PDA

View Full Version : Odesnik fined for importing HGH

CMM
03-26-2010, 12:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-odesnik-hgh

BRISBANE, Australia (AP)—An Australian court has fined American tennis player Wayne Odesnik for importing human growth hormone into the country.

The 24-year-old Odesnik, ranked No. 98 in the world, was stopped by customs officers as he arrived in Australia in January ahead of the Brisbane International and Australian Open. Eight vials, each containing 6 milligrams of HGH, were found among his baggage.

Odesnik, 24, pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday to importing the hormone and was fined $7,280 plus $1,040 in court costs.

The matter is now expected to be referred to the International Tennis Federation and Odesnik faces a possible two-year ban for possession of a prohibited substance.

Odesnik reached the quarterfinals at Brisbane before and the second round of the Australian Open.

Li Ching Yuen
03-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Hopefully, he'll get banned for a couple of good years.

raging
03-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Hopefully, he'll get banned for a couple of good years.

This is shocking news...wondered what happened to him the last few months...it will rock the sport of tennis and finally put paid to any illusions...
Tennis is NOT clean!
Really sad...hope he gets help from his family and friends...he is going to need it!:oops:

TheTruth
03-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Darn! That's horrible. What was he thinking?

raging
03-26-2010, 12:56 AM
I just did a search and found Wayne has listed on the ATP site... Willy Canas as one of his coaches!...oh boy! here we go again...

mikro112
03-26-2010, 01:04 AM
I just did a search and found Wayne has listed on the ATP site... Willy Canas as one of his coaches!...oh boy! here we go again...

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=319405

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 01:08 AM
HGH is not detectable, he won't ever get banned unless he injects it on live tv.

I wonder how much Canas "influenced" him and how many are actually using HGH.
I bet it's at least 20% of the top50 players.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Re Canas
I knew it I knew it I knew iittttt

dirtballer
03-26-2010, 02:58 AM
There is a blood test for HGH but it is only good for at most three days from use.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4940922

fantom
03-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Wow. What an idiot.

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 03:32 AM
There is a blood test for HGH but it is only good for at most three days from use.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4940922

I don't think that the ITF is using those tests.

featherlight
03-26-2010, 04:34 AM
i hope he gets a light punishment , man what was he thinking

jrod
03-26-2010, 04:42 AM
^^^ This says more about his intellect than anything else. What a moron.

TennisFan008
03-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Why on earth should he get a light punishment? The guy deserves a two year ban!

Rorsach
03-26-2010, 05:12 AM
i hope he gets a light punishment , man what was he thinking

Just wondering, why are you hoping for a light punishment?

Ledigs
03-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Who is canas?

JennyS
03-26-2010, 05:30 AM
First Agassi, now Odesnik. What a great few months for US men's tennis:D

Berlioz
03-26-2010, 05:31 AM
Who is canas?

Former top 10 player from Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Ca%C3%B1as

jackcrawford
03-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Why on earth should he get a light punishment? The guy deserves a two year ban!
When a nobody like this punk is using it, it makes you wonder how widespread the problem is. Lifetime ban immediately, thankfully some athletes like boxer Mayweather stand up for mandatory blood testing to keep sporting events clean. Diabetics test themselves multiple times a day, and playing sports for money is a privilege not a right, so let's not hear it can't be done on grounds of "pain" or civil liberties.

dcdoorknob
03-26-2010, 05:36 AM
HGH is not detectable, he won't ever get banned unless he injects it on live tv.

The article says he could get the 2 year ban for possesion of a prohibited substance.

I'm not expert on the actual rules here. They obv won't be able to prove with a drug test that he's actually taken it, but could he get the full 2 year ban for possesion? I would hope so.

Either way, this is idiotic for Odesnik. Maybe still not quite as braindead as Plaxico Burress carrying a gun to a nightclup in his sweatpants waistband and shooting himself in the leg, but its up there.

batz
03-26-2010, 06:33 AM
When a nobody like this punk is using it, it makes you wonder how widespread the problem is. Lifetime ban immediately, thankfully some athletes like boxer Mayweather stand up for mandatory blood testing to keep sporting events clean. Diabetics test themselves multiple times a day, and playing sports for money is a privilege not a right, so let's not hear it can't be done on grounds of "pain" or civil liberties.

Utter bollox. Playing sport for money is the same as doing anything else (legal) for money. It's a job like any other. A great job for sure, but a job nonetheless.

