PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please on hybrid setup

jelle v
03-28-2010, 02:33 AM
Ok, so with the new tennis season coming up, well at leat here in The Netherlands, I want to try some new hybrid string setups.

I used to have Kirschbaum Supersmash Spiky 1.20 in my nBlade, but now I have a kBlade and that racket has a flex of 67 (?) and that plays a lot stiffer than an nBlade (which I actually like much beter), so I'm trying softer string setups, with multi filament strings as cross string.

1) I had some old strings lying around: Head RIP Control 1.20 and a main string from a ISO Speed Hybrid reel. I think it plays nice and soft, but I have no idea what that main string is. It's black and comes from this reel:

http://www.the[]tennis[]shop.com.au/tennis-shop/image/iso-speed-hybrid.jpg (delete brackets, censurship from TW)

Does anybody have an idea which string they use as main? (so that I can buy it separately)

2) I don't know much about Luxilon Big Banger (?) or Alu rough (?), but what would be a nice and soft hybrid setup with that string? I'm hearing a lot of good things about it and from what I read on this forum a lot of pros use it (I know, I'm not a pro).

(I'm a baseliner playing with quite a lot of spin by the way, always play on claycourts and basically I'm just searching for a nice and soft string setup)

fgs
03-28-2010, 03:27 AM
i use the kirschbaum competition 1.20 in mains at 23kg and wilson sensation 1.25 at 22kg in crosses. will soon switch to tennisoutlet no.1 in crosses at 1.20 which basically is a isospeed professional new labelled differently. plays softer than the sensation and has more power and control. the major reason though is that it last considerably longer in spite of the smaller diameter.
i play pretty heavy topspin off both sides and am an agressive baseliner. i play the nblades but know the kblades very well since my son plays them and he's using the same setup.
i'm going to look into the new kirschbaum helix as a mains pretty soon and also consider the mantis power polyester. will get both sets during april.

jelle v
03-28-2010, 01:05 PM
i use the kirschbaum competition 1.20 in mains at 23kg and wilson sensation 1.25 at 22kg in crosses. will soon switch to tennisoutlet no.1 in crosses at 1.20 which basically is a isospeed professional new labelled differently. plays softer than the sensation and has more power and control. the major reason though is that it last considerably longer in spite of the smaller diameter.
i play pretty heavy topspin off both sides and am an agressive baseliner. i play the nblades but know the kblades very well since my son plays them and he's using the same setup.
i'm going to look into the new kirschbaum helix as a mains pretty soon and also consider the mantis power polyester. will get both sets during april.

Tennisoutlet no.1? I don't know that brand of string... But you have given me the idea of Isospeed professional or isospeed professional classic as a cross string... Would it be a good idea to put Isospeed pro (classic) as the cross string at 25 kg with Luxilon Alu Rough at 24 kg as the main string? It seems like something worth the try..

fgs
03-28-2010, 01:33 PM
check for the site with the same name in austria. the no.1 is the new professional labelled differently.
i just hit today for the first time with the alu rough in a head microgel radical midplus. i don't like the racquet so i can't say anything about the strings. on the other hand i've tried extensively in the last two weeks the new adrenaline in 1.20 as mains and i must say i liked it a lot. most of all it didn't die - some three years ago i played the big banger original and for the first two-three hours i was thrilled and then i asked myself why people are going crazy about it - it was completely dead and i got into shoulder problems, so i didn't want to hear the word luxilon anymore. a friend i trust told me to try the adrenaline and i'm not sorry i did. while the kirschbaum competition fits me better (it is a little bit less stiff, has slightly more power but about the same control), the luxilon adrenaline is a string i can recommend without any reserve. strings generally don't last with me longer than 5-6 hours since i hit quite heavy topspin, and the adrenaline provided a joyful experience in both setups with sensation and with outlet no.1 in crosses.
for the crosses i tried the tecnifibre multifeel and it was a disaster (not much control, broke after slightly less than two hours and it was 1.30mm!!!). i'm going to look into babolat addiction and mantis power synthetik.
if money doesn't matter or you don't break a lot of strings, the nxt tour 1.26 is a really wonderful option. i haven't tried the more expensive tecnifibre simply because i don't want to apply for a credit and basically i'm very happy with the tennisoutlet no.1.