PDA

View Full Version : string shelf life

monkeyisland90
03-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Do tennis strings have a shelf life? I've purchased some cheap strings on **** (reel for 30 bucks gamma advantage).. and i realized after playing with it that string quality is a factor... googled this string and not much information showed up but someone posted this string on this forum and was 2006... So i'm wondering if this string is that old then what are shelf life of strings usually..?

It seemed like fresh new strings when opening it.. but looks can be deceiving.

I'm wondering if i should buy any tennis strings off **** now cause who knows how long or environment they have been in..

ManuGinobili
03-27-2010, 07:33 AM
As long as you keep them stored in some place that is not of extreme temperature and condition (aka humid), strings should be okay. Gut are the most sensitive, and polys are the easiest to store

jim e
03-27-2010, 11:19 AM
With synthetic strings as long as it is out of direct sun light, and very extremes of temperatures there should ber no problems. I have some reels of string that are 40 years old, and are still playable. Time is not a problem.

steve rounds
03-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Gamma Advantage is not a real expensive or high end string to begin with. What kind of issues are you having with its quality? Playability, breaking, tension loss, looks like crap, etc... Just would like a little more info.

I have bought a lot of strings off of XXXX and have had good luck with most of them but I have this advice. First of all always compare prices to a tennis retailer like tennis warehouse. A lot of times the prices are cheaper buying them from a retailor. You can buy a reel of Gamma Advantage for $24.99 all day long-you said you paid $30.00 off of xxxx. Also I agree with the other posts that as long as it has been taken care of it has a long shelf life, however Beware of Natural Gut in the Plastic transparent cellophane package. Never buy this stuff from anyone other than the mannufactorer or a direct dealer. Over time air can get through the plastic and will make the gut brittle and imposible to string. You can still buy gut from xxxx but make sure it is in the factory sealed metal foil wrap.

monkeyisland90
03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Gamma Advantage is not a real expensive or high end string to begin with. What kind of issues are you having with its quality? Playability, breaking, tension loss, looks like crap, etc... Just would like a little more info.

I have bought a lot of strings off of XXXX and have had good luck with most of them but I have this advice. First of all always compare prices to a tennis retailer like tennis warehouse. A lot of times the prices are cheaper buying them from a retailor. You can buy a reel of Gamma Advantage for $24.99 all day long-you said you paid $30.00 off of xxxx. Also I agree with the other posts that as long as it has been taken care of it has a long shelf life, however Beware of Natural Gut in the Plastic transparent cellophane package. Never buy this stuff from anyone other than the mannufactorer or a direct dealer. Over time air can get through the plastic and will make the gut brittle and imposible to string. You can still buy gut from xxxx but make sure it is in the factory sealed metal foil wrap.

You're right about the crap part... String is 15L gauge and loses it's "pop" after couple hours of play.. Will be good for players just looking to have fun and rally and save money on strings but that's about all

Tennis_Crazed
03-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Do tennis strings have a shelf life? I've purchased some cheap strings on **** (reel for 30 bucks gamma advantage).. and i realized after playing with it that string quality is a factor... googled this string and not much information showed up but someone posted this string on this forum and was 2006... So i'm wondering if this string is that old then what are shelf life of strings usually..?

It seemed like fresh new strings when opening it.. but looks can be deceiving.

I'm wondering if i should buy any tennis strings off **** now cause who knows how long or environment they have been in..

Haven't tried this string before. Someone told me that synthetic strings are good for a year or so. Polys for two years. My friend may have been just making it up, but this is what i was told. I'm sure someone else here can confirm