Andres
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
The article says he could get the 2 year ban for possesion of a prohibited substance.

I'm not expert on the actual rules here. They obv won't be able to prove with a drug test that he's actually taken it, but could he get the full 2 year ban for possesion? I would hope so.

Either way, this is idiotic for Odesnik. Maybe still not quite as braindead as Plaxico Burress carrying a gun to a nightclup in his sweatpants waistband and shooting himself in the leg, but its up there.
Could he be banned for posession?

So, if the ITF testers finds an untouched marijuana plant on his house, could he be banned as well?

swordtennis
03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
Interesting. Chump change in a way tho. If Dr. Fuentes complete list is ever revealed that will be monsterous.

Pink_Shirt
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM

Especially when you're making this kind of money. Amen.

sureshs
03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
What kinds of benefits does HGH provide? I know it is prescribed for some people who are very short in their childhood. What are the side-effects?

No googled answers please. Speak from your heart.

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 08:08 AM
What kinds of benefits does HGH provide? I know it is prescribed for some people who are very short in their childhood. What are the side-effects?

No googled answers please. Speak from your heart.

It dramatically shortens recovery time and can even prevent some muscle-related injuries.

swordtennis
03-26-2010, 08:13 AM
http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

sureshs
03-26-2010, 08:16 AM

So, if the ITF testers finds an untouched marijuana plant on his house, could he be banned as well?

In this case it is more than simply posession, isn't it? He was bringing it into Australia. What for? To give it to an Australian friend?

OKUSA
03-26-2010, 08:17 AM
that's a good way to **** away a career

Texastennis
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
This is a very interesting development on two scores:

1) So much discussion about athletes possibly doing hgh and being able to get away with it because most sports drug testing is urine only. Very little proof previously however. Now we have someone caught with it in their possession.

2) However unless Odesnik admits to using it, I think we're going to see (another) uncertain investigation here. It's not a violation of WADA Policy to be in possession of an illicit substance I don't think - someone tell me if I'm wrong. Of course we can all agree he intended to use it, and probably had been using it, but without a blood test (which apparently the police did not do) I think it is going to be tough to suspend him frankly.

And I don't think he seems inclined to admit it because he's kept right on playing - in Australia and since, even in the qualies this week. What will his story be?

RalphNYC
03-26-2010, 08:30 AM
How can the pros not use it?

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Interesting comment on THASP:
Interesting that he would try and smuggle it into Australia. Why didn't he just take it before he got there?

sureshs
03-26-2010, 08:40 AM
The guy is just past the junior stage isn't it? Are US juniors taking HGH on a regular basis? Who supplies them? Do the parents and coaches know?

Texastennis
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Why didn't he take it before he got there?

I presume he did but was planning to be in Australia for several weeks so planned to take it while he was there too. Someone here said even blood tests (very rare in tennis) only identify it if tested within three days of taking it which suggests that if you want to take it, your chances of doing so without detection are very good.

Fee
03-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Canas only just became his coach recently. Wayne has had a few different coaches in the last few years and he's been without one for stretches at a time since he got very little assistance from the USTA (they spend all their money on Kuznetsov, Simmonds, Sweeting, Evans, etc).

Dammit Wayne, this was stupid. Very stupid. Man up and face your punishment.

Lsmkenpo
03-26-2010, 09:24 AM
This will pretty much will end his career, won't surprise me if he comes out with the truth and names some names of bigger players using PED's and their sources, ala pro baseball.

dropshot winner
03-26-2010, 09:27 AM
This will pretty much will end his career, won't surprise me if he comes out with the truth and names some names of bigger players using PED's and their sources, ala pro baseball.

Why would it end his career? All he did was attempting to reduce the recovery times of weak kangaroo's.

I would be very surprised if the ATP/ITF don't believe that story :).

Lsmkenpo
03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Why would it end his career? All he did was attempting to reduce the recovery times of weak kangaroo's.

I would be very surprised if the ATP/ITF don't believe that story :).

They certainly would if he was top 10, top 5 they would have swept it under the rug.

Fee
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
More info...

http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=7208

Tennis player Wayne Odesnik fined for HGH import

3/26/2010 11:47:00 AM
BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -Wayne Odesnik, an American tennis player ranked No. 98, pleaded guilty Friday to importing human growth hormone into Australia before a tournament leading to the Australian Open. He was fined more than $7,000 and could be banned from tennis for two years.

