LameTennisPlayer
03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
freak of nature

Nextman916
03-28-2010, 08:16 PM
He should do body serves more :)

Djokovicfan4life
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
That clay one probably took a bad bounce, but yes, Karlovic's serve is the best.

slicefox
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
rofl most of these players don't even try on their return games against karlovic.

ivo gets an ace and the receiver just slowly walks to the next court thinking "eh, another one of these BS serves..."

forzamilan90
03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
one dimensional player, i love it how these big servers dominate people with their serves, but come against fed and he outaces the crap outta you

Gaab
03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHLwjWUgIs&feature=related

Outright scary.
I love this camera angle.

kmen21
03-29-2010, 07:40 AM
Having been one of the only people here to return a pros serve, I can say that it's much harder than it looks. I returned Magnus Larssons serve on grass about 8 years ago, and not just once, for a set... I was playing this doubles expo, and I asked him to serve like he would against another pro against me, and holy ****, there's literally no time to react, not to mention the sucker served to my backhand everytime, I couldn't even get in position for a slice.

drakulie
03-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I got great high speed video footage of Ivo yesterday on the practice courts at Miami. His serve is scary.

swordtennis
03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I got great high speed video footage of Ivo yesterday on the practice courts at Miami. His serve is scary.

Checked out your site and some of the vids. Nice interesting site, man. Giving a shout out props..

drakulie
03-29-2010, 08:18 AM
^^Thanks. I'll be posting more vids soon (Fed, Nadal, Gonzo, Murray, Isner, Roodick, Karlovic, Querey, Henin, Wozniaki, Fish, Dent, Tipsarivec, Venus, Wawrinka, Ferrero, Hantuchova, Azarenka, etc)

aphex
03-29-2010, 08:24 AM
^^Thanks. I'll be posting more vids soon (Fed, Nadal, Gonzo, Murray, Isner, Roodick, Karlovic, Querey, Henin, Wozniaki, Fish, Dent, Tipsarivec, Venus, Wawrinka, Ferrero, Hantuchova, Azarenka, etc)

where's the site drak?

swordtennis
Excellent! Love seeing these guys techniques and how good they are.

swordtennis
where's the site drak?

The utube link in his sig...

aphex
03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
The utube link in his sig...

oh, ok, thanks

swordtennis
03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
u r welcome. Pretty cool site....

grzegorzo
03-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Ivo should do this more often:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2in_RvdDPs&feature=related

Andres
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbgyec9jcCM&feature=related

A LOT of aces.

OKUSA
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Stepanek must have nerves of steel to get aced 78 times and still win lol, that's 3 sets worth of aces basically

Mansewerz
03-29-2010, 09:46 AM

I love you!!!!!

drakulie
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
^^LOL, Love you too. :) I'll begin posting one or two every few days. Being there is such an interest with Ivo, I'll post his tonight.

Andres
03-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Stepanek must have nerves of steel to get aced 78 times and still win lol, that's 3 sets worth of aces basically
3 sets, one game and 2 aces :)

bruce38
03-29-2010, 10:29 AM
How good can the serve be? He loses most of the time.

LeeD
03-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Kmen is out of his mind.
I'll bet plenty of people here on the board have returned serves going into the 130's.
For sure, I've faced KevinCurran's and JoaroSoare's serves for two sets, and lived to tell about bagels and breadsticks.
And plenty of 5.0's to 5.5's who are taller than 6'5" x210lbs can serve right there.
Big serves are great to have, great to play against, for sure, but it's the skill level in addition to the big serve that makes one a great tennis player or a big server only.
Key is usually to PROLONG your service, so you tire out the big server, get him to huff and puff, so his serve gets less effective.

drakulie
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
as promised, here is one of the videos I took this weekend of karlovic serving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0RbHNOCaws

enjoy

abraxas21
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
rofl most of these players don't even try on their return games against karlovic.

ivo gets an ace and the receiver just slowly walks to the next court thinking "eh, another one of these BS serves..."

it might seem that way but i can assure you they do try. it's just that ivo's serves are too good.

abmk
03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
that is scary !

Sentinel
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
And then, kicking it over your head....

