PDA

View Full Version : Amelie Maurchokemo

Coria
05-06-2005, 06:37 PM
This woman comes up so small in big matches. After all these years, you'd think she'd learn how to rise to the occasion. She will NEVER win a major--book it.

Pushmaster
05-07-2005, 03:11 AM
I agree she'll never win a major if she hasn't by now, but I don't think she's a choker though. I think Amelie is vastly overrated and just consistently gets outplayed by her better opponent when it counts.

Andrew.
05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree she'll never win a major if she hasn't by now, but I don't think she's a choker though. I think Amelie is vastly overrated and just consistently gets outplayed by her better opponent when it counts.
She chokes HARD at the French nearly every year. She did it at the US Open last year too. Wimbledon, Serena outplayed her in the end. I also agree that she's overrated, but this woman frequently chokes in big tournaments against players she normally kills.

Rodzilla
05-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Here comes French Open time again and Amelie is going to get far again, and then she is going to choke again, what else could you expect? She is overrated too.

Grimjack
05-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't think she's a choker at all. I just think she gets about as far as she could hope to with her very limited game, then inevitably runs into somebody playing better.

I don't even think it's possible to choke when your results are so much better than your talent level. If anything, I think she's overachieved.

NoBadMojo
05-07-2005, 10:11 AM
limited game? are we not taliking about Mauresmo here? she's got every shot in the book, can volley..she can do it all....i think her game is so diverse, she has lots of trouble choosing a playing style because she does everything so well...this becomes more evident when the pressure is on and she seems to struggle choosing what kind of shot pattern to execute because she's got so many shots in her toolbox...much easier if you are a baseliner and your thought process is pretty much imited to: x-court groundstroke. watch her play live sometime..she's really impressive and hits a very clean ball.

Rodzilla
05-07-2005, 10:14 AM
yes, I think you are correct. There are players out there who are so well-rounded they don't have a weapon that really sticks out, maybe she needs that.

Grimjack
05-07-2005, 10:55 AM
limited game? are we not taliking about Mauresmo here? she's got every shot in the book, can volley..she can do it all....i think her game is so diverse, she has lots of trouble choosing a playing style because she does everything so well...this becomes more evident when the pressure is on and she seems to struggle choosing what kind of shot pattern to execute because she's got so many shots in her toolbox...much easier if you are a baseliner and your thought process is pretty much imited to: x-court groundstroke. watch her play live sometime..she's really impressive and hits a very clean ball.

Are we watching the same woman?

In the 20 or so times I've seen her play, she mostly just rallies back all day to the middle of the court and waits on her opponent to miss. Doesn't even use those admittedly beautiful groundies to force things. Doesn't create angles, doesn't attack, doesn't do much of anything. Her game is beautiful, and she CAN do lots of things, but that doesn't mean she does. Every pro is really impressive and hits a really clean ball. From what I've seen, she does a lot less than she could with the ones she hits. But that isn't to say she's choking on big occasions. It's to say it's her regular gameplan. Hit one more rock-solid stroke than your opponent, and hope she isn't talented enough to take the initiative and win the point on her own. And when you're as good at plan A as Mauresmo, you generally don't need a plan B, unless you happen to be playing a bigtime player in a bigtime situation-- then you're doomed. And, inevitably, she has been. She loses ALL those matches, as she should.

Maybe I've just caught her on 20 or so occasions when she was off her mental game, but it has never looked like much of a mental game to me. Solid strokes coupled by a willingness to "try not to lose." It works against all but the best, of course, but generally fails against the best. And her results mirror that from what I've seen.

NoBadMojo
05-07-2005, 11:23 AM
i've watched her live several times both in match play and very close up in practice...and no, not all women hit a clean ball like her, nor are they as physcally strong as her, and most have nowhere near the array of shots as her. the things i think preclude her from winning the big matches are no real weapon (altho she hits everything well), too many shots to pick from and she seems to make bad choices at the worst time, and she isnt so good with her footwork as far as making that last small adjustment step before the hit so when she gets nervous at key moments in a match, that seems to cause her strokes to break down. she also hits maybe a bit too loopy from the back at times..my .o2 and you are certainly welcome to think as you like grimjack, but to say 'she has a limited game' as you did is just absurd.

Jack the Hack
05-07-2005, 12:17 PM
My two cents...

Mauresmo is very athletic and has the talent and strokes to be a solid top 20 player. There is nothing to be ashamed of with this - personally, I would give almost anything to be among the top 20 players in the world!!!

However, as others have pointed out, despite her variety, Mauresmo lacks a weapon. Usually, if you don't have a physical weapon like a big forehand or serve, then it takes a great strategic mind and extreme mental toughness to go from a top 20 player to a top 3 position (for example, Sanchez-Vicario or Mats Wilander). Mauresmo lacks both the big weapon and the mental genius, but still reached #1.

I *sort of* understand the circumstances that allowed her to reach #1. With Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters, Davenport, Capriati, and the Williams sisters all injured for good chunks of last year, some one had to fill the vacuum at the top. However, I thought it was a travesty that a player that did not even reach one Grand Slam final last year became #1.. what a joke! Therefore, here is my bold, opinionated statement:

Amelie Mauresmo is the WORST #1 ranked player of all time!

ragnaROK
05-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I personally think she has all the shots she needs to win a major, she just needs to put it together mentally. Getting the shot selection down, working on fitness, and improving her mental game will help turn it around. But it's easier said than done.

TigerTennis
05-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Are we watching the same woman?

In the 20 or so times I've seen her play, she mostly just rallies back all day to the middle of the court and waits on her opponent to miss. Doesn't even use those admittedly beautiful groundies to force things. Doesn't create angles, doesn't attack, doesn't do much of anything. Her game is beautiful, and she CAN do lots of things, but that doesn't mean she does. Every pro is really impressive and hits a really clean ball. From what I've seen, she does a lot less than she could with the ones she hits. But that isn't to say she's choking on big occasions. It's to say it's her regular gameplan. Hit one more rock-solid stroke than your opponent, and hope she isn't talented enough to take the initiative and win the point on her own. And when you're as good at plan A as Mauresmo, you generally don't need a plan B, unless you happen to be playing a bigtime player in a bigtime situation-- then you're doomed. And, inevitably, she has been. She loses ALL those matches, as she should.

Maybe I've just caught her on 20 or so occasions when she was off her mental game, but it has never looked like much of a mental game to me. Solid strokes coupled by a willingness to "try not to lose." It works against all but the best, of course, but generally fails against the best. And her results mirror that from what I've seen.

I mean this is the nicest way possible, but I don't think you could be more wrong! We are speaking of a very talented, very athletic woman. Davenport and both Williams sisters have said in the past that when they play Amelie, they feel like they are "playing against a man". Not only does she overpower people, to say that she just "plays the ball back" is wrong too, bc she often makes unforced errors going for big shots. I respect your opinion, I just think you are in the vast minority.

Exile
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
I think "Maureschoke" would have been better.

But hasn't a strange mentality plagued you in the past?