The 24-year-old player was stopped by customs officers on Jan. 2 when he arrived in Australia ahead of the Brisbane International, a warmup for the year's first Grand Slam event. Eight vials, each containing 6 milligrams of the performance-enhancing substance, were found in his baggage.

Odesnik pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Magistrates Court, the Australian Customs Service said in a statement late Friday. He was fined $7,280 plus $1,040 in court costs.

``We are extremely disappointed in the behavior of this individual, which is in no way representative of the sport of tennis,'' the ATP said in a statement e-mailed to the AP.

ATP spokeswoman Kate Gordon wrote that she couldn't comment on any details of the case because it's considered a ``current investigation.''

Odesnik was born in South Africa and moved to the United States as a toddler. He turned pro in 2004 and is something of a journeyman, with a 32-42 career record in tour-level matches, zero ATP titles and a best ranking of 77th.

He has reached one ATP final, on clay at Houston last year, and the highlight of his Grand Slam career was reaching the third round at the French Open in 2008.

The ATP Web site lists former top-10 player Guillermo Canas as Odesnik's coach. Canas served a 15-month ban in 2005-06 after failing a doping test.

U.S. Tennis Association spokesman Tim Curry said the USTA wouldn't comment. Tennis Australia also declined comment Friday, referring questions to the International Tennis Federation. The ITF said it was notified that Odesnik pleaded guilty.

``The case has been referred to the tennis anti-doping program, and we don't have any further comment,'' the ITF said in a statement to the AP.

Under the World Anti-Doping Authority code - to which the ITF abides - Odesnik faces a possible two-year suspension for possession of a prohibited substance.

Odesnik reached the quarterfinals at the Brisbane International and the second round of the Australian Open at Melbourne. He has since played in four tournaments in the U.S., advancing beyond the first round just once.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority was aware of the charges against Odesnik. It said in a statement it has ``power to receive information from Customs and to carry out investigations into possible violations of anti-doping rules.''

Marion Grant, a spokeswoman for the Customs Service's Border Protection Enforcement, said: ``This prosecution ... should act as an important deterrent for other elite athletes who are considering similar activities.''

Australia's Customs Act has an extensive list of performance-enhancing substances subject to import control.
---
AP Tennis Writer Howard Fendrich contributed to this report.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

raging
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Canas only just became his coach recently. Wayne has had a few different coaches in the last few years and he's been without one for stretches at a time since he got very little assistance from the USTA (they spend all their money on Kuznetsov, Simmonds, Sweeting, Evans, etc).

Dammit Wayne, this was stupid. Very stupid. Man up and face your punishment.

Fee, I feel sick...for exactly that reason..he has worked so hard to get where he is and I am not having a go at Willy...don't believe he would have anything to do with it after the drug allegations/his suspension...I had friends coaching on the tour..and there were whispers about lots of players from Argentina..others were charged..Mariano Puerta was still trying to recover and return last year...Guillermo Coria is another. They struggle to return.
It destroys lives..and I fear it could destroy his.
You are right...really dumb from Wayne.

Ocean Drive
03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
You guys are ******s, this is before Canas started coaching him.

malakas
03-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Canas JUST started coaching and this happened back in January.:roll: Don't be stupid.

What I would like to know is how he thought he could get away with importing in in customs??
And so it seems he has ONLY admitted to importing it and not to actually using it,right?

Fee
03-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Fee, I feel sick...for exactly that reason..he has worked so hard to get where he is and I am not having a go at Willy...don't believe he would have anything to do with it after the drug allegations/his suspension...I had friends coaching on the tour..and there were whispers about lots of players from Argentina..others were charged..Mariano Puerta was still trying to recover and return last year...Guillermo Coria is another. They struggle to return.
It destroys lives..and I fear it could destroy his.
You are right...really dumb from Wayne.

This happened in January, Canas only became his coach last week. Canas was not involved.

CMM
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
What are the side-effects?

You start looking like Dumbo.
http://i42.tinypic.com/x362hw.jpg

Li Ching Yuen
03-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Canas JUST started coaching and this happened back in January.:roll: Don't be stupid.

What I would like to know is how he thought he could get away with importing in in customs??
And so it seems he has ONLY admitted to importing it and not to actually using it,right?

Well, he doesn't seem like a really smart fella', judging by the fact that he started using hgh in the first place.