.... with a flat serve...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Ni6YdnYO8&feature=related
Phew ! that went right over Verdy's backhand side. Nothing he could do about it.

Max G.
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
How good can the serve be? He loses most of the time.

No, he doesn't. He in fact has won a majority of the matches he has played, both this year and overall throughout his career.

KHSOLO
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Thats was quite funny

sh@de
03-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Here's a question which might be slightly off topic, but:

Is there more time to react to a 200+ kph serve in tennis, or more time to react to a 300-400 kph badminton smash...? I'm wondering which sport is faster.

RCizzle65
03-29-2010, 10:19 PM

Maybe Haas shouldn't try moving the ads around to try and return serve 50 feet back, lol. I remember Haas saying he didn't like playing him because all he was is a serve, but hey, you have to find a way to beat every player you play, whether they have a big all around game, big forehand, or just a big serve, you have to find a way to beat them.

Love50
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Is there more time to react to a 200+ kph serve in tennis, or more time to react to a 300-400 kph badminton smash...? I'm wondering which sport is faster.

Hmm... I'm not sure you can compare them that way.

You can "react" fast enough in tennis but you may not be able to move your racquet fast enough or get to where you need to be in time.

In badminton, the smash effectiveness depends on where it is hit. I would rather return a fast smash from full court as opposed to a slow tap from on top of the net...:)

sh@de
03-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure you can compare them that way.

You can "react" fast enough in tennis but you may not be able to move your racquet fast enough or get to where you need to be in time.

In badminton, the smash effectiveness depends on where it is hit. I would rather return a fast smash from full court as opposed to a slow tap from on top of the net...:)

Haha well I'm talking about a smash all the way from the baseline of course. I wonder... I actually think badminton is even quicker than tennis in this resepct.

Kobble
03-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Thing about Karlovic is his serve seems to be all genetics (height). Overall, his mechanics are not one to copy for maximizing your serve.

OliverSimon
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
This vid of Karlovic at Queens shows the serve better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmSMJhIUqU&feature=related

maddogz32
03-30-2010, 08:36 PM
it still kinda scares me how the record for the fastest ever second serve (which is held by ivo) is 147 mph

Max G.
03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Thing about Karlovic is his serve seems to be all genetics (height). Overall, his mechanics are not one to copy for maximizing your serve.

And lots and lots of practice.

Love50
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Haha well I'm talking about a smash all the way from the baseline of course. I wonder... I actually think badminton is even quicker than tennis in this resepct.

Most of the time, a full court smash is not a winner. There is a drastic slow-down once the feathers snap open again. Now if you used a shuttle with banged-up feathers or a nylon shuttle, then yeah you can crush those to the floor without the thing opening up...

SuperFly
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Drakulie owes me a new pair of boxers :(

samprasvsfederer123
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM
people in here underestimate how pro tennis is played what a shame

dincuss
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
people in here underestimate how pro tennis is played what a shame

yah they think anyone could become a pro.

sh@de
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Most of the time, a full court smash is not a winner. There is a drastic slow-down once the feathers snap open again. Now if you used a shuttle with banged-up feathers or a nylon shuttle, then yeah you can crush those to the floor without the thing opening up...

But that doesn't mean it's slower than tennis or anything right? For all we know... it could just mean that badminton players have insane reaction speeds... :)

SandV62
04-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I play competition badminton and tennis I can tell that it is easier to respond a badminton smash because you just have to put that 85g stick on the shuffle and it goes back into the court. In tennis you have to handle that 330g stick and get that ball to bounce back in the court

sh@de
04-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I play competition badminton and tennis I can tell that it is easier to respond a badminton smash because you just have to put that 85g stick on the shuffle and it goes back into the court. In tennis you have to handle that 330g stick and get that ball to bounce back in the court

Hmm... but how competitive is your badminton play? I'm talking about reacting to 300+ kph badminton smashes. Not slow at all!

Danstevens
04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Hmm... but how competitive is your badminton play? I'm talking about reacting to 300+ kph badminton smashes. Not slow at all!

