PDA

View Full Version : String cost eating up my wallet!

monkeyisland90
03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
So I play about 3-5 times a week and sometimes even 6 or 7 times a week... And I probally break strings every two matches. So strings is costing a lot just for a week worth...
Anyone play a lot and use practice racquets with somewhat dead strings on it and occasionally bring out fresh racquet with performance strings to conserve?

I'm guessing College and pro players get sponsored or get there school paying for the strings so shouldn't worry too much..

I wonder if i should be using the string money to buy some other stuff but I can't seem to stop playing :)

armsty
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
What string are you using? It's a big factor as it could be a cheap syn gut which I imagine the majority of the forum would snap fast like you.

innoVAShaun
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Before, when I just kept reels of Syn Gut:

As soon as I started to notice that I was breaking strings a lot, I first thought maybe if I had more racquets (12 to be exact), it would help. I used to keep 5 strung at all times. I'd pop 3 in two weeks. By the time I got to the 4th one, the strings felt dead after a few strokes.

So I decided to invest in a stringer. I now keep 3 strung and use poly on my mains. I'm now restringing maybe 2x a month. Prices of supplies and stringjobs add up. A stringer would be a wise choice.

monkeyisland90
03-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Well, i've been using various types of strings some cheap sythetics.. some multifilament synthetics, poly.. but usually will be in 14.95 price range strings... Just wish strings would last longer... not only the price.. but just hassle that it breaks and have the " awe man " feeling.. but i guess just should play less.

but 12 racquets.. that's a lot of sticks.. whats average people carry.. i have 5 but 3 are same while two are different

armsty
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
I carry 3 to a match (3 sets worth) and 2 to training. If you're breaking full poly, try Kevlar.

Pwned
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Maybe try a MSV hybrid with something like Gosen or a full bed of MSV. Cheap, fairly durable, and great playability.

kimbahpnam
03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
try full poly. i'm going to try a full poly after just breaking syn/poly hybrid on a second day's hit.

armsty
03-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Syn main poly cross will snap faster than syn/syn.

mikro112
03-27-2010, 03:02 AM
So I play about 3-5 times a week and sometimes even 6 or 7 times a week... And I probally break strings every two matches. So strings is costing a lot just for a week worth...
Anyone play a lot and use practice racquets with somewhat dead strings on it and occasionally bring out fresh racquet with performance strings to conserve?

I'm guessing College and pro players get sponsored or get there school paying for the strings so shouldn't worry too much..

I wonder if i should be using the string money to buy some other stuff but I can't seem to stop playing :)

I play my racquets until the strings break. I would never cut down a string, so yes I also use racquets with strings that aren't really fresh anymore! And I always use full poly strings.

dadozen
03-27-2010, 05:48 AM
From your post, I assume you're getting strings in sets. Getting them in reels is much cheaper as well.

raiden031
03-27-2010, 05:51 AM
You don't need to spend $15 for one pair of stings. I spend about $3-4 for strings buying reels of cheaper poly and synthetic gut. Poly in the mains lasts significantly longer than synthetic gut.

bwaid88
03-27-2010, 07:17 AM
you should buy a stringing machine, it would pay for itself in no time. let say you average playing 4 times per week and average 2 broken sets of string per week at 14.95 a set. that comes out to $1,554.80 per year in string costs! i would say a safe be would be that if you had you own stringer as i do, you could find a type of string you liked for around $5 a set. thats a savings of 9.95 per racquet which adds up to $1,034.80 per year. and that my friend is more than enough to buy a great quality machine. just my thoughts :)

kiteboard
03-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Switch to a more flexible racquet. Use Ashaway kevlar 16g.

fruitytennis1
03-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Geezus how the heck do people break string? Full pht 17g lasted me 2 months until it was a little too dead for my likin

Delano
03-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Sounds like you should be doing your own stringing.

I got a klippermate (mine was a hand me down, but you can buy one new for well under $200) and a reel of Gosen sheep, which will string around 17 rackets for $40.

A klippermate wouldn't be a good stringer for someone who does a lot of rackets, but if since I only string for myself (maybe once a week), it does the trick.

If you don't like pure synthetic gut, you can save by getting a reel of multi or poly, though they are a bit more expensive. For Poly, I'd suggest you try signum pro poly plasma, about $100 a reel on TW. You're still barely above $5 a string job.

Delano
03-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Geezus how the heck do people break string? Full pht 17g lasted me 2 months until it was a little too dead for my likin

By hitting with topspin. It's not really about how hard you hit or how good you are - I know good 4.5 players who essentially never break a string because they hit flat. Topspin, in particular, causes a lot of string movement, causing the strings to saw into each other and break.

Seriously, the amount of spin can be the difference between strings lasting a few hours and lasting months.

cesarmo03
03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
maybe you need to buy some other strings and lower the tension.