PDA

View Full Version : California Community Colleges

roddick_rulz
03-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Hi,
I know that most people are interested in playing for DI colleges due to their tennis excellence and academic prestige. I am not at that level is tennis, and due to my circumstances of being from Canada, it's difficult to get admitted academically. So, this means that I have chosen to attend a California community college, but here's where I need your help. I want to play on the tennis team...but I'm not sure what level they play at and how capable I am of playing at this level. I know this info about me may not help much, but I suppose it's better than nothing. I am a 4.5 player...baseliner and I went to the provincial championships with my partner, representing my high school. I lost in the quarters.

LeeD
03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
They say DomincanCollege in SanRafael favors out of country players. I played and practiced with their #2 a long time ago, maybe early '90's, and he won WimbledonJrs. a year later.
There's just too many community colleges around California, so you have to pick one by location first, then find one that accepts you.

roddick_rulz
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I would like to play for Orange Coast College if that helps.

Dream_On
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I am also wondering about CCC's, I'm wondering what the standard of play is/Are the best ones really good and worst really bad?

LeeD
03-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Friend of mine played for UCRiverside, a Div11 college inland from LA. He's about a solid 4.5, and played singles 5 on the team as a junior and senior. He's could see the SanBernadinoMountains easily from campus, about 1/2 away, for snowboarding in the winters.
It's about an hour and twenty minutes (light traffic, off hours), from surfing beaches Topanga, and the zoo (Malibu).

GRANITECHIEF
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
This is a great school, probably one of the best community colleges in CA. They just got a new tennis coach who used to play for Duke, then on the French Club $ Circuit and had some ATP points. He is still a 6.0 player that could probably make a futures main draw. Guys at the top of the lineup are probably 5.5, 4.5 at the bottom.

http://www.sbcc.edu/phototour/

I hear that Ventura College is also tough and they have a very strong tennis team.

dennis10is
03-25-2010, 08:36 PM

OCC is a nice school. I used to go there to find matches when I was in high school, many years ago. I'm local to the OC.

As far as I know, it has maintained a good reputation. The local high schools in that area are loaded with strong players (University High and Corona Del Mar comes to mind). Some of them may not have the academic credential to go directly to D1 schools so they go to the CC and then hope to transfer.

There are all sorts of arguments about levels and what not but if think you are a good high school player in Canada, then I think you can be on the team at OCC. Just be humble and don't expect to start. Enjoy the experience, get an education, and enjoy the beaches, the mountain, the weather there. There a lots of things to do and experience in the OC.

Fee
03-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Where do you live? OCC should be playing their men's tennis season right now. See if their schedule is posted on the school's website, then go watch one of their matches. That will give you an idea if you are good enough to play there.

You could also go to the Ojai Community College Tournament and see a whole bunch of schools playing over one weekend.

!<-_->!
03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
College of the Desert, Fresno, and Santa Rosa are a few schools that come to my mind as having a pretty decent team. I know College of the Desert takes a lot of foreign players.

gokou703
03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm biased, but Chabot College has a strong tennis program as well. We also have a brand new tennis facility. You should consider checking it out. p.m. me if you have any other questions.

!<-_->!
03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm biased, but Chabot College has a strong tennis program as well. We also have a brand new tennis facility. You should consider checking it out. p.m. me if you have any other questions.

Not this year unfortunately, haha

!<-_->!
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
I also would like to add that there is a serious lack of coaching and organization for the men's chabot team.

Smurf
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
There are some good SD county teams that you could probably play for ie. SD Mesa, Palomar, Grossmont. OCC has a very strong team.

gokou703
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
I also would like to add that there is a serious lack of coaching and organization for the men's chabot team.

Unfortunately this year the men's team isn't doing well. Like always though the women are winning (8-1). It's unfair to say that there's a lack of organization and coaching for the men's team. Especially with the long history of winning seasons. If there was then Coach Morris wouldn't have gotten the ITA National Junior College Women's Coach of the Year award (2006) and the ITA National Junior College Men's Coach of the Year Award (2007). It just so happens to be a down year and it might be viewed as bad coaching when it's really a lack of strong players on this years roster.