So, there goes your answer.
I'm really gonna be happy if this guy gets banned for life, just to set up an example.

Fee
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Yes, he pled guilty to possession and that's all. Not sure how the ITF can handle that since they cannot actually prove that he used it (and I guess it's hard to detect anyway?) I guess we'll find out soon enough. No Wayne at Roland Garros this year.

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes, he pled guilty to possession and that's all. Not sure how the ITF can handle that since they cannot actually prove that he used it (and I guess it's hard to detect anyway?) I guess we'll find out soon enough. No Wayne at Roland Garros this year.

Don't the rules say that mere possession of illegal substances leads to punishment/a ban as well?

Fee
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Don't the rules say that mere possession of illegal substances leads to punishment/a ban as well?

I don't know, I'm too lazy to look, and I'm not going to speculate. I'll leave it to someone else on this forum to quote the ITF rulebook and provide a link this time. :)

The only thing that I will venture a guess on is that the ITF and WADA will handle this quickly, which is why I suspect that Wayne will not be at Roland Garros this year (as mentioned in my previous post).

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't know, I'm too lazy to look, and I'm not going to speculate.

The only thing that I will venture a guess on is that the ITF and WADA will handle this quickly, which is why I suspect that Wayne will not be at Roland Garros this year (as mentioned in my previous post).

Ok, thanks. I've read different things about it, will look it up myself.
I agree, ITF/WADA can't let this case off the hook, so much is obvious.

TennisFan008
03-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Weed is not a banned substance OOC.

Yes. Possesion of HGH -> Bant

Fee
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Weed is not a banned substance OOC.

A few years ago, an American player was suspended for marijuana use. Let me see if I can find his name. Don't think he ever really did much when he came back... (what does OOC mean?)

Ryan Newport, 2005... http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=16069

CCNM
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh no!!!! that's really sad.:cry: I hope it doesn't completely ruin his career....

TheMusicLover
03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
A few years ago, an American player was suspended for marijuana use. Let me see if I can find his name. Don't think he ever really did much when he came back... (what does OOC mean?)

Ryan Newport, 2005... http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=16069

OOC= Out Of Contest.

Well this doesn't mean good news for Odesnik. I think it would be justified if he indeed gets penalized for this demonstration of utmost stupidity.

Fee
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
OOC= Out Of Contest.

Well this doesn't mean good news for Odesnik. I think it would be justified if he indeed gets penalized for this demonstration of utmost stupidity.

Thank you. That one escaped me. :)

He's going to get punished for sure. He's 24, he might be able to 'bounce back' from it, in some way, but considering that he only got as high as 77 and he's struggled to pay his way for years, I think it would be very hard for him to come back from a two year ban. He's not allowed wild cards, so he would have to go to futures and challengers with weak qualy draws, etc, etc. That's a long road.

Anyway, Matt Cronin has posted this article on tennis.com now. This is somewhat lazy journalism on Matt's part, in my opinion, but hey, it gets hits on the website...

http://tennis.com/ticker/index.aspx

Fellow player 'not surprised' by Odesnik HGH bust
March 26, 2010 By Matthew Cronin

An ATP player has told TENNIS.com that he is not shocked by revelations that Wayne Odesnik was in possession of human growth hormone (HGH) when he arrived in Australia in January for the Brisbane tournament.

Odesnik pleaded guilty Friday to importing HGH into Australia. The left-hander, who reached a career high No. 77 last spring, was fined more than $7,000 and could be banned from tennis for two years for possessing the hormone, which is prohibited by the anti-doping program. Odesnik pleaded guilty in a Brisbane court after customs officials found eight vials, each containing six milligrams of the performance-enhancing substance, in his baggage.

“I’m not surprised about Wayne,” the player, who wished to remain anonymous, told TENNIS.com. “We all had suspicions about three to four years ago. His upper body got huge at one point and his legs stayed skinny. He had zits all over his back. But it’s never worth all that risk.”

Odesnik is perhaps best known for reaching the third round of the 2008 French Open, where he pulled off the biggest victory of his career by defeating No. 29 seed Guillermo Canas 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3), 7-6 (8 ). Ironically, Canas is now coaching Odesnik. After the win, Odesnik expressed a love for clay and added that he was pleased to have improved his endurance and footwork.

This year, Odesnik has reached the quarterfinals of Brisbane International and the second round of the Australian Open, but has only won one match in four tournaments since then. It is unknown whether he was tested during the Australian Open.

