PDA

View Full Version : PT630 - string/tension tips for power & spin

Ross K
03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
PT630 string connoisseurs!

Thinking I might give it another go re new string/tension... (like I do around this time every year with the PT!):)

TBH I don't think I've ever played a racket that just swings so sweetly, has such a rich, lush feel, and that Ferrari-going-through-the-gears way of excelerating into the ball and producing such pleasing sniper bullets from off the b-line!... However...

I don't deny I can find the frame a tad demanding. Serve pop and spin in general is where I normally become disgruntled. Despite really being able to blast it on groundies (well, certainly fh), I've never had the same experience on serve. And I could really do with greater spin also. But none-the-less, it is still probably my all-time favorite and I simply love playing with it (be that only now and then, or more frequently.)

So... string/tension tips for power & spin?... give me your best recommendations!

BTW, More recent string jobs have been Head Fibregel @ 52/50... Duraflex @ 57... neither of which felt great or produced the desired extra pop/spin really... and also note: I've experienced some hassle getting suitable 18g strings in the UK.

Cheers everyone!

R.

kiteboard
03-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Global gut main, at 56lbs, and bbo cross, 50lbs first five crosses down from top, and then, the rest at 54lbs. Lead it up to 360g, at 3, 9 and 12.

jayserinos99
03-27-2010, 01:13 AM
I like natural gut in my PT630s more so than poly. My mojo setup still is pretty good and another of my PT630s has a full 16L Toughgut job in it; both I'm sure are in the mid-high 40s by now but they still play well. If I were to go back full time to them I'd stick with a thin natural gut at around 52-54 lbs.

Ross K
03-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks guys ^... Jay, always a pleasure...

Oh... and if ppl could also mention the gauge they recommend too that would be great.

Cheers,

R.

BTW, humour me here fellas... a very soft yet powerful poly like Polystar Energy in the PT630?... er, would that not work?

jayserinos99
03-27-2010, 01:57 AM
^ I tried Polystar Energy in a PJ MW200G that felt more like a PC600 (Philippousis frame). I remember it having decent pop but it wasn't uncontrollable. I think it'd be worth a shot, for me I'd string it at the same tension as I mentioned above 52-54 lbs. For my preferences, I don't like the PT630 at too high of a tension, nor do I like polys at too high of a tension either so for me something that's lower to middle range is what I'd think is suitable.

JT_2eighty
03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I posted a lengthy response of my favorite 3 string setups in the PT280 club thread. I will give you the digest version:

Power & spin: Gut. Personally I like VS mains and ToughGut crosses. You can buy both as half sets so I like that because it's less handling of gut for me, so less chance to kink, etc. (if you buy the VS/syn hybrids... but then you have babolat syn gut you have to pawn off on your friends...). I've used 52 lbs and 58 lbs. You just have to find your comfort zone.

Spin & control: My sig. Felt ripping spin, and decent power too. Off-center hits can be a bit jarring, but finding the sweetspot is gravy. I've played a few solid 4.5 s&v players with this setup, and I was topspinning my returns to their feet on call. You have to really try hard to hit the balls long with the kevlar, and in the low 40s, is quite comfy (gut crosses help add some pop and comfort to the kevlar [using gamma 19 tnt kevlar, and again, pawning off the multi it comes with to friends...])

Control, touch, & comfort: Head RIP Intellitour, with the RIP feel in mains, RIP tour in cross. Plays softer than gut, decent power, but the control is amazing. Not the best for spin, but I like this one for doubles because I can place volleys effortlessly with these. I can keep my unforced errors in single digits most times I break out this one, but it does lack some power and spin potential compared to the rest. Strung at 52 lbs, and the control is still spot on. No other multi performs like the RIP strings, poly-like control with gut-like comfort.

Definitely try the kevlar/gut in this stick, it's lots of fun. Otherwise, I've also had great success with gut mains, poly cross, strung high 40s, you can get some serious spin action from that, but control comes in 4th compared to the above.

BOZO
03-28-2010, 01:30 AM
X1 17 or maxim touch 17 or head RIP Control at 62++ .... I've tried Prince syn gut for 3-4 sets, fail with finding the right tension.

