PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 in disarray.

Paul Murphy
03-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Can't remember a time when the top 10 has been in such disarray (though I'm sure some members will be able to give examples from the past).

The line-up is characterised by loss of form, injury, and seeming disinterest.

Del P and Davy injured, Murray and Djok (out-of form/disinterest?), Nadal still not 100 per cent.

Federer back after a long lay-off and losing to Baghdatis.

Highly unimpressive looking bunch at the moment.

clayman2000
03-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Considering the strength of it this time last year it is shocking.

gpt
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Disarray?
How is it different to any other time?

I dont really understand what your observation is. The top ten is an ever changing arrangement. Players rise and fall all the time.
Injuries, lack of form and unexpected losses are nothing new.

And why do you deduce that disinterest is a factor?

aldeayeah
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Yeah, last year they were all really regular in the MS, with the same guys making the quarters of every tournament.

It hasn't really been a normal situation though. We've been with almost the same top 10 for a whole year! Time for some people to drop.

dmt
03-28-2010, 03:59 AM
I think time will fix everything

Federer is great at majors but he doesnt seem to care too much about the smaller tournaments so i dont think it'll affect his performances at grand slams

Nadal, atleast he's trying. I saw some really good tennis at indian wells from him, i think he can get back, he just needs some good wins to regain his confidence.

Djokovic is djoker. He needs to go back to his old serve, play more agressively and try to be more consistent

Murray will eventualyl get over his ao loss.

Delpo i am a bit worried about but he's young and hopefully he can come back and play well at roland garros.

Roddick is playing passively right now. He needs to hit the ball deeper. Hopefully he'll do well at wimby.

Just give it a few months and i am sure things will get better.

Paul Murphy
03-28-2010, 04:10 AM
I maintain that the top 10 is particularly weak in terms of fitness/results at this time.
As for disinterest I wonder if that was what the crowd in Miami was thinking when they booed Djok off the court after losing to Rochus.
"Losing to Rochus", Murray to Fish, no Davy or Del Potro - as I said, it's a weak top 10 in terms of results/fitness at this time.

pound cat
03-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Davydenko has a fractured wrist and will be out for 6 weeks. Murray has had ongoing problems with his wrist. Nadal had problems with his knees and that screwed up his game physically and mentally. DelP wrist injury.

Big phsically toll on top 10

As for the rest...time will tell.

Is it a full moon all the time for some tennis players?

gpt
03-28-2010, 04:20 AM
[QUOTE=Paul Murphy;4510111]I maintain that the top 10 is particularly weak in terms of fitness/results at this time.
As for disinterest I wonder if that was what the crowd in Miami was thinking when they booed Djok off the court after losing to Rochus.
"Losing to Rochus", Murray to Fish, no Davy or Del Potro - as I said, it's a weak top 10 in terms of results/fitness at this time.[/QUOTE

Oh well. Must be just me. Seems as though plenty of others agree with you.

Rhino
03-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Djokovic and Murray were taken down early in consecutive tournaments; that's pretty much the basis for this thread.
Federer has been having the odd unexpected loss here and there for the last couple of years, so what.
Nadal made the semis of IW, Roddick the final, and both are alive in Miami.
DelPo and Davy are just injured, and injuries plague the top ten on and off regularly.
As for Soderling and Cilic, they are posting ok results.

Who knows, a week from now we may have our first Federer/Nadal final since Madrid.

Paul Murphy
03-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Del Potro has been injured off and on for a long while now - wrist injury which still isn't right.
Davy out for three months.
Nadal just back after a long lay-off.
Fed just back after a lay-off.
Murray in poor form.
Djok in poor form.

davey25
03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
This is so true. So much for the great mens field some people speak of.

Federer- Played great to win Australia, well with a few ungangly hours mixed in. However since then has played 3 matches now and lost 1 of them to a lowly ranked opponent in a 3rd round match. In the last 12 months has won a grand total of 5 tournaments yet is the runaway #1 by multi thousand points. Yeah whatever.

Nadal- Hasnt won a tournament in 10 months, has lost to almost every top 10 player he has faced in the last 10 months, yet is still looking on the verge of getting his #2 ranking back.

