PDA

View Full Version : Hamburg: No WC for Ferrero

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2005, 03:14 PM
The committee decided in favor of the German players mentioned here, even if a request from JCF lay before them:
--------------
Hamburg - Die deutschen Tennisprofis Philipp Petzschner (ATP-Ranking 306), Philipp Kohlschreiber (73), Lars Burgsmüller (91) und Alexander Waske (143) haben die Wild Cards für das Hauptfeld des Masters Series Hamburg 2005 presented by E.ON Hanse erhalten.Event in der Hansestadt.

"Wir haben uns bei der Wild Card-Vergabe bewusst für deutsche Spieler entschieden, obwohl unter anderem auch eine Anfrage von Juan Carlos Ferrero aus Spanien vorlag", erklärte Turnierdirektor Walter Knapper der die Vergabe in Abstimmung mit Davis Cup-Kapitän Patrik Kühnen und DTB-Sportdirektor Klaus Eberhard vornahm.
-------------

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2005, 03:18 PM
Have no idea if JCF will play Qualies, couldn't yet find the Q draw at the site. I'd say not.

Grinder
05-06-2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.************.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678

According to this site Juan Carlos is not on the alternate list, but is the first seed for qualifying and Gasquet is number two. It seems that there are an amazing amount of withdrawals.

TwistServe
05-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I like it that way!.. Why do the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer.. If Ferrero is out of the rankings and can't make master series direct acceptance, he will need to go back to the qualifiers. Let the other rising stars get their chance!

"the mosquito"
05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
JCF needs to have this WC. He does deserve it, don't you think? He's been playing pretty well on this comeback season of his. I hope he still gets the chance soon to prove how good he is.

Kevin Patrick
05-06-2005, 04:03 PM
What was it Safin said about Ferrero last year? Something like "nobody cares about him outside of Spain." Judging by the way Rome & Hamburg are treating him, he may be right.

It's a pretty good field for the qualies: Ferrero, Gasquet, Mathieu, Ginepri, Mantilla, Puerta.
Here's the draw:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/posting/2005/414/QS.pdf

scoot
05-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Nobody deserves a WC. Its an honor bestowed on a player at the discretion of the tournament director - not something to be expected by anyone no matter how accomplished one was previously.

"the mosquito"
05-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Nobody deserves a WC. Its an honor bestowed on a player at the discretion of the tournament director - not something to be expected by anyone no matter how accomplished one was previously.

Yes, you are correct. It's what the tournament director wants- to see the rising stars get their chance. Just unfortunate for Ferrero, battling it out in the qualies seeing where he was previously. Agassi went through this kind of stuff too, but he was lucky enough to receive some wild cards, and through hard work he made it back to the top of the game. Juanqui has what it takes to do it also.

gugafanatic
05-06-2005, 04:28 PM
A former FO champion is entitled a WC IMO. Ferrero will also help ticket sales for the tournament as he is a popular player.

Chloe
05-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't entirely disagree, but I think it's a complete joke to have players ranked in the 300s wildcarded in over their heads to masters series main draws. Canada does it too and this has always irritated me. They're ranked 300 for a reason. WC them into qualies.

Chloe
05-06-2005, 07:11 PM
^^ I do note that there are exceptions to the above, mind you. Some players ranked 9120381290 end up performing well at the masters events. Most don't and are "as good as a bye". Those are the ones that I'm talking about.

YEMntFtb
05-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah I think its a total waste for those players ranked above the top 150 to get a wildcard. They should be playing in the challengers and working there way up on a level that is best for them. JC is awesome and totally deserves a Wild Card, he got the shaft at Rome as well.

VamosRafa
05-06-2005, 07:59 PM
And when you consider all the great Spanish players, you can imagine the Spanish wildcard committee would make the same decision if it was a Spanish tourney.

stc9357
05-06-2005, 08:00 PM
misti i need to talk to you email me!