PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray: "I've fallen out of love with tennis"

Rhino
03-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1261390/Andy-Murray-worry-admits-Ive-fallen-love-tennis.html

dropshot winner
03-29-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm not surprised, his body languages in the past few weeks has been very poor.

It's not surprising that losing the Australian Open final deflated him. He started the match with a lot of confidence and high hopes, and then he got spanked.

The young guns have issues with working so hard and still getting second best, happened to Djokovic in 2008 and now to Murray.

Rhino
03-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Mind you, according to his book, Agassi hated tennis the whole time, and that didn't stop him winning 8 slams.

Having said that, Murray is no Agassi.

Sephiroth619
03-29-2010, 01:42 AM
He sounds like Jankovic. I remember her saying those words not too long ago.

dropshot winner
Mind you, according to his book, Agassi hated tennis the whole time, and that didn't stop him winning 8 slams.

I do think that Murray will get over this low and win a few slams in the next 5-6 years.

IMO young Murray (the one that beat Nadal in 08 Us Open and 10 AO) is better than young ballbashing Agassi.

Smartbucks
In the case of both Djoko and Muzza the TKO of Federers game in Slams prove they are understudies still.
They talk tough but when push comes to shove they get crushed by Roger.
That then is either gonna make them humble and see what needs to be worked hard on or they go into the state of mind they both are in at the moment.

TheTruth
03-29-2010, 02:13 AM
The article had an interesting take on his pressure though. They keep touting him left and right and then blaming him in the next breath. Guess him and Djoker have to learn how to ride the crests a little better. It's hard being on top.

I still think he will win some slams. There's (almost )always a dark period before a breakthrough.

Go Murray!

bezs
03-29-2010, 02:30 AM
He can go join Vaidisova than there would be tons of people who would love to be where he is it.

Nextman916
03-29-2010, 02:47 AM

Agreed. Thing is, Agassi could still play incredible tennis while hating it. Murray apparently cannot.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Hope this is temporary

GPG
03-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Hope this is temporary

wouldn't mind if these is forever unless he comes back with the agressive style he had back in 2006-07

Bud
03-29-2010, 03:18 AM
He's acting like a whiny spoiled brat.

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
03-29-2010, 03:18 AM
I do think that Murray will get over this low and win a few slams in the next 5-6 years.

IMO young Murray (the one that beat Nadal in 08 Us Open and 10 AO) is better than young ballbashing Agassi.

I don't..............

dropshot winner
03-29-2010, 03:23 AM
I don't..............

Why?

There are 20 slams that can be won in the next 5 years alone. Do you really think Murray won't win a single one of them?

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 03:23 AM
wouldn't mind if these is forever unless he comes back with the agressive style he had back in 2006-07

He was the best player in AO 2010 right up until his collapse against Federer

Darth_Timmaayyy!!
03-29-2010, 03:26 AM
Why?

There are 20 slams that can be won in the next 5 years alone. Do you really think Murray won't win a single one of them?

Because I dont!...........

dropshot winner
03-29-2010, 03:27 AM
Far from a collapse. Federer played insane at times and Murray had some decent numbers. It was not like Murray couldn't hit a ball into the court (like Federer in some of his losses to him).

Tennis_Crazed
03-29-2010, 03:38 AM
Come on - you can't compare Murray to Agassi yet...really.

dropshot winner
03-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Because I dont!...........

Interesting reasoning....

sh@de
03-29-2010, 04:04 AM

100% agreement.

deltox
03-29-2010, 04:17 AM
Why?

nope, he wont win a single one of them.. of them 20 you speak, 5 of them are unattainable to him for sure.

that leaves 15, thats 5 for federer, 3 for nadal, 2 for djokovic and 5 the others like jmdp, and the younguns yet to be heard of yet.

JeMar
03-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Many players go through a stage like this. It will take some soul searching and some good wins to get over this, but I have no doubt that it will pass.

dropshot winner
03-29-2010, 04:38 AM
nope, he wont win a single one of them.. of them 20 you speak, 5 of them are unattainable to him for sure.

that leaves 15, thats 5 for federer, 3 for nadal, 2 for djokovic and 5 the others like jmdp, and the younguns yet to be heard of yet.
Fair enough, still disagree though.

rovex
03-29-2010, 04:53 AM

I'm sorry, but Djokovic will never win another slam.

reversef
03-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Playing Federer in a Slam final when you have never won one is the most difficult thing to do mentally, but he clearly collapsed. I still think that he will be able to bounce back. Murray could be the kind of player who takes some time to win a GS, then things become easier.

pound cat
03-29-2010, 05:04 AM
It's hard to be a tennis player in the UK. One moment you're the Great Hope for the nation, then when you don't live up to the expectations of the nation, your are crap. It's as if the country owns you and your career,

Henman must have gone through hell, look at how John Lloyed is being villified because the UK lost in the last Davis Cup.

No wonder Murray is disillusioned and losing interest in playing.

The nasty tabloids are parly to blame, as is the general mentality of the tennis scene in the UK ( upper class twits) is to blame as well.

deltox
03-29-2010, 05:11 AM

djokovic is no more steaky a player than safin. he will melt down 85% of the time, but if he shows up in full form he can win.

ninman
03-29-2010, 05:35 AM
It's hard to be a tennis player in the UK. One moment you're the Great Hope for the nation, then when you don't live up to the expectations of the nation, your are crap. It's as if the country owns you and your career,

Henman must have gone through hell, look at how John Lloyed is being villified because the UK lost in the last Davis Cup.

The nasty tabloids are parly to blame, as is the general mentality of the tennis scene in the UK ( upper class twits) is to blame as well.

