PDA

View Full Version : pros using cheaper strings?

monkeyisland90
03-26-2010, 11:52 PM
So i look at TW atp section and some of the players don't use natural gut which is most expensive and use like 15.00 strings (like nadal) so I guess it's just players preference and cost of string doesn't equality to quality etc..?

how often do pros break strings also? im guess during a match since they hit so hard..

dekko1
03-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Exactly, they use what feels best for them.
As for breaking strings, they usually don't break strings. They change racquets often so that they don't break strings during the point.

mtr1
03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Nadal uses cheap strings because that is what he has always used. His Uncle made sure he didn't get hung up on perfect equipment.

dantheman
03-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Nadal uses cheap strings because that is what he has always used. His Uncle made sure he didn't get hung up on perfect equipment.

i thought it was because nadals been using duralast since he was 9

fruitytennis1
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Dude its player preferance....they really dont care if they drop 2 or 50$ on a set of strings.. atleast for top players

pyrokid
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
i thought it was because nadals been using duralast since he was 9

How does your opinion contradict his? You both seem to be saying essentially the same thing.

brownbearfalling
03-28-2010, 04:41 AM
So i look at TW atp section and some of the players don't use natural gut which is most expensive and use like 15.00 strings (like nadal) so I guess it's just players preference and cost of string doesn't equality to quality etc..?

how often do pros break strings also? im guess during a match since they hit so hard..

Use the search function and look up why Luxilon and other polys are prefered over natural gut.

Also watch a Federer Grand slam match for your second question. Even though they don't break string, they still change their racquets often because of tension loss. Federer changes very often. Roddick's coach is trying to get him to change more often. I saw him bounce his racquet on the ground, pretty hard, and continued to play with it. I assume that as strong as he is and as mad as he was, his racquet must have broken even though it might be slightly.

LPShanet
03-31-2010, 11:46 AM

This actually relates to the strings' playing qualities and not their price. Price is determined by two main factors: cost of raw materials, and marketing strategy/positioning. Gut is the most expensive not because it is the "best", but because it is the most expensive to make. A pro's string choice is based on two totally different factors: the string's playing properties, and their sponsorship. Price isn't an issue either way for them.

The reason pros have now mostly switched away from full natural gut string jobs (although the majority used natural gut until the last decade) is that they are using poly strings that allow them to swing harder at the ball without as much trampoline effect. In a nutshell, they use the strings they do because they are among the deadest available, while gut is measurably the least dead. Dead strings allow them to use higher racquet head speeds and apply more spin while still hitting as hard as they can. So they get more "ball drop" with poly than the other available options.

While pros used to break strings quite frequently (how frequently depended on which pro we are talking about), they break them much less frequently now. It is much more rare to see a pro break a string during a match than it used to be. This is also because of the switch from gut to poly or poly hybrids. Poly does break, but it is typically notably more durable than gut, and it tends to go dead before it breaks, so many pros are cutting out string jobs before they go dead, and before they break. They are restringing much more often than they did in the past, and many are also changing to a new string job whenever there is a ball change.