Ross K
03-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Everyone,

X1 17g or Maxim Touch 17 (as recommended by BOZO ^)... hmmm... I could maybe go for that... what do others think?... good pop and some spin?... 62+ tension?...

kiteboard,

Global gut main, at 56lbs, and bbo cross, 50lbs first five crosses down from top, and then, the rest at 54lbs. Lead it up to 360g, at 3, 9 and 12.

Just noticed the lead tape part... Wow, yes, kind of regardless of string, I'd imagine that would add some oomph! TBH I've never gone down the lead tape path as I don't think I'd like the extra weight and I think it's pretty damn sweet how it swings stock... but... hmm... maybe I should experiment with just a small amount @ 12 solely to try and add a smidge more juice on serve~?

R.

MarrratSafin
03-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Everyone,

X1 17g or Maxim Touch 17 (as recommended by BOZO ^)... hmmm... I could maybe go for that... what do others think?... good pop and some spin?... 62+ tension?...

R.

X1 is the way to go. Excellent crisp multi and certainly my favourite, I really enjoy this stuff. I love Maxim Touch in the crosses with Poly mains as it is a nice multi and at a great price too. X1 mains and Maxim Touch crosses could be real good and more cost friendly.:) I don't have a PT630, but have its cousin the Zebra Radical Tour and 58 feels real good for a 18g synthetic. with X1 17g you might want to go up to 60lbs. And you can email me too if you still need info regarding 18g strings in UK, Ross.:)

Ross K
03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
X1 is the way to go. Excellent crisp multi and certainly my favourite, I really enjoy this stuff. I love Maxim Touch in the crosses with Poly mains as it is a nice multi and at a great price too. X1 mains and Maxim Touch crosses could be real good and more cost friendly.:) I don't have a PT630, but have its cousin the Zebra Radical Tour and 58 feels real good for a 18g synthetic. with X1 17g you might want to go up to 60lbs. And you can email me too if you still need info regarding 18g strings in UK, Ross.:)

Cheers Marrat... may get back to you re 18g strings for PT...

marosmith
03-28-2010, 05:11 PM
You need to get some gut on it.

JT_2eighty
03-28-2010, 05:24 PM
You need to get some gut on it.

Yep. If at least half gut, it's golden in this frame. Worth the money because they'll still last long enough with the dense pattern. Even global or unifibre will surpass the best multi's and play well til it snaps.

kiteboard
03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Yep. If at least half gut, it's golden in this frame. Worth the money because they'll still last long enough with the dense pattern. Even global or unifibre will surpass the best multi's and play well til it snaps.

Listen to this guy. Soft stick, dense pattern, means you can't break it, and it maintains tension better/longer than any other string, saving time/money/hassle.

film1
03-28-2010, 10:17 PM
When you string half with gut what are you putting in your crosses?

Ross K
03-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Listen to this guy. Soft stick, dense pattern, means you can't break it, and it maintains tension better/longer than any other string, saving time/money/hassle.

I'm listening. I'm listening!...

So... full gut job (no. 1 choice of the connoisseurs!)... decent multi, synth gut... X1 Bi-Phase... NRG2... even Poly. Energy maybe?... a lot of advice here (and I've also searched older threads too)... decisions, decisions!

BTW I also take note of PT_630_ who has said" "Never string it higher than 55 lbs" and "X1 Bi @ 50 lbs is breathtaking"...

As long as there's that added pop and a bit more spin, I'll be happy.:)

R.

JT_2eighty
03-29-2010, 07:37 AM
When you string half with gut what are you putting in your crosses?

Currently, my setup of choice is kevlar main, gut cross: 45lbs. But also had success with gut main, and poly crosses: 52lbs. Also also had success with full gut: 58lbs.

For me, I've been using this stick since I was about 14, and I'm 29 now. I still have the exact same stick that I used at 14, so I could probably put anything from fishing line to guitar strings in it and I'd probably be happy :mrgreen:

When I started playing tennis, I used gamma synthetic for about 10 years or so, and when I finally ventured into natural gut it was one of those "where have you been all my life" moments.

Ross K
03-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Anyone like/dislike/have an opinion on SPPP in the PT630?... MSV Hex (1.10)?... Black Code (1.18)?

Thanks,

R.

Shangri La
03-31-2010, 02:46 PM
a soft 18g co-poly .........

..... strung at 30lbs!