Djokovic- Struggled to find anything close to his true A-game for awhile but was avoiding some embarassing exits for awhile largely through opponents gagging, but now as he continues to not show his true form his luck is running out and the embarassing exits are beginning. The Ljubicic loss can be seen in a different light in hindsight, but a past his prime little Rochus brother? Hmm.

Murray- oh what a mess at the moment. He did have a good Australian atleast, not good enough for him I guess and the hangover just might take awhile to get over. Or maybe his defensive game style has gone as far as it can take him, which is an even more depressing reality maybe hitting.

Davydenko- after collapsing in pathetic fashion vs Federer in Australia is now out for months with injury. Will his time ever truly come, or did it already and the end of last year is as much a breakthrough as he is destined to ever have.

Del Potro- has barely stayed healthy for 2 tournaments in a row since last years U.S Open. Is this going to be what his whole career is like. Hopefully not, but this year isnt looking promising.

Roddick- playing pretty well but really is this guy even going to win a Masters again?

Soderling- Is this guy ever even going to win a Masters, let alone a slam?

Verdasco- Well atleast he got his first win over a top 10 opponent in 13 months. World beater in the making? I dont think so. Chardy, Monaco, and Berdych in his 3 tournaments since then didnt think so either.

Cilic- beating badly injured Del Potro and Roddick in 5 sets to make a slam semi career highlight thus far. Won 2 smaller tournaments this year, so good early campaign and showing his major potential. Still it would be nice if he started winning some matches again to continue this ascent, he has lost 3 in a row now to not exactly stellar opponents.

Rhino
03-28-2010, 04:51 AM
Yeah but there are these things called "Grand Slams". Look them up, they're pretty important.

rovex
03-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Verdasco- Well atleast he got his first win over a top 10 opponent in 13 months. World beater in the making, I dont think so.

At least Verdasco has won a title this year. I don't see Roddick, Murray or Nadal doing the same. Anyway, i think he can go deep in Miami this week. Looked real good against Sela.

Paul Murphy
03-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Pretty decent summation davey25.

Rhino
03-28-2010, 04:56 AM
The last 12 grand slam finals have been contested by members of the current top 10.

(The last person outside of the current top 10 to appear in a grand slam final was Fernando Gonzalez in the 2007 AO final).

davey25
03-28-2010, 04:58 AM
At least Verdasco has won a title this year. I don't see Roddick, Murray or Nadal doing the same. Anyway, i think he can go deep in Miami this week. Looked real good against Sela.

Yeah he won a title, plus the exo title in January, some good moments for him early this year. However he needs to beat top 10 opponents more than once every 13 months (sorry to say probably about his average up to now) if he is going to make a big impact on the elite of the mens game, even in its current state of disarray. When you win a title and you are trying to reconsolidate a spot in the top 10 atleast, it is nice to follow it up with something a bit better than losses to Chardy and Monaco, then a blowout defeat with a bagel served by Tomas Berdych.

davey25
03-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Anyway, i think he can go deep in Miami this week. Looked real good against Sela.

Well he is going to have to go through a tough draw to do that:

Round of 16: Cilic or Baghdatis
Quarters: Federer

rovex
03-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Well he is going to have to go through a tough draw to do that:

Round of 16: Cilic or Baghdatis
Quarters: Federer

It will be difficult. He's looked good enough to beat to beat Cilic or Baghdatis.

ronnyy7
03-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Deleted my post when I realized this was turning into yet another "weakest era ever" thread.

Have a blast, trolls.

The Edberg
03-28-2010, 05:44 AM
Whoever said it was the greatest top 10 of all time I guess have to choke on their own words. The top 10 is either underperforming horribly, or all constantly riddled with injuries. Nadal is on the verge of getting #2 but when the hell was the last time he has won anything? Its kind of like Djokovic getting #2.. It a bit odd he managed that considering his poor results at slams, and not winning much. Over the years I would agree. Fed and Nadal were just too dominant overall. But what about now when they are far from as dominant as they used to be and the top guys still cant get it done and take over?

