PDA

View Full Version : The "I Love Replacing Grommets" International Association

skyzoo
03-27-2010, 07:50 AM
If you're a personal stringer or if you just sit around all day getting racquet's strung for you and you absolutely LOVE putting in new grommets join this association. If I could wake up every morning with five racquet's needing new grommets, my life would be infinite amounts better. Some have compared replacing grommets to having the Intestinal Flu or even Lupus but I compare it to a breath of fresh air and having a winning lottery ticket. Nothing beats it and I want to hear of your experience with my love/obsession that is replacing grommets. My method:

1. Place the throat in with my hands. (relatively easy and my least favorite part for that reason)

2. Put both side grommets in. (Some pain for a few of them and the awl is used for a few which tickles my fancy)

3. Finally putting in the bumper guard, almost. (After much pain, cursing, stabbing my own fingers multiple times and shedding a few tears I am almost in complete nirvana.)

4. Placing the racquet on the stringer to get the end bumper grommets in. (Even more fun when the grommets pop out of the racquet when stringing... Good thing I love taking this much time to string my racquet which is usually a 30 minute job.)

5. Purposely breaking the grommets on my other racquet's so I can replace more.

Your Love experience is needed

Members:

*Skyzoo
*Purple-n-Gold

GS
03-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I love BUYING grommet sets while I can, before my favorite racquets (and their grommets) are discontinued. Then I know I can keep my sticks in top shape for years. (Well, before their graphite goes soft....)

mikeler
03-27-2010, 09:40 AM
I better stop using head tape so I can join this club.

Cfidave
03-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah, they are lovely little devils. Can't decide which I would rather do replace head guard grommets or have multiple root canals. At least when I do the grommets I know they are done right.

jim e
03-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, they are lovely little devils. Can't decide which I would rather do replace head guard grommets or have multiple root canals. At least when I do the grommets I know they are done right.

Well, when I do root canals they are done right as well.Needless to say, I can replace grommet sets much faster.
Replacing grommets is not all that bad, its just getting the proper ones when the manuf. discontinues them so fast. There should be a compatability cross reference chart to allow grommet sets from avail. grommets that fit the discontinued ones. In the past posters here posted grommet compatability sets for racquets where TW told me that they were no longer avail. so some posters here knows more than the good folks at TW!

Kick Serve 14
03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Please tell me this is sarcasm, because putting on grommets is one of the most cumbersome things I can think of doing...

skyzoo
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Please tell me this is sarcasm, because putting on grommets is one of the most cumbersome things I can think of doing...

Extremely Sarcastic....

skyzoo
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM

I can do both very incorrectly. BBM me if you're interested.

purple-n-gold
03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, yes and the cap grommets are the MOST fun.

no1
03-29-2010, 12:07 AM
I think my record is 20 minutes for a full replacement.... I once fought one for 2 hours....