“This is an active case and the ITF, on behalf of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme, doesn't comment on the particulars until and unless a doping offense has been determined," the ITF told TENNIS.com in a statement.

Odesnik’s fellow player was a bit surprised that he’s yet to fail a test. “What does that say about WADA?,” he asked. “He’s carrying this stuff all the way to Australia, so what makes you think he hasn’t been using this for weeks, months or years? If he has been tested, how hasn’t this stuff been discovered?”

Casey10s
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
A European soccer player was tested and they detected HGH. He has been suspended for a year maybe two.

From everything I have read, HGH is used pretty heavily in most sports. What that means in percentage of users, I don't know. Could be as high as 50% in some sports.

If the testing becomes readily available, it will be interesting to see how it affect all sports including tennis. I think in tennis you will see the players cutting back on their training since they will not be able to recover quickly. You will also see players cutting back on their schedules since they won't be recovering quickly from injuries such as muscle issues. Players won't recover well after long matches. The players will not be as cut in their body make-up since they will be cutting back in their training such as lifting.

Look at what happens in the last half of this year and next year. One should be able to get a idea how rampant HGH is or was. After baseball got serious on steroids, many players showed up in spring training noticeably smaller. I think you will see tennis players missing more time due to injuries, reduction of schedule, and not looking like superman on the court with the super physiques and endless energy.

TennisFan008
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
There really isn't any evidence of HGH being a great PED. It probably helps, but it's not like steroids.

It's only banned in-competition (within 3 days of a tournament).

The first athlete to get busted for HGH was a rugby player btw, not a soccer player.

onehandbh
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
There really isn't any evidence of HGH being a great PED. It probably helps, but it's not like steroids.

Just take a look at Sly Stallone...

NamRanger
03-26-2010, 09:35 PM

It's only banned in-competition (within 3 days of a tournament).

The first athlete to get busted for HGH was a rugby player btw, not a soccer player.

Don't... make... me... laugh.

And people say tennis is a "clean" sport.

Li Ching Yuen
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Roddick's thoughts on the subject:

Q. Sorry to be a rally killer, but I wanted to hear your comments and thoughts on Wayne Odesnik.
ANDY RODDICK: If he pled guilty, which it looks like he did, there's nothing worse than that. I'm normally the one to give people the benefit of the doubt.
If that's the case, what we read today, that's just plain cheating and they should throw him out of tennis. There's just no room for it. I don't I was shocked. I was surprised. You know, we don't need stories like that. You know, I know that's the minority.
If that's the case, I have zero sympathy.

Q. Your feelings are just as strong even though it was a possession and not a positive test?
ANDY RODDICK: If you have a possession, you know you're not supposed to have it. You're not supposed to be anywhere near it. You're not supposed to know about it. You're not supposed to smuggle it into a country.
If you have I mean, if you caught your sons or daughters and they possessed some type of drug, they're guilty of probably using, as well, correct?
You know, I don't see the difference. If you have it and it's not enough to you either have it to sell it or you have it to take it. So either way, it's not the play. It's no good.

Q. How well did you know him?
ANDY RODDICK: I know Wayne a little bit. I mean, I wouldn't say we're friends. He used to train in Austin sometimes. You know, I don't think we ever really did much together.
But it's just normally when this has happened in tennis it's been someone that is like I don't really know at all. To have it be one of our guys and for us to lose a guy in the top 100, it makes me a little angry, you know.
I don't you know, I don't want that stigma attached to our country and to our players, so it really ****es me off.

Q. That's the thing, the average person sees this in the paper tomorrow and they think...
ANDY RODDICK: That's what makes me angry. We have the most in your articles that you will write, I hope that they're at least researched to the point where we have the most stringent drug testing policies in sports.
We're up there with the Olympics. We can't take Sudafed because something will come up. We have to be accountable for where we are I have to send in my forms next week to tell people where I'm gonna be for the next month every single day.
If my wife and I want to drive for a day trip somewhere, I have to call in and say, We're going here, here, and here and provide an address.
So I hope with the articles that they will at least acknowledge that. The ATP and the powers that be in tennis have done every single thing possible, you know, with the exception of assigning a person to follow each person around 24 hours a day and sleep with the person, to mitigate these problems, you know.