I've played with Chris Adcock and a few other top professionals and former pros and I would say that the standard of my badminton is pretty good. The smash that gave me the most trouble was probably that of David Lindley, a former professional mixed doubles player. For a small guy he can really hit a shuttle - I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shuttlecock or indeed anything without an engine travel that fast before.

Whilst the shuttle does slow down a lot after it is hit, that doesn't matter if you couldn't react to the smash fast enough to get it back. I would say (it's my personal opinion that) it's more difficult to get to a fast and steep badminton smash but once you do manage to get there, it could be slightly easier to guide over the net than a Karlovic serve purely for the reasons that at this point, the shuttle might be a little slower than the tennis ball and if Karlovic served to me, I know that I'd be hitting it well over shoulder height which would make it difficult to do anything with even if I did guess correctly and go the right way. If Tan Boon Heong (fastest recorded unofficial smash speed) or Fu Haifeng (fastest official smash speed) were to hit a smash to my side of the court, I believe I'd have great difficulty returning it also simply because it would hit the ground so quickly but if by some miracle I did manage to get to the shuttle (which would have come off the racket at around 260mph if we're talking fastest ever recorded kind of speed), I think that I'd probably be able to lift it back. Of course, that lift would undoubtedly be hit through the floor with another super fast smash or they'd simply play a tight drop as I struggled to recover from returning the initial smash. This I suppose is a similar scenario to if I managed to return "The Doctor's" serve, the return would be crushed back over for a winner anyway.

ReturnWinner
04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHLwjWUgIs&feature=related

Outright scary.

I remember that serve, it was in the four set tiebreak and it was the fastest serve Karlovic hit in that match:141 mph.

wsberry
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
this guy has a really big serve.. imagine how easy life would be to own a serve like that...

sh@de
04-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I've played with Chris Adcock and a few other top professionals and former pros and I would say that the standard of my badminton is pretty good. The smash that gave me the most trouble was probably that of David Lindley, a former professional mixed doubles player. For a small guy he can really hit a shuttle - I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shuttlecock or indeed anything without an engine travel that fast before.

Whilst the shuttle does slow down a lot after it is hit, that doesn't matter if you couldn't react to the smash fast enough to get it back. I would say (it's my personal opinion that) it's more difficult to get to a fast and steep badminton smash but once you do manage to get there, it could be slightly easier to guide over the net than a Karlovic serve purely for the reasons that at this point, the shuttle might be a little slower than the tennis ball and if Karlovic served to me, I know that I'd be hitting it well over shoulder height which would make it difficult to do anything with even if I did guess correctly and go the right way. If Tan Boon Heong (fastest recorded unofficial smash speed) or Fu Haifeng (fastest official smash speed) were to hit a smash to my side of the court, I believe I'd have great difficulty returning it also simply because it would hit the ground so quickly but if by some miracle I did manage to get to the shuttle (which would have come off the racket at around 260mph if we're talking fastest ever recorded kind of speed), I think that I'd probably be able to lift it back. Of course, that lift would undoubtedly be hit through the floor with another super fast smash or they'd simply play a tight drop as I struggled to recover from returning the initial smash. This I suppose is a similar scenario to if I managed to return "The Doctor's" serve, the return would be crushed back over for a winner anyway.

Ah alright. Thanks for your explanation!

samprasvsfederer123
04-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Ah alright. Thanks for your explanation!

point is tennis is way better than badmington takes more skill will forever be more popular and more challenging, and is a harder to master and to be good at, it is also more exiting and more grand. tennis>badmington

Shaolin
04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
This is how it feels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQqoL9V1j2k

Ambivalent
04-01-2010, 08:24 PM

Badminton birdie loses speed almost immediately. The birdie is designed to do so. Tennis ball, not so much.

sh@de
04-01-2010, 08:41 PM
point is tennis is way better than badmington takes more skill will forever be more popular and more challenging, and is a harder to master and to be good at, it is also more exiting and more grand. tennis>badmington

LOL er... ok?

OKUSA
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
never knew shuttlecocks went 400 kmph, that doesn't even make sense

sh@de
04-02-2010, 01:43 AM
never knew shuttlecocks went 400 kmph, that doesn't even make sense

How doesn't it make sense...?