!<-_->!
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I say it isn't isolated to this year in terms of his coach or lack of as it appeared evident last year as well that the trend is he will only follow the women's team and the men's team are left to fend for themselves. If there happens to be enough talent, then there will be success. But this success, it seems, can't be attributed to coaching as when looking around, nearly all the other schools' coaches do a better job in aiding their players. e.g. drilling or conditioning. However, there is little to none of this seen at chabot, or at least within these past 2 years. I cannot speak for years past. Thus was his reception of those awards a reflection of his coaching or his fortune in having talented players who did not need much from the coach/had their own coach to work on their game?

gokou703
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
I say it isn't isolated to this year in terms of his coach or lack of as it appeared evident last year as well that the trend is he will only follow the women's team and the men's team are left to fend for themselves. If there happens to be enough talent, then there will be success. But this success, it seems, can't be attributed to coaching as when looking around, nearly all the other schools' coaches do a better job in aiding their players. e.g. drilling or conditioning. However, there is little to none of this seen at chabot, or at least within these past 2 years. I cannot speak for years past. Thus was his reception of those awards a reflection of his coaching or his fortune in having talented players who did not need much from the coach/had their own coach to work on their game?

Similar to how you can only speak for the past two years I can only speak from my experience 2004-2005, and a couple years following since I still kept close tabs on the program. I was fortunate to be closely coached and conditioned by the assistant coaches in the program. Outside help from alumni was a constant occurrence as well. I understand the importance of drilling and conditioning (coach high school) and when I was there I got more than enough to help my game. I know that the assistant coaching staff has changed since I left so maybe a focus has been put on the women's team. As for having talented players let's not take away from the effort and importance of scouting these players. That is a responsibility of the head coach and if a coach is able to do a good job recruiting high level players then he's doing his job. Hopefully the type of coaching I had continues in the future.

!<-_->!
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
The assistant coach that is there now is a complete joke. All he is good for is stating the obvious, spitting all over the court and one-liners that make absolutely no sense. You're fortunate to have had all that. Absolutely nothing goes on at practices these days. Zero organization. As for the recruiting, I think the program just gets lucky that some players decide to choose that school randomly. And I know for a fact that that was true for one player who is very good. He just randomly chose Chabot by luck. No recruiting done by the staff at all.

JW10S
04-03-2010, 03:35 PM
While I have limited knowledge of this subject I can aver that the College of the Desert has a good program. I heard about it from former COD player Rodrigo Grilli from Brazil who later transferred to UCLA, won the Ojai Pac-10 tourney, and went on to the pro tour. I believe other ATP players have played there as well. A couple times I've dropped in to practice with the team between tournaments and they've had some good players. I did so earlier this year and if I remember correctly of the dozen or so players on their roster only one was from the US. The school attracts a lot of South American players as well as some Europeans and there was one guy from Japan. The coach, who I only know as 'Carl' (I don't recall his last name) is a good guy and is also the pro at a local club, where the team plays. The team gets some good support from the locals. I know they have been ranked highly in the CC system the last several years.

Joeyg
04-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi !<- ->!,

I am pretty sure we know each other and that you have attended my clinics in Fremont. Give me a call or stop by today at 12:30 (if it's dry). Unfortunately, my hands are tied as to how practices are run and I am only there at Chabot one day a week.

Coach Joe

kevsaenz
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Here's the site for OCC
http://www.orangecoastcollege.edu/CmsOccWeb/Templates/athletics/SportsDefault.aspx?FRAMELESS=true&NRNODEGUID={0068 D469-6AFE-454B-92AE-001E5A9AF8B7}&redirected=1&abs=1

like someone said earlier they have some matches this week so come out and watch.
sorry looks like the link isn't working, just go to the homepage/athletics/mens sports/tennis

renegades10
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
CCC tennis at the top has some very good players. I spent my first year on scholarship at a D1 school and actually quit tennis after my freshman year. I took a year off and then played for a JC in NorCal last year. The top players are very good. You will see a mix of ages in the JC ranks. I was 21 when I was playing last year but it is not uncommon to see players 23 years old and up playing. Players from out of the country are becoming very prevalent in community college tennis primarily from South America. The state tournament which features the top 8 players from both NorCal and SoCal is tough. Many of the top guys go on to play tennis at a 4 year. Depending on the age of the player will determine if they are playing d1 or not. many go to the NAIA schools which are governed by a different set of rules and by the way the top NAIA teams compete with and beat D1 teams on a regular basis including those ranked in the top 75. So to answer your question yes community college tennis is very tough at the top. I find that teams in Socal have much more depth then the NorCal teams which is why they usually win the team state title.