Q. So you do not think there is a problem in the sport?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't see how there can be. I mean, unless everybody's packing vials of stuff in their bags and smuggling it into countries, which I don't God, I have a hard time believing that, you know.
You know, I think HGH is the one in every sport where I hope they come up with a test and I hope they start just slamming guys. I hope when they do come up with a test for it they don't tell anybody and they just implement it and start picking people off.

Q. There actually is a test, Andy, but it's not used in tennis.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, the sooner the better. I think they should use it everywhere. You know, I just hope that I wouldn't be surprised if there is a test out there that we're gonna be the first to come fly with it. I hope we do. I hope this will move it. There's no room for it. We don't need it. We don't need that stigma.
I take a lot of pride in what we have to do on a daily basis and how responsible we have to be for, one lack of a better word for one jackass to ruin it for the rest of us.

Marius_Hancu
03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Out with him to have time to kiss Puerta *****.

raging
03-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Roddick's thoughts on the subject:

Q. Sorry to be a rally killer, but I wanted to hear your comments and thoughts on Wayne Odesnik.
ANDY RODDICK: If he pled guilty, which it looks like he did, there's nothing worse than that. I'm normally the one to give people the benefit of the doubt.
If that's the case, what we read today, that's just plain cheating and they should throw him out of tennis. There's just no room for it. I don't I was shocked. I was surprised. You know, we don't need stories like that. You know, I know that's the minority.
If that's the case, I have zero sympathy.

Q. Your feelings are just as strong even though it was a possession and not a positive test?
ANDY RODDICK: If you have a possession, you know you're not supposed to have it. You're not supposed to be anywhere near it. You're not supposed to know about it. You're not supposed to smuggle it into a country.
If you have I mean, if you caught your sons or daughters and they possessed some type of drug, they're guilty of probably using, as well, correct?
You know, I don't see the difference. If you have it and it's not enough to you either have it to sell it or you have it to take it. So either way, it's not the play. It's no good.

Q. How well did you know him?
ANDY RODDICK: I know Wayne a little bit. I mean, I wouldn't say we're friends. He used to train in Austin sometimes. You know, I don't think we ever really did much together.
But it's just normally when this has happened in tennis it's been someone that is like I don't really know at all. To have it be one of our guys and for us to lose a guy in the top 100, it makes me a little angry, you know.
I don't you know, I don't want that stigma attached to our country and to our players, so it really ****es me off.

Q. That's the thing, the average person sees this in the paper tomorrow and they think...
ANDY RODDICK: That's what makes me angry. We have the most in your articles that you will write, I hope that they're at least researched to the point where we have the most stringent drug testing policies in sports.
We're up there with the Olympics. We can't take Sudafed because something will come up. We have to be accountable for where we are I have to send in my forms next week to tell people where I'm gonna be for the next month every single day.
If my wife and I want to drive for a day trip somewhere, I have to call in and say, We're going here, here, and here and provide an address.
So I hope with the articles that they will at least acknowledge that. The ATP and the powers that be in tennis have done every single thing possible, you know, with the exception of assigning a person to follow each person around 24 hours a day and sleep with the person, to mitigate these problems, you know.

Q. So you do not think there is a problem in the sport?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't see how there can be. I mean, unless everybody's packing vials of stuff in their bags and smuggling it into countries, which I don't God, I have a hard time believing that, you know.
You know, I think HGH is the one in every sport where I hope they come up with a test and I hope they start just slamming guys. I hope when they do come up with a test for it they don't tell anybody and they just implement it and start picking people off.

Q. There actually is a test, Andy, but it's not used in tennis.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, the sooner the better. I think they should use it everywhere. You know, I just hope that I wouldn't be surprised if there is a test out there that we're gonna be the first to come fly with it. I hope we do. I hope this will move it. There's no room for it. We don't need it. We don't need that stigma.
I take a lot of pride in what we have to do on a daily basis and how responsible we have to be for, one lack of a better word for one jackass to ruin it for the rest of us.