Federer must be loving this though without question.. He can just play the slams and keep a comfortable lead in the points race so he can overtake Sampras in 10 weeks or so. Fed and Nadal definitely should be lucky they are not contemporaries of the 80s or early 90 for sure or even having to compete when Laver and Rosewall were around. Nadal wouldnt be able to grab #2 and get away with maintaining being that high while not winning and spending months on the D.L. Federer wouldnt get away with only winning slams and doing nothing at the other tournaments. When the last time this guy has won an event other than a slam anyways?

TheTruth
03-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Federer- Played great to win Australia, well with a few ungangly hours mixed in. However since then has played 3 matches now and lost 1 of them to a lowly ranked opponent in a 3rd round match. In the last 12 months has won a grand total of 5 tournaments yet is the runaway #1 by multi thousand points. Yeah whatever.

Nadal- Hasnt won a tournament in 10 months, has lost to almost every top 10 player he has faced in the last 10 months, yet is still looking on the verge of getting his #2 ranking back.

Djokovic- Struggled to find anything close to his true A-game for awhile but was avoiding some embarassing exits for awhile largely through opponents gagging, but now as he continues to not show his true form his luck is running out and the embarassing exits are beginning. The Ljubicic loss can be seen in a different light in hindsight, but a past his prime little Rochus brother? Hmm.

Murray- oh what a mess at the moment. He did have a good Australian atleast, not good enough for him I guess and the hangover just might take awhile to get over. Or maybe his defensive game style has gone as far as it can take him, which is an even more depressing reality maybe hitting.

Davydenko- after collapsing in pathetic fashion vs Federer in Australia is now out for months with injury. Will his time ever truly come, or did it already and the end of last year is as much a breakthrough as he is destined to ever have.

Del Potro- has barely stayed healthy for 2 tournaments in a row since last years U.S Open. Is this going to be what his whole career is like. Hopefully not, but this year isnt looking promising.

Roddick- playing pretty well but really is this guy even going to win a Masters again?

Verdasco- Well atleast he got his first win over a top 10 opponent in 13 months. World beater in the making? I dont think so. Chardy, Monaco, and Berdych in his 3 tournaments since then didnt think so either.

Cilic- beating badly injured Del Potro and Roddick in 5 sets to make a slam semi career highlight thus far. Won 2 smaller tournaments this year, so good early campaign and showing his major potential. Still it would be nice if he started winning some matches again to continue this ascent, he has lost 3 in a row now to not exactly stellar opponents.

Great, (objective) post. It is what it was, and you nailed it.

zagor
03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
I gotta agree,things aren't looking great right now but there's still a lot of tennis to be played this year so I'll wait till the end of the year before I condemn the top guys for not living up to their rankings.

Whoever said it was the greatest top 10 of all time I guess have to choke on their own words. The top 10 is either underperforming horribly, or all constantly riddled with injuries. Nadal is on the verge of getting #2 but when the hell was the last time he has won anything? Its kind of like Djokovic getting #2.. It a bit odd he managed that considering his poor results at slams, and not winning much. Over the years I would agree. Fed and Nadal were just too dominant overall. But what about now when they are far from as dominant as they used to be and the top guys still cant get it done and take over?

Federer must be loving this though without question.. He can just play the slams and keep a comfortable lead in the points race so he can overtake Sampras in 10 weeks or so. Fed and Nadal definitely should be lucky they are not contemporaries of the 80s or early 90 for sure or even having to compete when Laver and Rosewall were around. Nadal wouldnt be able to grab #2 and get away with maintaining being that high while not winning and spending months on the D.L. Federer wouldnt get away with only winning slams and doing nothing at the other tournaments. When the last time this guy has won an event other than a slam anyways?

Hm,when Fed ends the year #1 while winning "only" one slam and not reaching the final in the other 3(even losing in 2nd round of one of them)all the while having a streak of losing in early rounds in first 4 masters played like Sampras did in 1998 do let me know.

Since so far the only years Fed ended #1 was when he won 2 slams,the years he won a single slam he finished second.

Also to answer the bolded question,Fed won 2 masters titles last year.

West Coast Ace
03-28-2010, 07:14 PM
At least Verdasco has won a title this year. I don't see Roddick, Murray or Nadal doing the same. Did anyone tell you Roddick won Brisbane?

