PDA

View Full Version : Murray is damaged goods at the moment

batz
03-27-2010, 12:06 PM
It pains me to say it, but it's a fact.

EDIT - apologies - wrong forum.

ronalditop
03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Why are you always posting spoilers here?

Gugafan
03-27-2010, 12:10 PM
He's looking abit vulnerable after the AO defeat. He has worked very hard to improve aspects of his game, and it must be quite dejecting being the only player in the top 5 not to win a slam. I still have high hopes for him at Wimbledon/US Open.

The Edberg
03-27-2010, 12:11 PM
The number 2 and 3 in the world, both going out to players they should routine. They are both turning into the very definition of overrated

Blinkism
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM
No worries, batz.

It's all about the slams for Murray now..

He's clearly preparing for the French Open.

:lol:

swissmiss
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
What's funny is that for all this talk of the group of young guns challenging Federer (and Nadal), nothing's really happened yet. There was a good opportunity after the AO for someone like Djoker or Murray to make an assault on the number one spot in the rankings, and instead, self-destruction.

Murray does look very dejected on the court these days.

batz
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
No worries, batz.

Well, he's got plenty of time now!:)

I wonder if he'll ask for a MC wildcard now. He'll drop to 5 if he doesn't play there.

swissmiss
03-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder if he'll ask for a MC wildcard now. He'll drop to 5 if he doesn't play there.

And that won't help him with the rest of the clay season. I'm sure he'd rather enter RG with a top-4 seeding, although that might be difficult regardless of whether he plays MC or not, depending on when JMDP comes back and how he does.

On the other hand, if he's playing badly, maybe he'd rather get in some practices than go to potentially get spanked on clay. He doesn't need to lose any more confidence.

namelessone
03-27-2010, 12:43 PM
This just goes to show that besides Fedal,we have no guys with champion mentality. I mean Federer struggles for about a year with mono and Nadal.
Nadal has been struggling with injuries and coming back to the tour with his game and mentality back and regardless of results,you see both guys trying(though I always get the feeling that Fed does not give his all in masters),you rarely see them bow out in such a undignified way. Both of these guys will fight. Sure,they don't have their old consistency(both came back after health issues,fed losing to baggy,rafa to ljubicic,in matches they both controlled),but you would rarely see them lose to these kind of opponents. I remember Nadal was struggling heavily against top30 guys last year on HC but he would not give up.

Since the year started Novak and Murray have lost to people like tomic(exo),robredo(hopman cup),tipsarevic(dubai),youzhny(rotterdam),fish and rochus(Miami). Now no one expects them to tear it up a la federer but both of them will be turning 23 this year and they are looking flatter than a 28 year old and a 24 year old with a lot of injuries in his past.

Feņa14
03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I think losing that Australian Open final really took the wind out of his sails. You saw how much it meant to him when he let his emotions out at the ceremony and I think he's still not over it.

He's going to have to do whatever he can to put it all behind him as quickly as possible.

The Edberg
03-27-2010, 01:07 PM
This just goes to show that besides Fedal,we have no guys with champion mentality. I mean Federer struggles for about a year with mono and Nadal.
Nadal has been struggling with injuries and coming back to the tour with his game and mentality back and regardless of results,you see both guys trying(though I always get the feeling that Fed does not give his all in masters),you rarely see them bow out in such a undignified way. Both of these guys will fight. Sure,they don't have their old consistency(both came back after health issues,fed losing to baggy,rafa to ljubicic,in matches they both controlled),but you would rarely see them lose to these kind of opponents. I remember Nadal was struggling heavily against top30 guys last year on HC but he would not give up.

Since the year started Novak and Murray have lost to people like tomic(exo),robredo(hopman cup),tipsarevic(dubai),youzhny(rotterdam),fish and rochus(Miami). Now no one expects them to tear it up a la federer but both of them will be turning 23 this year and they are looking flatter than a 28 year old and a 24 year old with a lot of injuries in his past.

I guess thats a big reason why Nadal and Fed have dominated for the better part of 5 years now. Even with Nadal far from top form for the last year or so, and Roger clearly not focused on week in week out tennis, only focused on the slam count and putting that out of reach.. There still is no one else around to truly step away from the field. Which is a shame for them because the door is as open as it could ever be for someone to slip in there.. Murray and Djoker playing **** poorly, Del Potro injured and with a good chance of getting number 3 without having to really do anything to get it... its very odd. Im not so sure about this era of guys anymore. Who outside of Fedal is going to actually step up and take over?