This interview sums it up for I think a majority of the players...they are angry at all the controls and have to accept them...then another guy goes and does something dumb and they are all implicated. And it will be brutal.
It is the law of the jungle in there and out on the courts.
Andy opening up is not surprising, he was always very frank. As he says "losing one of our guys"- he has already said goodbye! Brutal..succinct and ...to the point.
I was not implicating Willy Canas but he and Wayne have known each other for years...the locker-room knows that. It happened before with him and that was what I was alluding to..the clean guys know and keep their distance..anyone charged and worse...found guilty, even those exonerated nobody remembers-just the rumour of drugs...ask Canas, Puerta, Coria, Korda...it is never the same.
Andy knows the controls will get tougher and his comments are spot on...zero tolerance, he knows the game just got tougher but the best natural athlete will come through. There will be a closing of ranks on this -
now the anger starts...

reversef
03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Yeah, many players must be angry. Since that Odesnik is not a member of the top 50, he's not tested as much as those players. And that is what he does. Not even smart enough to travel with it.

swedechris
03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=ap-odesnik-hgh

BRISBANE, Australia (AP)—An Australian court has fined American tennis player Wayne Odesnik for importing human growth hormone into the country.

The 24-year-old Odesnik, ranked No. 98 in the world, was stopped by customs officers as he arrived in Australia in January ahead of the Brisbane International and Australian Open. Eight vials, each containing 6 milligrams of HGH, were found among his baggage.

Odesnik, 24, pleaded guilty in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday to importing the hormone and was fined $7,280 plus $1,040 in court costs.

The matter is now expected to be referred to the International Tennis Federation and Odesnik faces a possible two-year ban for possession of a prohibited substance.

Odesnik reached the quarterfinals at Brisbane before and the second round of the Australian Open.

Our sports are filled with doping .. Too much money to be earned makes people corrupt basically.

TennisFan008
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Don't... make... me... laugh.

And people say tennis is a "clean" sport.

Which statement do you find laughable? The lack of evidence of HGH being a great PED or the superiority of steroids? Kindly answer this question and then prove me wrong. I've read several studies displaying the major benefits of AAS and EPO/blood doping, but can't say the same about HGH.

Marius_Hancu
03-28-2010, 05:05 AM
Read up:

---
While it is possible that there are some advantages, such as an increase in lean body mass, it is also evident that benefits are being exaggerated by some for commercial gain and ineffective products are being sold to unsuspecting consumers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGH_controversies
---

This belief (fake or not) may be enough to determine legions of stupid athletes to use it.

Tennis_Crazed
03-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Wow this is pretty shocking. Not defending him...but I could see why someone like him trying to get over that last hurdle to be in the very elite could be pressured into it.

Fee
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Tennis Channel showed his 2008 Houston Semifinal this morning as a Classic Match. I wonder if that was previously planned or someone made the switch last Friday.

Moose Malloy
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
here are some details from court documents that were just released:

When Odesnik's misplaced bags were located at the Brisbane airport two days later, customs officers found eight vials of human growth hormone and other medical paraphernalia in a routine search. They interviewed the 24-year-old American tennis player at his hotel room on Jan. 5, and charged him with importing HGH on Jan 6.

Odesnik did not appear in person for a March 11 hearing -- he was in Indian Wells, Calif., where the following day he lost in the first round of the BNP Paribas Open. He instructed defense lawyer James Godbolt to enter a guilty plea on his behalf. Odesnik's conviction was recorded by Magistrate Graham C. Lee on March 25 and announced by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service the next day.

According to the file:

• Among Odesnik's belongings was a box containing seven vials of six milligrams apiece of Serostim, a brand name for Somatropin, a form of biosynthetic human growth hormone. The label had been torn off the box. An eighth vial was found in a Styrofoam box in a separate plastic bag, which also held 10 syringes and several small bottles of Bacteriostatic water (sterile water containing a small amount of benzyl alcohol) which is used to dilute drugs for injection. "The defendant confirmed that the HGH was in his bag when he checked it in," said Chris Zeilinga, the attorney representing the Australian government.

• When interviewed by the customs officers, Odesnik repeatedly said he had a doctor's prescription for HGH to aid his recovery from a potentially "career-threatening injury." He later admitted through his lawyer that he had ordered the HGH from the Internet and did not provide the name of a consulting doctor or a description of the injury. Zeilinga noted that Odesnik competed in both the Brisbane International and the Australian Open tournaments that month and appeared to be "in a fit condition to play." (Odesnik played in 26 tournaments from January to November 2009 and does not appear to have taken significant time off.)

• Odesnik told the officers that he didn't intend to use HGH until he had "approval." However, there is no indication that he had taken any steps to fill out required paperwork for that purpose.

• WADA, the ITF, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and Tennis Australia were all notified of the allegations against Odesnik within days after he was charged. There are several references to the fact that the ITF was waiting for the court case to be concluded before initiating proceedings against Odesnik.

