PDA

View Full Version : Underhand serve

Andy G
03-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I saw a clip on of an underhand serve. I think it was Hingis and at the French Open, or on clay anyway. Anyone have any clips of an underhand serve? Seems like a good way to get a quick (and unexpected) point. Its legal right? I thought she caught a bunch of crap for doing it. Is it considered unsportsmanlike? Or an unwritten rule that, even though legal, you just don't do it?

Gaab
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I was wondering about that kind of serves recently. Why do pros always go full blast on serve? Since they can alternate between dropshots and rockets during the play, why should they not do the same while serving?

</noob questions>

Valdez737
03-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I the drop serve shd be part of the game.

Travis Fong
03-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I was wondering about that kind of serves recently. Why do pros always go full blast on serve? Since they can alternate between dropshots and rockets during the play, why should they not do the same while serving?

</noob questions>

That is a noob question. But if you don't watch a lot of live tennis you wouldn't know.

Every once in a while you'll see guys like roddick blasting out 140mph serves right. But occasionnally they'll go "Hey I have an idea, I'm gonna spin this ball to hell" and then they'll hit a kick serve that is only going 90 mph for a first serve but bounces up like 9 feet high.

I remember Federer hit one of those back in '07? The thing bounced right over some guys racquet. (the racquet was stretched like an overhead)

Look into changeup serves. They throw off peoples timing.

himynameisNIKE
03-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I the drop serve shd be part of the game.

I the drop serve shd be part of the game as well

kishnabe
03-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Chang and Lendl Round 4 French open 1989 is the pure best...for dropshot serves!

Gaab
03-27-2010, 12:18 PM
That is a noob question. But if you don't watch a lot of live tennis you wouldn't know.

Every once in a while you'll see guys like roddick blasting out 140mph serves right. But occasionnally they'll go "Hey I have an idea, I'm gonna spin this ball to hell" and then they'll hit a kick serve that is only going 90 mph for a first serve but bounces up like 9 feet high.

I remember Federer hit one of those back in '07? The thing bounced right over some guys racquet. (the racquet was stretched like an overhead)

Sure, I watch somme tennis online and know that pros don't always hit flat and fast serves. I should have chosen my words more carefully. Still, as the op asks, why shdnt drop serve be part of the game as wel?

Travis Fong
03-28-2010, 03:32 AM
The drop shot serve would be something you'd pull out once a set, and could backfire. Badly. Why not just go for your serves like a normal person, they all have winning percentages on their service games. Thats why their pros. People dont get to top 100 because their ridiculously good at breaking people (Although that would be REALLY COOL) they get there because if everyone outside the top 100 cant break them, they just need a couple points in the right places to win a match.

Or they have insane ground games

brad1730
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
The pro's have large ego's and want respect in the locker room. They want to be known as the guy with the hammer serve. A drop serve isn't going to get you a lot of respect - and that probably counts more than a single point in a match.

aldeayeah
03-28-2010, 05:09 AM
When I see Nadal returning several feet behind the baseline, I think about this.

But it just doesn't work unless you do it perfect, or the opponent is paralyzed by surprise.

Pidgeon
03-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Ladies and gentlemen,

may i present; Michael Chang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2-jsRJRJE

aldeayeah
03-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Yeah, and Lendl almost put it away anyway.

dincuss
03-28-2010, 05:52 AM
ACE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2in_RvdDPs

aldeayeah
03-28-2010, 06:22 AM
LOL! OK, excellent example.

samprasvsfederer123
03-28-2010, 06:28 AM
i hate michael chang worst excuse for a champ, should not be in hall of fame, how come he gets applause and true champ hingis get insults.

samprasvsfederer123
03-28-2010, 06:30 AM
now is it illegal to do on match points?

there are so many matches where people fail to convert their match points by failing in rallies and yada yada yada, why dont they just hit an underhand serve

Pidgeon
03-28-2010, 07:13 AM
perfectly legal... but it's easy to put away for pro's
unless they're way way behind the baseline (fe on karlovic's serve)

Gorecki
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
lendl's one vs Jmac is the best i have seen... the way he walks out of the court like he is going to the grocery... hilarious!

flyinghippos101
03-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Chang and Lendl Round 4 French open 1989 is the pure best...for dropshot serves!

Pretty sure it was the finals

Gorecki
03-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Pretty sure it was the finals

dude... chang beat edberg in the finals that year....

get them right... the facts!

OddJack
03-28-2010, 08:50 AM

OP is talking about drop serves, if you watch lots of tennis you should know what he's talking about.

bjorn23
03-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Peter Bodo thinks it would be a huge weapon. The best one i've seen was by lendl against mcenroe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYHBFkDAbs

Underhand
03-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I like underhand serve.

flyinghippos101
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
dude... chang beat edberg in the finals that year....

get them right... the facts!

Poop, my bad. It was the 4th round.

Rippy
03-28-2010, 11:55 PM
OP is talking about drop serves, if you watch lots of tennis you should know what he's talking about.

I think he does know what he's talking about. The person he quoted said a dropserve should be used more often to catch people by surprise, but then the person you quoted said that's what changeup serves are for.

Andres
03-29-2010, 12:01 AM
i hate michael chang worst excuse for a champ, should not be in hall of fame, how come he gets applause and true champ hingis get insults.
Because he was heavily cramping.

Tennis_Crazed
03-29-2010, 02:45 AM

AGREED! Amazing!

Narcissist
03-29-2010, 03:22 AM
It's totally legal but she got ***** for it from Navratilova and co because she did it on match point in a final