PDA

View Full Version : cheap strings compare to well known expensive strings

monkeyisland90
03-25-2010, 08:22 AM
I buy cheaper strings because it break it a lot and sometimes use ball machine or just regulra hitting and feel spending 20.00 on strings for that will eat at my wallet. i dont mind playing a match with nice strings but wondering the following..

Will having specific strings that are well reviewed compare to some mass produced synthetic gut have dramatic change.. (like lexilon big banger vs no name brand **** strings.. or even like lowest end prince strings..

Will the comparison be in terms of the "pop" it brings.. or just the feel/feedback and control only..

I would think that tension is much important?

parasailing
03-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Strings do play a part in the equation just like finding the right racquet that fits your game but it is probably third on my list with form and technique followed by racquet.

I use to not really care about strings but after hitting with different ones, you get a better sense of which one feels more comfortable.

Tension does matter and every time I break a string, I keep the same type but try at a different tension to see if it feels more comfortable.

coyfish
03-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Depends on the cheap string. There are good cheap string and bad cheap string. Comes down to researching a little and finding those with good reviews.

My favorite poly is unique big hitter. 6.95 for a pack. I like it more than luxilon to be honest. Softer on my arm.

My syn gut of choice is gosen ogm which is under 4 bucks a pack.

So basically my hyrbid costs me ~5 bucks and lasts me a good 10-12 hours before I break it.

Tension makes a big difference. The same frame / same string with a very tight setup will feel very different from a loose setup.

Preston
03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Keep reading the boards man, and you will that most people here don't play Lux. Some like it, some don't, but most agree it's too expensive. There are a lot of good polys for half the price of lux.

There are a lot of smaller companies producing some pretty dang good strings.

From your post i think you are possibly comparing polys to synguts though. Which doesn't work so well. If you like lux, stick with poly strings and just check out some other brands.

All the synguts I've hit hav much less control than the polys.