PDA

View Full Version : AG100 users: which stringjob?

dadozen
03-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Hey guys,

Just bought a pair of AG100s. Might get another pair as well.

So I'm already wondering which stringjob to use on them. I'm currently using PLII @ 50/53, as my sig says, and it plays great. Never thought that 3rd gen co-polys could play that good @ low tensions.

Well, I don't want to use such a thin poly on the AG100s. So I thought about WeissCannon Scorpion 1.22mm @ the same tension, or maybe a tad higher.

I'm currently playtesting WC TurboTwist, and it plays good, but didn't shine on me, to be honest. The feedback was a little weird.

Could you share your current setups and the ones you liked the most? Not willing to try Lux, since I'm afraid of liking it so much and going bankrupt:lol:

thanks in advance.

pvaudio
03-26-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm stringing Weiss Cannon silverstring 1.20 in two of my AG100s, MSV Hex 1.10 in 2 of them and Signum Pro hextreme in the fifth. The silverstring is overall the best string setup that I've found, all strung at 60lbs.

All full sets as well, due to me finding that after crossing with sheep micro, I lost the entire feel of the main string. I'm going this weekend to try regular SPPP, Polystar Turbo and Kirschbaum Spiky Shark and compare it to what I've got right now.

I should say that I am a big server, but timid at the net, so pretty much I rely on my serve to set up points for me, but don't usually approach the net unless I serve out wide.

On serves, silverstring is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else I've ever used. I've got a reel of TurboTwist on its way over from England as we speak, so once it arrives, I'll update with that.

pvaudio
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
If you can't tell, I have a predisposition to spin strings since I used to have a full western forehand grip and like to generate that same amount of spin with a semi-western but with the extra pace granted with the flatter grip. I also tend to put a bit of topspin on my first serve for security, and when you're using a textured string and are serving at high speeds, its heaviness is something to reckon (not me specifically; I'm talking in general).

dadozen
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks man!

Actually, I'm playtesting Turbo Twist and Scorpion on two of my 4D300Tours, and I also have 2 sets of Silverstring to test.

I'm not a fan of textured strings. Tried MSV Focus Hex 1.10 and 1.18, didn't like them at all. Also didn't like SPPP, although it's not a textured string.

Turbo Twist is playing fine, but it also didn't shine on me. It still didn't give me a fair good reason to change my current setup( PLII 1.15 ).

Nice to know that you're liking Silverstring. It can also be a good choice for the AG100s, since I don't want to use such a thin string like the PLII 1.15 on a 16x19 racquet.

Also, did you try low 50s tensions on your AG100 with poly?

hoodjem
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey guys,

Just bought a pair of AG100s. Might get another pair as well.

So I'm already wondering which stringjob to use on them. I'm currently using PLII @ 50/53, as my sig says, and it plays great. Never thought that 3rd gen co-polys could play that good @ low tensions.

Well, I don't want to use such a thin poly on the AG100s. So I thought about WeissCannon Scorpion 1.22mm @ the same tension, or maybe a tad higher.

I'm currently playtesting WC TurboTwist, and it plays good, but didn't shine on me, to be honest. The feedback was a little weird.

Could you share your current setups and the ones you liked the most? Not willing to try Lux, since I'm afraid of liking it so much and going bankrupt:lol:

thanks in advance.I tried Kirsch Pro Line II 1.15 in a hyrbid, and it was really good.

CF 1.20 was also excellent, as was MSV Hex 1.10.

IMO, the thinner the better as this racquet gives HUGE feedback.

The Dampener
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
IMO, the thinner the better as this racquet gives HUGE feedback.

I know this is a bit counter to everyone else's tastes, but I just had a rewarding experience with a full bed of Micro Sheep 18. More pop. Mucho spin. And it lasted longer than my Maxim Touch 16.

High Roller
06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I know this is a bit counter to everyone else's tastes, but I just had a rewarding experience with a full bed of Micro Sheep 18. More pop. Mucho spin. And it lasted longer than my Maxim Touch 16.

I cannot comment on the AG100, but OGSM 18 is a really pleasant surprise. I started using this on my smaller, vintage racquets -- Rossi F250, PK Black Ace 90, etc. It gives up nothing to the pricier 18g strings I had previously used. Good stuff and dirt cheap on a reel.

ShiroRm
06-22-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm using Pacific Poly force 17g at 24/23 kg.
I like the balance between power and control a lot and I don't get any pain from using it.

I tried weisscannon silverstring 1.20 at 25/24kg, some months ago and I didn't like it: many balls went long and my arm hurt on the second day of use.
However, I bought it again in 1,25 gauge and I'm going to try it at lower tensions.

The Dampener
06-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I've also had decent experiences with a full bed of Multifeel 17 and an Alpha Gut 2000 17/18 hybrid.

jimmy2times
06-24-2010, 05:02 PM
My first ag100 had a lux hybrid in it when I bought it used. It was my first experience with that string and it was AWESOME! Yeah...Don't try it for fear of falling in love! Right now I have technifibre polyspin 16L in the mains and global gut 16 in the crosses and it's fantastic. I think a thinner gauge gut would be a bit better, but gut is gut and in this stick, it's a really good way to do the poly/gut hybrid at an affordable price