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM

Roddick did win a title. So yes, you have seen him "doing the same"

cknobman
03-29-2010, 06:47 AM

LMAO sure hes "only" won 5 tournaments in the last 12 months, 3 of them being GRAND SLAMS and also made the final of the one slam title he dosnt currently hold and you are going to say "Yeah whatever".

What are you, retarted?:confused:

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Very weak right now as Davydenko was really the guy who kept things in order with his consistency.

reversef
03-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Very weak right now as Davydenko was really the guy who kept things in order with his consistency.

Sure, Davydenko has always been the guy who kept things in order. Who doesn't know that?

equinox
03-29-2010, 08:09 AM
DY should take this opportunity and step up into the top 10. With his hands he's a serious contender to win wimbledon around 2012.

Ocean Drive
03-29-2010, 09:10 AM

Hahahahahaha.

rovex
03-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Did anyone tell you Roddick won Brisbane?

Stepanek is a real opponent for a final. :roll:

Bittabonga
03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Murray would rather be playing video games or his new girlfriend.

World Beater
03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
LOL. sampras was #1 many times winning much less than federer.

Ocean Drive
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Stepanek is a real opponent for a final. :roll:

Stepanek is pretty much just as successful as Verdasco, there is little between them.

Plus the fact Stepanek beat Roddick in San Jose last year in the final...

joeri888
03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If Federer and Nadal win everything, the field is weak. If Federer and Nadal don't win, and a guy ranked 26th can win a MS tournament, the field is weak too. What do you guys want? The field might be deeper than ever. Guys like Ferrero, Ljubicic etc. show that the field in 2003-2006 wasn't all that weak, while guys like Roddick are still going strong as well. Murray and Djokovic are in bad form, and Davydenko and Del Potro are injured, but there's nothing wrong with Federer,Nadal, Roddick, Tsonga, Soderling or Cilic.They play well, the field just isn't easy.

World Beater
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If Federer and Nadal win everything, the field is weak. If Federer and Nadal don't win, and a guy ranked 26th can win a MS tournament, the field is weak too. What do you guys want? The field might be deeper than ever. Guys like Ferrero, Ljubicic etc. show that the field in 2003-2006 wasn't all that weak, while guys like Roddick are still going strong as well. Murray and Djokovic are in bad form, and Davydenko and Del Potro are injured, but there's nothing wrong with Federer,Nadal, Roddick, Tsonga, Soderling or Cilic.They play well, the field just isn't easy.

right after jmdp won the usopen...everyone was saying how tough this era was with all the young gunz and competition.

then federer comes in annhilates most of them at the first slam...and now the competition is somehow weak. LOL.

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 11:19 AM
3 of those 5 tournaments that Fed won were grand slams right? Just goes to show that if he falls off at slams his ranking might drop very quickly

joeri888
03-29-2010, 11:21 AM
3 of those 5 tournaments that Fed won were grand slams right? Just goes to show that if he falls off at slams his ranking might drop very quickly

Yes, if he loses his level, he'll fall. Thing is, he doesn't play a lot, so he's unlikely to be unfit at a Slam, and his level is still top notch, but yeah. He could lose some places between Madrid and US Open.

luvly
03-29-2010, 11:26 AM

federer did more outside of slams last year than people give him credit for...take away all his slam points and he is still in the top 10 around number 8 or 9.

not bad imo

joeri888
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
federer did more outside of slams last year than people give him credit for...take away all his slam points and he is still in the top 10 around number 8 or 9.

not bad imo

Take away everyones Slam points (particularly Roddick's final and Soderling's final, as well as Del Potro's US OPen win) and Federer is probably even higher.

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Take away everyones Slam points (particularly Roddick's final and Soderling's final, as well as Del Potro's US OPen win) and Federer is probably even higher.

Well yeah but we aren't doing that. Someone in the top 10 is going to win the slams and if it's not Federer then he better work on his non-Slam performances in 2010 as well. Same for Murray and Djokovic now

luvly
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM

I know, I felt that was implied considering that I only said to take away his slam points and he was still in the top 10....