PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

David123
03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey guys i was just browsing through the tenniswarehouse site when i came upon the following fact:

Rafael nadal use pro hurricane tour on full string bed, while roddick uses it as a hybrid with babolat Vs. Its surprising enough to find the fact that nadal does not use natural gut, but also both players use it in the thicker 16g. However i came upon the assumption from the talks on these boards that playabiltiy improves are the gauge increases, so why are they using the thicker gauge when it offers durability, and why is nadal choosing not to play with natural gut and plays with the full poly which may be bad for his arms?

smack that
03-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Because poly provides better spin than natural gut

armsty
03-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Yeah, full poly>Hybrid for spin. They probably use a thicker gauge because they like the feel of it better maybe, or that they also require that little bit more durability when they play a big match.

brownbearfalling
03-26-2010, 06:51 AM
This question is not interesting, David.

came upon the assumption from the talks on these boards that playabiltiy improves are the gauge increases, so why are they using the thicker gauge when it offers durability,

Read through your post before you submit it. It does not make sense. As gauge "numbers" increase the thickness of the string is decreasing. I don't think you understand that.

why is nadal choosing not to play with natural gut and plays with the full poly which may be bad for his arms?

Do you ever hear about Nadal having arm injuries?

but also both players use it in the thicker 16g.

As you stated, Nadal and Roddick are using 16. That is the thicker gauge. What the heck are you trying to say?

Ookie Cookie
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Well first of nadal doesn't use pro hurricane tour, nor did he ever, he used duralast tour 15L, and is now said to use rpm blast, but with the ammount of spin nadal puts on the ball he would breat the 17g. In 20 minutes

And also roddick now uses pht 17g, on the mains

JT_2eighty
03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Read through your post before you submit it. It does not make sense. As gauge "numbers" increase the thickness of the string is decreasing. I don't think you understand that.

Actually i think his question does make sense, he said "from the talks on these boards that playabiltiy improves are the gauge increases", which it does... as gauge increases, i.e as thickness decreases (same things you are both saying), playability typically increases.

But, the answer to his question is most likely a) they use 16g for durability, and b) they use open-string patterns so don't need the thinner string.

More or less, a 16x19 racket with 16g is comparable in feel to an 18x20 with a 17 or 18g string.. MORE OR LESS, obviously the feels will still be different, and obviously there are probably other, better reasons they use 16g. But wow, just everyone chillax.

David123
03-26-2010, 02:16 PM
yeah i am pretty sure i was pretty clear with what i was saying, in addition whats open-string pattern?

JT_2eighty
03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Any string pattern with 16 mains is generally considered "open", while patterns with 18 mains are generally called "tight".

So, when you have more space between strings (open), the strings will tend to break sooner than a closed/tight 18x20 pattern, hence 16 main users typically will use thicker strings than their 18 main counterparts.

Steve Huff
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Whoever said "you get more spin with poly" should tell that to Sampras. Slow motion camera shots of his serve versus other top pro's serves showed that Sampras got over 4000 revolutions/min compared to around 2500 rpm for other top pro's. Sampras didn't use poly.

JT_2eighty
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Whoever said "you get more spin with poly" should tell that to Sampras. Slow motion camera shots of his serve versus other top pro's serves showed that Sampras got over 4000 revolutions/min compared to around 2500 rpm for other top pro's. Sampras didn't use poly.

Exactly. Spin is 95% technique, 5% gear. On a similar note, 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Sampras used 17g gut strung at 75lbs. on an 85 sq in frame... but nowadays everyone prefers to emulate Nadal's poly on a 100 sq in, oh well, I'll pass on the plastic strings for now...