• The ITF's anti-doping regulations were introduced as an exhibit in the case, and the two lawyers made opposing arguments about whether the prospect of sanctions from the ITF should be a factor in Odesnik's sentencing. Zeilinga urged the magistrate not to take that into account, calling the ITF's process completely independent. Godbolt asked for leniency, noting the financial impact of Odesnik's potential two-year suspension from tennis.

• In the course of discussing how much to fine Odesnik, Godbolt invoked the example of actor Sylvester Stallone, who tried to bring 48 vials of HGH (as well as testosterone) into the country in 2007 and was assessed $2,800 plus $7,640 in court costs. Odesnik ultimately was fined $7,453 (the maximum is $20,500) and ordered to pay $1,065 in court costs.

HGH, banned under the World Anti-Doping Agency's code, also cannot be brought into Australia for personal use or used there without a prescription. It was one of a number of performance-enhancing drugs added to a list of prohibited imports by Australian customs officials in 1999 and 2000 as part of the government's "Tough on Drugs in Sport" policy leading up to the Sydney Olympics.

Odesnik played at the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships last week in Houston, where he reached the semifinals. Officials from the International Tennis Federation and the ATP acknowledged they were investigating Odesnik but said they could not prevent him from competing in the meantime. He faces sanctions including a two-year suspension from tennis authorities.

Excerpts from Magistrate Graham C. Lee's ruling in the Odesnik case:

"Mr. Odesnik is an elite athlete who should have been well aware of the sensitivities in having possession of the vials without first obtaining appropriate approvals. When speaking with customs officers, Mr. Odesnik in my view tried to cover up his possession of these vials on the basis that he had a career-ending injury and that a doctor had prescribed the vials of Serostim to him ... this turned out to be incorrect. While he subsequently offered information through his lawyers that he bought them off the Internet, in my view that is a token level of cooperation only… I found Mr. Odesnik's explanation for his possession of the vials to be unsatisfactory to say the least.

"It is clear that Mr. Odesnik initially did not cooperate fully with customs officers by telling them that he had a prescription for the vials when he didn't.

"Given that Mr. Odesnik is a professional international tennis player who ought to have known better and for reasons previously outlined, my view is that personal deterrence is an important factor in this case ... While he may well be banned from playing for at least one year under the (ITF's anti-doping program), personal deterrence remains important in the event he returns to the international tennis circuit.

"General deterrence is an important factor in sentencing Mr. Odesnik, who is an elite athlete coming into this country in possession of a prohibited substance, Serostim ... He must have been aware of this. If not, given his professional status as an international tennis player, he should have been aware of it. In my view, this is a case that calls for strong general deterrence so that other elite athletes who are considering similar activities will think twice before doing so.

"The issue of anti-doping violation rules is part and parcel of his job as a professional tennis player."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=5087155

raiden031
04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Wayne Odesnik is a disgrace to the sport.

NamRanger
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Which statement do you find laughable? The lack of evidence of HGH being a great PED or the superiority of steroids? Kindly answer this question and then prove me wrong. I've read several studies displaying the major benefits of AAS and EPO/blood doping, but can't say the same about HGH.

HGH can benefit you in the recovery period of injuries or as a way to recover and rebuild muscles faster. Either way, it's a performance advantage, one that gives you a significant one at that. EPO/Blood Doping, etc. may give more benefits to a tennis player, but don't think for a second that increased muscle strength / increased muscle recovery would not grant a tennis player substantial advantages.

TennisFan008
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
HGH can benefit you in the recovery period of injuries or as a way to recover and rebuild muscles faster. Either way, it's a performance advantage, one that gives you a significant one at that. EPO/Blood Doping, etc. may give more benefits to a tennis player, but don't think for a second that increased muscle strength / increased muscle recovery would not grant a tennis player substantial advantages.

Well, yeah it would, it's just that researchers have failed to show that HGH actually has this effect. Personally, I think it probably does aid recovery to some extent, but there's currently no scientific evidence of this as far as I know.

TheLoneWolf
04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, yeah it would, it's just that researchers have failed to show that HGH actually has this effect. Personally, I think it probably does aid recovery to some extent, but there's currently no scientific evidence of this as far as I know.
One thing that it does is have pretty bad side effects like change in facial structure and swollen belly. (I'm sure about the swollen belly but not the facial structure change anyway.)