In regards to coaching, I find that most of the JC coaches of the top teams are not great coaches themselves, but rather just get good players and ride them to success. Just my opinion.

One thing you may need to watch out for though is budget cuts due to the economy. The school I played for last year had to cut the tennis program because of this. It didn't matter since I had already used my first two years of playing up, but more schools will be affected by this as early as next year.

!<-_->!
04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
renegades10, what school did you play for? Was it Ohlone by chance? I know they had a team last year but no longer have one this year.

Bud
04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Santa Barbara CC has a decent tennis team as well.

In San Diego... I watched the #1 and #2 from Grossmont CC play the #1 and #2 from SD City College.

Those two guys from Grossmont were very good players. I'd peg them at 5.0-5.5

They made the top two at City look like amateurs.

!<-_->!
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Grossmont's #1 kind of reminds me of Verdasco... his demeanor anyway.

Smurf
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I think Santa Barbara CC has a decent tennis team as well.

In San Diego... I watched the #1 and #2 from Grossmont CC play the #1 and #2 from SD City College.

Those two guys from Grossmont were very good players. I'd peg them at 5.0-5.5

They made the top two at City look like amateurs.

No offense to city, but a lot of people could make them look like amateurs.

cmb
04-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Does anyone know if Santa Barbara CC gives out scholarships?

GRANITECHIEF
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Dont know but not likely, especially given the state of the CA economy.

Fee
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Does anyone know if Santa Barbara CC gives out scholarships?

Community colleges don't really have scholarships, students are eligible for Board of Governors grants and Pell grants and assorted financial aid. A lot of the CC campuses have privately funded scholarships, but they are usually small and done by a competitive application process. Check the websites of the colleges you are interested in and see what funding options they have available, but be prepared for slim pickings due to the state budget situation, as mentioned above.

roddick_rulz
04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
For CCs, how do you "make the team"?
Are there recruits? Is it strictly based on tryouts?

GRANITECHIEF
04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Both methods.

roddick_rulz
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I was looking at the adiplayer requirements, and i found that it says: Current collegiate players with a proper documentation from school.
Does this include juco players?

renegades10
04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
renegades10, what school did you play for? Was it Ohlone by chance? I know they had a team last year but no longer have one this year.

ya i did the name must have given it away.

renegades10
04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I was looking at the adiplayer requirements, and i found that it says: Current collegiate players with a proper documentation from school.
Does this include juco players?

In your situation I would recommend looking at some schools online. If you have an idea of where you want to go it makes it that much easier. After this make sure they have a tennis team and then contact the coach. Usually most schools will have contact info on the tennis site. Send them an email tell them about yourself and your playing experience and then they will help you with the process. If you are undecided about where to go send out emails to several coaches. If you are from another country and have not lived in the U.S. anytime recently then I think there is a different process you must go through then the regular JUCO application. Some coaches will have quite a bit of experience with this, others will not. But I am sure most will be able to help you.

renegades10
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
One more thing in regards to scholarships, no they don't give out scholarships. As some mentioned there are grants you can apply for. However, coaches find ways around these rules and will be able to set you up, but that is why going to a school that has dealt with this before would be a good idea. Do you think that the South American All-Stars also known as College of the Desert are paying their own way through?

!<-_->!
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Ah, cool. I remember watching you play. You have a pretty big game.

ya i did the name must have given it away.

MochiMellow
04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
OCC has a very good tennis program. The coach is an awesome guy. I had two good seasons there before I transferred to csuf. I played last season in 09. I'm glad they haven't updated the group photo for the 2010 season =X There are tryouts in winter but I recommend you take the fall class for prospective players for the team. I'm the only vietnamese kid in their mens tennis homepage =_=

kevsaenz
04-12-2010, 07:34 AM
OCC has a very good tennis program. The coach is an awesome guy. I had two good seasons there before I transferred to csuf. I played last season in 09. I'm glad they haven't updated the group photo for the 2010 season =X There are tryouts in winter but I recommend you take the fall class for prospective players for the team. I'm the only vietnamese kid in their mens tennis homepage =_=

Brian who said you could come to TW

ChuDat
04-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Some of what !<- ->! is true. Chabot had to play a few mens matches with only 4 players, which I don't think has ever happened. Mainly because som