Even with all the opportunity in the world, Players fail to capitalize these days

Atherton2003
03-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Murray might be back to #4 now.

tintin
03-27-2010, 01:21 PM
he's got to quit bashing the 16 slam winner :lol:

reversef
03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I think losing that Australian Open final really took the wind out of his sails. You saw how much it meant to him when he let his emotions out at the ceremony and I think he's still not over it.

He's going to have to do whatever he can to put it all behind him as quickly as possible.

Yes, I was sure that he would win the tournament from day 1. But the first sign of weakness came in the SF (nerves, I guess) and he completely choked the final. It's hard to stomach. I'm sure that DP's win at the USO added a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

reversef
03-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I guess thats a big reason why Nadal and Fed have dominated for the better part of 5 years now. Even with Nadal far from top form for the last year or so, and Roger clearly not focused on week in week out tennis, only focused on the slam count and putting that out of reach.. There still is no one else around to truly step away from the field. Which is a shame for them because the door is as open as it could ever be for someone to slip in there.. Murray and Djoker playing **** poorly, Del Potro injured and with a good chance of getting number 3 without having to really do anything to get it... its very odd. Im not so sure about this era of guys anymore. Who outside of Fedal is going to actually step up and take over?

Even with all the opportunity in the world, Players fail to capitalize these days

I don't say that you are wrong, but I would suggest you to look back to older players. In the recent years, we have witnessed absolute domination: a number one (Federer) completely dominant except on the number two (Nadal) and a change of roles for one year. It's not always like that. Guys like Djokovic and Murray don't have to be judged to those standards. Most players couldn't handle it.

Atherton2003
03-27-2010, 01:44 PM
What is that large brown circle on the back of Murray's calf?

batz
03-27-2010, 01:49 PM

A birthmark.

Atherton2003
03-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh, I was wondering what it was. thank you.

rovex
03-27-2010, 01:51 PM

I too always wondered what it was.

Gugafan
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I too always wondered what it was.

Ever heard of a birth mark??

Mustard
03-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Some people are going on about Nadal's form, but at least he gets to at least the quarter finals of tournaments, with the exception of the 2009 French Open. Murray's form since he reached the Australian Open final, and his withdrawals from tournaments for that matter, have been poor. If Murray and Djokovic carry on like this, Nadal could move back up the rankings soon.

Talker
03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Murray's going to be alright, he's still licking his wounds from the AO, a very bitter defeat when your best wasn't enough.
Eventually he'll just move on and play well again.

SempreSami
03-27-2010, 02:37 PM
He's probably got an account on here and has taken to heart everything the experts have said.

Talker
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
He's probably got an account on here and has taken to heart everything the experts have said.

That's probably why his game dropped off. :)

Ripster
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I wish Djokovic and Murray would get their acts together because they're playing at about 50% of their level.

DownTheLine
03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Fish should be hiking up the rankings. He is 101 in the world how much does he have to defend at Miami? He had a good little tournament at Indian Well just a week ago. I think...

Mustard
03-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Fish should be hiking up the rankings. He is 101 in the world how much does he have to defend at Miami? He had a good little tournament at Indian Well just a week ago. I think...

Mardy Fish lost in the Round of 64 at Miami last year, losing to Nicolas Massu. Massu then lost to Murray in the Round of 32 and Murray went on to win the title.

Atherton2003
03-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Mardy Fish has legs that look like a woman's. I always think he's wearing women's panty hose. He appears to be wearing no socks. I don't know how he doesn't get blisters on his feet.

Bhagi Katbamna
03-27-2010, 04:16 PM
He wears those womens' socks. Both my teenage boys get ****ed when I call those "women" socks because that is the type they wear.

Atherton2003
03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
peds? I think that is what they are.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Nice return :roll:

decades
03-27-2010, 04:26 PM
no "damaged goods" implies that there is something physically wrong with Andy. that is not the case. Which makes it all the more wonderful when he loses. There aren't any excuses. Even when people try to come up with them. Like here.

Sartorius
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Murray, today after the match: "...mentally the last few weeks I've been really poor and it's unacceptable."

That's pretty much what one needs to know about Murray at the moment. Safe to assume that he just couldn't shake off the defeat in AO.

rossi46
03-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Yes, I was sure that he would win the tournament from day 1. But the first sign of weakness came in the SF (nerves, I guess) and he completely choked the final. It's hard to stomach. I'm sure that DP's win at the USO added a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Murray choked in the final of the AO ?? Somehow I don't think so, it's more like he got completely outclassed and taught a tennis lesson.

bluetrain4
03-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm not ready to give up on him, but he does seem just a little off and lost.

