PDA

View Full Version : Prince Graphite II

1540tennis
03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
In the short time I have been on these boards it seems like there is A LOT of love for the Original Prince Graphite, but no real mention of the Graphite II...

I loved this racquet and used the Mid Plus for many years... Why no love for the GII? :confused:

jimbo333
03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
In the short time I have been on these boards it seems like there is A LOT of love for the Original Prince Graphite, but no real mention of the Graphite II...

I loved this racquet and used the Mid Plus for many years... Why no love for the GII? :confused:

Don't know anything about these, what's the difference?

Let's see some photos:)

no1
03-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Graphite II was not 100% graphite, IIRC it was 20% fiberglass, had a thicker beam, and a bit more power....I think the crossbar was curved too.

In terms of looks, it was all green, with some black accents...

Graphite II was great, but it was just not really around for that long, thus nobody really knows about it as much....

Don't Let It Bounce
03-26-2010, 05:26 PM
The Graphite II I'm thinking of–which does get love; just not POG-love–is metallic green with (I think) gold accents, stiffer and thicker-beamed than a POG. I think Rafter used it before he used the Precision Response.

However, no1's post rings a faint bell and may have been the first use of the name. Was that one a short-lived precursor to the Grpahite Comp?

no1
03-27-2010, 03:30 AM
I actually ahve one in my closet... I'll pull it out sometime this weekend and take some pictures...

maxply
03-27-2010, 04:45 AM
I used the Graphite II oversize in 1992 , still have it , it was 100% graphite the main difference from the POG was it had a 22mm areo shaped beam as compared to the 19mm box beam.

jayserinos99
03-27-2010, 05:18 AM
IIRC, the Graphite II had a midplus with 14x18 pattern and an oversize with 16x19 pattern. It had an aero beam (21mm or 22mm, not sure anymore) and I'm not sure what the composition was. My earliest memory of it was that growing up, a 4.5 player in my area was using one (OS) and I got to hit with and was immediately impressed with the amount of spin I was getting. The closest thing I could find was a Graphite Comp 110 that was at the discount sporting goods store. It seemed the same, just minus the crossbar. Strung with some 15L Nylon. Still had a ton of spin. I gave that frame to a friend.

jayserinos99
03-27-2010, 05:19 AM
I actually ahve one in my closet... I'll pull it out sometime this weekend and take some pictures...

Which one do you have?

g4driver
03-27-2010, 03:27 PM
I played with the Prince Graphite II midsize from 1992 to 1997. The racquet was very stiff if I remember correctly. I good friend of mine wanted them after I switched to a Wilson 6.2 Hammer (Skunk), so I sold both to him.

He still has both of them, and still loves them, but doesn't play that often as he just graduated from Med School and has a newborn baby now. I can ask him to send me some photos.

1540tennis
03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Glad to see it has some love here! I have one left from my glory days, and I don't think I can ever part with it...

The closest thing I have found to it now is the Pure Drive Gt and maybe the Aero Pro drive Gt... Except for the head size of course... They feel about the same stiffness...

As a stringer I miss the 14x18 pattern but I remember breaking strings all the time!

DustinW
03-28-2010, 06:01 PM
I used it high school around 92-94 and loved it. I sold mine just a few years ago and wish I didn't. :( Maybe I'll try to find another one.

no1
03-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Which one do you have?

The Mid Plus of course : )

film1
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
I like those frames, still have a couple. They were ahead of their time.

mad dog1
05-14-2010, 12:47 PM
i just hit w/ a graphite II o/s and liked it. compared to the POG, it's more powerful & spin friendly. the one drawback is that it doesn't have as much feel as the POG. i wouldn't mind playing w/ it as my primary stick if i had to limit myself to 1 racquet.

AndrewD
05-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I think Rafter used it before he used the Precision Response.

Yes, it was Rafter's racquet when he started to make a splash on tour.

I hit with it for a season and absolutely hated it. There just wasn't anything about the performance that, in my opinion, elevated it above other Prince racquets or, for that matter, any other racquets of the day. Lacked the feel, control, spin and performance of the original.

pingu
05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow, these are very old. I still have two of them in OS. At one point, I tried to replace them with my Radical bumble bee but they didn't seem to perform well for me so I just kept them in the basement. They do look nice though :)

mad dog1
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I hit with it for a season and absolutely hated it. There just wasn't anything about the performance that, in my opinion, elevated it above other Prince racquets or, for that matter, any other racquets of the day. Lacked the feel, control, spin and performance of the original.

i agree...i also still prefer the POG over the graphite II, but i didn't hate it. i was able to get a ton of spin on my forehand w/o trying, but it didn't have the same amount of feel as the POG. was also able to generate a lot of pace even when i was only swinging at 70%.

i tried hitting w/ it again tonight. groundies are fine, but i practiced some serves. it's way too stiff for my old shoulder. now i'm paying the price for my indiscretion...

GS
05-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I tried going from the POG to the Graphite II years ago (thought its metallic green paintjob was the coolest thing ever), but it never felt right. Probably because of its thick beam and the fact it was 20% fiberglass.
A friend of mine won alot of 5.0 tournaments with that stick, though.

1540tennis
05-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow, these are very old. I still have two of them in OS. At one point, I tried to replace them with my Radical bumble bee but they didn't seem to perform well for me so I just kept them in the basement. They do look nice though :)

Thats funny! I tried to switch to the Radical Bumblebee from the GII, but the MP!

Tar Heel Tennis
05-18-2010, 07:43 PM
pics of my Prince Graphite II:

http://img269.imageshack.us/i/dsc08215x.jpg/

http://img180.imageshack.us/i/dsc08216.jpg/