PDA

View Full Version : Cross suggention for MG prestige MP hybrid setup

allrounder
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I string for my son who is in H.School varsity team (myself a 4.5 level player).
Racquet is Microgel Prestige MP (not pro version).
Used to string with mains Luxilon BB Ace 18 52lb & Gosen OG sheep 17 @ 54.
He never broke strings a year ago when he did not hit vary hard (due to age etc). Now he breaks the crosses at the sweet spot in a few days (10-12 hrs) of play.
Moved to PSG in crosses with same mains (BB ace) broke it even faster.
Would like to keep tension @ 50m/52 cross.
Any suggestions on crosses to keep the same feel but make the string job last longer. Son's 16 and hits pretty solid.

dincuss
03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
maybe try full poly?
but that would diminish some feel,

try also using 16 gauge gut, or 15L

coyfish
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Its probably a good thing that he breaks the strings in about 10-12 hours. Because beyond that the poly gets too loose / becomes dead.

Gosen OGM is the the best/cheapest/most durable syn gut I have played with. Lasts longer than prince syn gut w/duraflex for me.

I would try a new poly. Luxilon had a tendency to really "notch" into my syn gut crosses. Not to mention you save a lot of money. Luxilon isn't worth the price for an amateur.

Give unique big hitter or bam big ace micro a shot. Both feel similar to luxilon but are softer. So they won't eat into the syn gut crosses as much.

THESEXPISTOL
03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Change that luxilon by big hitter or cyberflash. It will be more affordable.

allrounder
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses, appreciate it.

I already tried, big ace micro. I liked everything about this string, but one.
This string is temperature sensitive. If playing temp. is above 55 Faren. the string is as good as Luxilon and softer. When temp. drops below 55, then this string is like a board. I live in Jersey, so summer's ok, not ok in fall/winter.

Big hitter & cyber flash do not come in 18 guage, so in prestige MP with 18x20 string pattern, going to 17 guage in mains, spin generation is completely lost with poly (it's still ok with multi mains, but string movement is bad).

I might go back to Lux mains/gosen OGSheep micro for crosses and string it at 50/54.

coyfish
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Luxilon bb doesn't come in 18 gauge . . .

Im not following why poly in the mains would have less spin than multi . . .

poly > multi in terms of spin and 1 gauge unit wont change that.

allrounder
04-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Lux BB Ace comes in 1.12 mm which is 18 guage.

From TW website.....
Luxilon Big Banger Ace 18 Strings
Gauge: 18 / 1.12mm
Length: 40 feet /12.2m
Composition: Co-polymer (nylon) + Fluocarbon resin + new extra fibers
Colors: Pearl and Green

Found this to be great in all weather conditions, even winter. No loss of feel, and no string movement at all.

By less spin I mean, when mains string guage increases in 18/20 string pattern racquet, there is less 'ball bite' when the ball contacts the stringbed. This 'in my opinion' is reducing the spin potential.
If you play with racquets with a very open string pattern (eg.16x19), you may not notice this effect.

This is what I experience, others may disagree.
Thank you for your comments.