM
As far as I know players are allowed to use painkillers, corticosteriods, etc., as long as it's prescripted by an independent doctor, and officially requested by attest to the ATP/WADA whatsoever.
Any athlete having to undergo surgery (and having your wisdom teeth taken out is minor surgery, yes) is of course allowed to take meds to relieve the pain. Would be pretty nasty otherwise!

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 01:56 AM
Of course they are. Some players would grimace in pain if that was not the case.

I'm pretty sure Nadal has played quite a few matches with severe pain killers for foot and knee.

There was a moment in his RG 2009 match against Söderling that stood in particular.

Nadal fell after backing up for a shot. In the replay it was visible that Nadal attempted to run before he had touched the ground.

The only logical explanation IMO is that his feets were numb, probably because his doctor gave him a too high dose of pain medication. Resulting in Nadal not feeling exactly when he touched the ground and when not.

namelessone
03-26-2010, 02:19 AM
Of course they are. Some players would grimace in pain if that was not the case.

I'm pretty sure Nadal has played quite a few matches with severe pain killers for foot and knee.

There was a moment in his RG 2009 match against Söderling that stood in particular.

Nadal fell after backing up for a shot. In the replay it was visible that Nadal attempted to run before he had touched the ground.

The only logical explanation IMO is that his feets were numb, probably because his doctor gave him a too high dose of pain medication. Resulting in Nadal not feeling exactly when he touched the ground and when not.

Maybe,maybe not(maybe he slipped,though that is unusual for Nadal who has clay masterclass movement). What I do know is that,according to tony,after the hewitt match Nadal had some major problems(and that was a quick match) so I guess painkillers must have played a major part in the next match. That's what you get when you push your body. I really really hope Nadal will listen to his body from now on,at least in the clay season.

aphex
03-26-2010, 03:34 AM
nadal has been on "medication" for years preparing for the toothache.

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Maybe,maybe not(maybe he slipped,though that is unusual for Nadal who has clay masterclass movement). What I do know is that,according to tony,after the hewitt match Nadal had some major problems(and that was a quick match) so I guess painkillers must have played a major part in the next match. That's what you get when you push your body. I really really hope Nadal will listen to his body from now on,at least in the clay season.

Slipping can always happen, but that incident looked different. Nadal almost never slips on clay anyway, and never (to my knowledge) the way he did there.

I too hope that he doesn't make the same mistakes again, but didn't he already state his intentions of playing all the big clay events and Barcelona?

namelessone
03-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Slipping can always happen, but that incident looked different. Nadal almost never slips on clay anyway, and never (to my knowledge) the way he did there.

[B]I too hope that he doesn't make the same mistakes again, but didn't he already state his intentions of playing all the big clay events and Barcelona?

I see no problem in playing them as long as he FEELS GOOD physically. If there is a sign of trouble around the second or third tourney just drop'em and prepare for RG,no matter what seed you end up.

And yeah,come to think of it,I have never seen Nadal slip on clay and I have watched 90% of his clay matches since 2005.

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 04:04 AM
I see no problem in playing them as long as he FEELS GOOD physically. If there is a sign of trouble around the second or third tourney just drop'em and prepare for RG,no matter what seed you end up.

And yeah,come to think of it,I have never seen Nadal slip on clay and I have watched 90% of his clay matches since 2005.
IMO Nadal is painwise at a level where he no longer just "feels good".

I bet there's always pain and some minor injuries. The things that change are his form and his confidence, basically whetever he feels he can win a given event or not.

Since 2007 he failed so many times in taking breaks before the injuries got too severe.

I don't know why, maybe he still wanted to win as much as possible, or he and his team underestimated the problems, or his normal level of pain is at a level not much different to when the injuries get too worse (I really hope that the latter isn't the case).

Ledigs
03-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Hmm so perhaps it wasn't exactly the pain that caused him troubles directly but the using of painkillers that a) masked the pain too much so he did not know when he was severely injuring himself and b) causing him to run slower

I wonder now if he's still playing with painkillers and thus does not know where his limits are physically

rommil
03-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Nadal is still taking pain killers after beaten down by Soderling. It's perfectly understandable.