PDA

View Full Version : Federer feels obligated to perform well for fans

dh003i
03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
From this interview (http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2010-03-26/h.php), he was talking about how he always has a crowd watching him even during practice:

I'm lucky enough to always be playing on center court, and also the practice I get a lot of encouragement. It's nice they're there, you know. But I definitely feel the pressure sometimes that they're watching me, many of them probably for the first time in their lives, so it's a big moment for them.

That reminds me of something Michael Jordan said one time, that he always wanted to play the best he could on any given night, because there would be someone or multiple people there watching, and that would be the only time they and their kids ever saw him play live.

christos_liaskos
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Definitely makes sense. I am lucky enough that I have seen him 8 times. The first time was when he lost in the Athens olympics to Berdych. That day he DID underperform and lucky for HIM :D I gave him plenty of chances to make it up to me :D.

As far as watching him live goes... I've seen him in matches where he wins easy and also in battles. While on tv you may be able to appreciate how good he is when he blows an opponent away, when watching him live it just looks so easy that the occasion isn't necessarily memorable. I saw him beat Berdych at Wimbledon and that match comes under that category. I dont remember one point or shot from that match. I suppose he just won so easy that day that there wasn't much memorable about it.

I also saw him lose to Rafa in the 2008 Wimby final which obviously I will never forget, but he cant take all the credit for that match being great of course. But I also saw him beat Hewitt at the USO last year in 4 sets, and since that was a tough match there are points that I remember from it clearly. At one stage he hit a serve and Hewitt returned it deep and hard into Fed's f/h side. Fed was really stretching to reach it yet from an open stance he somehow managed to stretch, almost doing the splits, and hit a hard top spin forehand flick down the line. I was just stunned at the amount of power he got on that shot from such a defensive position - this is one of the many reasons that has helped him dominate for so long.

I also saw lose to Davydenko at the WTF at the end of last year. Again a match where he was really pushed and couldnt just role his oppenent. I was sat 7 rows from the front and was lucky enough to be in the corner of the court from where he hit a smash from the baseline of off Davydenko's own smash from the net, and subsequently winning Fed the point.

gsharma
03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Definitely makes sense. I am lucky enough that I have seen him 8 times. The first time was when he lost in the Athens olympics to Berdych. That day he DID underperform and lucky for HIM :D I gave him plenty of chances to make it up to me :D.

As far as watching him live goes... I've seen him in matches where he wins easy and also in battles. While on tv you may be able to appreciate how good he is when he blows an opponent away, when watching him live it just looks so easy that the occasion isn't necessarily memorable. I saw him beat Berdych at Wimbledon and that match comes under that category. I dont remember one point or shot from that match. I suppose he just won so easy that day that there wasn't much memorable about it.

I also saw him lose to Rafa in the 2008 Wimby final which obviously I will never forget, but he cant take all the credit for that match being great of course. But I also saw him beat Hewitt at the USO last year in 4 sets, and since that was a tough match there are points that I remember from it clearly. At one stage he hit a serve and Hewitt returned it deep and hard into Fed's f/h side. Fed was really stretching to reach it yet from an open stance he somehow managed to stretch, almost doing the splits, and hit a hard top spin forehand flick down the line. I was just stunned at the amount of power he got on that shot from such a defensive position - this is one of the many reasons that has helped him dominate for so long.

I also saw lose to Davydenko at the WTF at the end of last year. Again a match where he was really pushed and couldnt just role his oppenent. I was sat 7 rows from the front and was lucky enough to be in the corner of the court from where he hit a smash from the baseline of off Davydenko's own smash from the net, and subsequently winning Fed the point.

How the hell did you manage to see him live so many times? I'm jealous! I was the US Open match against Hewitt, I thought it was a sloppy match, considering Fed's standards.

christos_liaskos
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
How the hell did you manage to see him live so many times? I'm jealous! I was the US Open match against Hewitt, I thought it was a sloppy match, considering Fed's standards.

well yes he was off in the first set I believe, making a lot of UE's? But it was still a better match to really appreciate his skills, especially once he got going and they had some good rallies.

Just luck I suppose that I have seen him so much....well kind of anyway. When I went to both the French and USO I went for 2 consecutive days, mid tournament, that way you are guaranteed to see the top guys, AKA Fed. I did the same thing when I went to the Paris Masters in 08, and I think probably at the Olympics too. Wimbledon, well I was lucky to get final's tickets in 08, and ofcourse you're guaranteed to see him if you have one of those tickets :D. The other time at Wimby and the WTF was just luck.

At the olympics there weren't many people watching and he was on the second show court so you could just sit anywhere. Of course I chose the front row. I was also on the front row for the Wimby final, sort of. I was in an old commentary booth, the one that Rafa walked across to get to the royal box after the match. Those tickets were given to me by a charity because I have Cystic Fibrosis. They do special days out for young people with terminal illness's so I asked for Wimbledon final tickets. I actually applied the year before but they couldnt sort it out for me but I said i didnt mind waiting another year and didnt want to change what I asked for. I was glad I didnt :D

JoshDragon
03-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Watching him play, in real life is awesome but getting to hit with him would be 20,000 times better.:)

roundiesee
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm lucky too; I've seen Federer "live" 4 times; first was the year Pete won his last slam (I think it was 2001) at the US Open. Roger was on an outside court playing Myrni; he was beaten handily by Max but nonetheless I enjoyed watching him play. Even then he already showed so much promise as a young player. The next one was in Thailand where he eventually won the tournament in the final against Murray. I think it was Andy's first ever ATP final if I'm not wrong, and he was clearly overawed by Federer. Then it was in Shanghai against the other Andy (Roddick) where Roddick had match points but couldn't convert and eventually lost to Roger in the third set. The last was the Pete V Roger Exhibition in KL; Roger won that in 2 breakers. I have to say each time was a treat and he always appears to try his best to please the audience. Watching him "live" is quite a different experience than watching him on the telly because his fluid strokes and fantastic shot making seemed so effortless and natural in person.

Changmaster
03-26-2010, 06:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKDUbSj-8VM

From the Hewitt-Fed US open 2009 match, I'm assuming you're describing the pt at 7:15 :)

I've seen Fed practice live at the US Open, and it really is a treat. One of the cool things about watching him live is you can see better the ridiculous spin he can put on the ball.

christos_liaskos
03-27-2010, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKDUbSj-8VM

From the Hewitt-Fed US open 2009 match, I'm assuming you're describing the pt at 7:15 :)

I've seen Fed practice live at the US Open, and it really is a treat. One of the cool things about watching him live is you can see better the ridiculous spin he can put on the ball.

Yes that's the point! Great find!

JeMar
03-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Reminds me of what Joe DiMaggio said when asked a similar question.