Who knows what it is that's bothering him. Just a little bit of loss of confidence can do a lot of damage, and it also emboldens a player's opponents, so the opponents have more confidence that they can win.

Maybe he's been hearing all the talk about how he can be too passive. Sometimes he just doesn't seem like he knows what to do. And, he get's so frustrated by other players taking control of a point and actually executing and hitting a winner. But, that's tennis. Yeah, Andy, you can frustrate a lot of players into errors and win, but you'll eventually run into a hot player, or a player who is simply "on" on the right points, and you'll get beat.

I don't know where he goes from here. You'd think the clay season might help him, since his game style seems good for clay. But, he's not as good of a mover on clay, his serve is less of a weapon, and there's a whole population of players who become a factor (or at least more of a factor) during clay season.

This is hardly the end of Andy Murray, but it's certainly not nothing. He really has work to do.

tsongaali
03-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Ever heard of a birth mark??

No, that's actually the beginning signs of cancer:lol:

Blinkism
03-27-2010, 06:13 PM

The mark of the Pusher, ofcourse.

Ocean Drive
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Mardy Fish has legs that look like a woman's. I always think he's wearing women's panty hose. He appears to be wearing no socks. I don't know how he doesn't get blisters on his feet.

Never heard of ankle socks?

http://media.rei.com/media/v/1298689.jpg

batz
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
no "damaged goods" implies that there is something physically wrong with Andy. that is not the case. Which makes it all the more wonderful when he loses. There aren't any excuses. Even when people try to come up with them. Like here.

You clearly don't understand the term 'damaged goods. I am referring to his mental state; not his physical state.

And who is seeking to excuse Murray? Not me, not him, not anyone. To be clear- he was was pish and got what was coming to him.

blinky - 'mark of the pusher' :) LOL nice one

Kam2010
03-28-2010, 01:16 AM
He is just short of confidence, once he starts winning some games in succession building up his confidence im sure he will do well.

P_Agony
03-28-2010, 02:13 AM
No worries, batz.

You are an evil dude ;-)

P_Agony
03-28-2010, 02:29 AM

That's what I've been saying all along. Just before IW I said Murray and Djokovic can be #2 and #3, but ultimately they will not hang in there for long because they are not consistnet champions like Fed and Nadal. Does it feel like Djokovic is #2? I'm sure even the biggest Djoko fan will agree he doesn't deserve that spot atm, and he'll probably lose it soon. Murray still has the AO final excuse for his poor performence, but Djoko is not tired nor injured, he's just playing badly for whatever reason. He's one mentally weak player IMO.

This is still Nadal and Federer's show, and they run the biz. Last year I thought maybe Delpo could somehow enter the magic circle, but he's gone as well. Then Davy showed signs, but lost to Fed at the AO and is injured.

TheTruth
03-28-2010, 02:42 AM

Agree. He's going to have short memory. It's over, it he allows it to be.

TheTruth
03-28-2010, 02:43 AM

Very true, and very sad.

TheTruth
03-28-2010, 02:46 AM
I'm not ready to give up on him, but he does seem just a little off and lost.

Who knows what it is that's bothering him. Just a little bit of loss of confidence can do a lot of damage, and it also emboldens a player's opponents, so the opponents have more confidence that they can win.

Maybe he's been hearing all the talk about how he can be too passive. Sometimes he just doesn't seem like he knows what to do. And, he get's so frustrated by other players taking control of a point and actually executing and hitting a winner. But, that's tennis. Yeah, Andy, you can frustrate a lot of players into errors and win, but you'll eventually run into a hot player, or a player who is simply "on" on the right points, and you'll get beat.

I don't know where he goes from here. You'd think the clay season might help him, since his game style seems good for clay. But, he's not as good of a mover on clay, his serve is less of a weapon, and there's a whole population of players who become a factor (or at least more of a factor) during clay season.

This is hardly the end of Andy Murray, but it's certainly not nothing. He really has work to do.

Great post!

Paul Murphy
03-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Agree that Murray is suffering from an AO hangover, his head isn't right.

Rhino
03-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Why are you always posting spoilers here?

What exactly did this spoil?

batz
03-28-2010, 04:28 AM
What exactly did this spoil?

I think he was intending to watch a recording of Murray v Fish with 'bated breath.