PDA

View Full Version : Rome Masters announcers

Pirc Defense
05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
I know a lot of people don't have the Tennis Channel, so this probably won't get too much play, but have you been listening closely to the announcers at this thing? Don't know their names, but they say some pretty controversial stuff. The other day that called out the judge for being fat, and today they said that Stepanek was making Nadal look like a monkey. Nobody likes to be called a monkey. They are also very quick to say that a person is throwing in the match...they made this call against Verdasco v. Roddick, and it came back to bite them in the azz.

Thoughts?

aj_m2009
05-06-2005, 10:05 AM
That's terrible, calling players monkeys and saying something 'cause a guy is overweight. If I were you or anyone else that gets TTC I would be calling or e-mailing them telling them something about the announcers. If they are smart they'll do something about it.

VamosRafa
05-06-2005, 10:22 AM
They don't bother me too much. One is John Barrett, and Josh Eagle also is in the booth. They actually tend to be quiet during points (no worries about awkward silences), and their commentary is pretty understated overall. I'll have to listen to the monkey comment later, but I don't recall the overweight one. Although they did say that one umpire was getting redder each day, and should invest in some sunscreen.

lefty10spro
05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I didn't hear the controversial stuff either, but these guys are intelligent and knowledgeable and don't try to be so politically correct. Very refreshing!!

Andy Hewitt
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Well maybe he shouldnt be so fat then!

TwistServe
05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
The announcers on TTC don't really know what they're talking about. They are just trying to make conversation to keep the chatter busy, otherwise they wouldn't have a job. And they aren't very original too. They say the same thing about all the players.. "oh so and so has a great baseline game but he won't go to the net, and he needs to so that he can close out the point"... etc etc.. blah blah..

I do like their accents though.

Craig Sheppard
05-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I think they're great! Those guys are so much better than ESPN guys IMO... they actually say some interesting stuff. Sure some of it might be over the top but you can laugh at it too.

One thing I really like is they keep bringing up how the Luxilon strings are changing the game, allowing lots of spin and hard hitting. They've said on at least 3 occasions that the ITF should consider banning the strings if they change the game too much. I've *never* heard anyone on ESPN even make a passing attempt to talk about equipment other than "these newfangled racquets" they use.

To me these guys act like they actually follow the players and the game. They'l recite recent incidents, interviews, matches etc like they actually pay attention. I say keep them in business!

Yours!05
05-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I know a lot of people don't have the Tennis Channel, so this probably won't get too much play, but have you been listening closely to the announcers at this thing? Don't know their names, but they say some pretty controversial stuff. The other day that called out the judge for being fat, and today they said that Stepanek was making Nadal look like a monkey. Nobody likes to be called a monkey. They are also very quick to say that a person is throwing in the match...they made this call against Verdasco v. Roddick, and it came back to bite them in the azz.
Thoughts?
John Barrett is an Englishman, 65+, http://tinyurl.com/agl4d , and Josh Eagle is around 30 years old, Aussie, and Pat Rafter's good mate and occasional doubles partner.
My guess is, to both of them, calling someone a monkey means no more than
that person is exhibiting some monkey behavior characteristics like chattering, jumping about, getting nowhere and achieving nothing. The same as it means to me. You could also call an overactive child a monkey.
It might be a little rude in some circumstances, but that's all IMO.
Could be a bit of a cultural misunderstanding to an American.
We're accustomed to Barrett's type of commentating style in Australia - quite casual, with remarks about sunscreen, maybe descriptions of surroundings etc., to add atmosphere for those of us not lucky enough to be there.

Pirc Defense
05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
John Barrett is a middle-aged Englishman, http://tinyurl.com/agl4d , and Josh Eagle is around 30 years old, Aussie, and Pat Rafter's good mate and occasional doubles partner.
My guess is, to both of them, calling someone a monkey, means no more than
that person is exhibiting some monkey behavior characteristics like chattering, jumping about, getting nowhere and achieving nothing. The same as it means to me. You could also call an overactive child a monkey.
It might be a little rude in some circumstances, but that's all IMO.
Could be a bit of a cultural misunderstanding to an American.
We're accustomed to Barrett's type of commentating style in Australia - quite casual, with remarks about sunscreen, maybe descriptions of surroundings etc., to add atmosphere for those of us not lucky enough to be there.

Just to clarify: I think they're both good announcers, they seem to know a bit about tennis, they shut the heck up during the points and yes, they have cool accents.

However, I heard them a few days ago observe that a portly judge who clambered down the chair to check out a call should exercise more often. The guy was a bit overweight. To you and me that's funny, but on national TV, you should probably avoid this. And imagine how the judge is going to feel when he hears about it. Some dude just called him fat. On TV.

Likewise, Verdasco had Nadal on a string, and the commentator made note of this, saying that V. was making N. look like a monkey. Nadal certainly won't appreciate it. It's not that I'm too PC, because believe me I'm not. Rather it's that I understand the majority of people are more PC than me, and these types of comments can sometimes cause quite the stir.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed these comments.

Craig Sheppard
05-07-2005, 06:30 AM
However, I heard them a few days ago observe that a portly judge who clambered down the chair to check out a call should exercise more often. The guy was a bit overweight. To you and me that's funny, but on national TV, you should probably avoid this. And imagine how the judge is going to feel when he hears about it. Some dude just called him fat. On TV.

Likewise, Verdasco had Nadal on a string, and the commentator made note of this, saying that V. was making N. look like a monkey. Nadal certainly won't appreciate it. It's not that I'm too PC, because believe me I'm not. Rather it's that I understand the majority of people are more PC than me, and these types of comments can sometimes cause quite the stir.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed these comments.

Yeah, I noticed both of them. I believe in the beginning of the match during a coin flip, Barrett said "there is the ample figure of <umpire's name>". I paid it no attention. Who cares? And as far as calling Nadal a "monkey", he didn't. He said Verdasco's play was making him look like a monkey on the court. This is just the same as saying something like "using him like a rag doll" or something like that... He wasn't calling the guy a monkey. He was just saying Nadal looked beat, hopeless at some times. These are non issues... Europeans have different expressions for things that sound odd to Americans... I'd let it go, it wasn't meant as any kind of insult and I don't see why someone would take it as one.