Yeah I remember last year after he won Queens he was touted as a hero, going to win Wimbledon for sure, and so on. Then he got defeated by an on fire Roddick in the semi's, and suddenly "same story, different player" and how he's such a disappointment and so on. I just can't understand why the press is like that here.

As for David Lloyd, I believe that Britain has one player in the top 100, and that's Andy Murray, who didn't want to play Davis cup. I mean c'mon people, you need two or three really good players to win at Davis cup, not just one. He had nothing to work with, there are no good players in the UK. Look at Spain, they have Nadal, Ferrer, Verdasco, Ferrero, and so on, loads of top players, and that's why they do so well. Lloyd had nothing to work with, how the hell is he in any way to blame for that.

P_Agony
03-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Poor Andy, that AO loss truly affected him, and not in a good way. I think he lost confidence in his game and that's why he's not having a blast out there on the court.

Come on Andy, remember what the great one told you, you're too good of a player not to win a slam.

nfor304
03-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Also assuming Murray is healthy/in form for those 20, which he almost certainly will not be.

rovex
03-29-2010, 05:43 AM
djokovic is no more steaky a player than safin. he will melt down 85% of the time, but if he shows up in full form he can win.

When was the last time he's showed up in full form? He's good as dead. Even with cakewalk draws he can't make it past the semi's.

forzamilan90
03-29-2010, 06:07 AM
He can go join Vaidisova than there would be tons of people who would love to be where he is it.

yeah shame she never capitalized on her game

THUNDERVOLLEY
03-29-2010, 06:11 AM

...then Murray needs to "man up" and ignore the nationalistic wishes and/or emotional nonsense of others and become single-minded. It's his career, not the fans' career, so in quick fashion, give the public the giant middle finger and start to manage his career (win or lose) for himself, because in the end, when he's an older man, he will need to be comfortable with his decsions--and he'll never attain that comfort playing for the long-lost glory of whiners.

Sentinel
03-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Darn, i feel for the guy after reading the article.

Hey, you don't need to be sorry for that, lol. :)

Peters
03-29-2010, 06:25 AM
I think Murray's extremely talented but there's no golden tennis bible that states all players must be perfectly-rounded, balanced individuals.

I think he's great, not just because of his skill, but because he also has some flaws. He's human.

It isn't as simple as 'manning up'. None of us here have any idea what goes through his head, what psychological quirks he may have.

It isn't as black & white as: Player has x talent, if player doesn't achieve y with x talent, player = failure. Only the simple-minded and shallow ever have that view of sportsmen & women.

When he does eventually win a slam, I'll be cheering more than anyone. Not just because he deserves to, but because he clearly has some other issues that have an impact on how he approaches the game, and therefore represent a constant hurdle to him.

I wish people here opened their minds a little bit.

Morrissey
03-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Is it too early to say that Murray and Joker are done? I won't. But let's just play devil's advocate and say that if these 2 guys only amount to 1 or 2 slam titles by the end of their careers will we look at this era as a competitive one? I say Del Potro wins 2-3 slams and ends up being the next best player outside of Nadal & Fed.

cknobman
03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
Murrays loss is called Karma. That is what Andy gets for talking shizzle about Federers titles and how Nadals are more important.

Plus its hard to have a positive attitude when you loose often.

Semi-Pro
03-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Playing Federer in a Slam final when you have never won one is the most difficult thing to do mentally, but he clearly collapsed. I still think that he will be able to bounce back. Murray could be the kind of player who takes some time to win a GS, then things become easier.

Tell that to Andy Roddick ;)

Spider
03-29-2010, 06:55 AM
He basically feels this way because he, although won't say it upfront, doesn't care about these events as much as he cares about the slams. So he may not push himself if he isn't able to beat an opponent at these events, however, at a slam, he will try what ever he can.

Who cares about losing at Indian Wells and Miami, if that results in him winning Wimbledon or US open or both. Good attitude.

fps
03-29-2010, 06:59 AM
...then Murray needs to "man up" and ignore the nationalistic wishes and/or emotional nonsense of others and become single-minded. It's his career, not the fans' career, so in quick fashion, give the public the giant middle finger and start to manage his career (win or lose) for himself, because in the end, when he's an older man, he will need to be comfortable with his decsions--and he'll never attain that comfort playing for the long-lost glory of whiners.

he does manage his career for himself, he and his family have made some brave decisions, such as his move to spain and his split from brad gilbert, and i'd say each one has been vindicated by the progress he's made.

but these kinds of interviews give greater insight into something that has always been apparent on court- a sense of entitlement. he hates losing in a way that suggests he's a negatively motivated player- he fears losing, rather than loving winning. when he misses a ball his body language is awful, as if he wants to let everyone know that he should have made the shot he's just missed, that he somehow has been deprived of making it by something outside his own skillset. he has to man up indeed, knuckle down and stop giving interviews that demonstrate how far he still has to come mentally to win a slam.

i'm not saying he'll never win one though. it's just that at the AO federer was absolutely incredible against him. it'll need a minor but significant attitude change for him to take the next step.

Spider
03-29-2010, 07:03 AM
People are reading too much into this interview. Murray doesn't feel that way in reality. Federer said some time around this time last year, "Thank God the hard court season is over" and has won 3 out of the last 4 slam titles since then. There you go.

Matt H.
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Murray is a spoiled brat. Seen it plenty of times on TV, in interviews, and in person when I go to the Sony Ericsson every year. He’s a sore loser in matches, and I’ve seen him kick and whine right outside the locker room too.

He’s got talent, but his problem is that he bought into the media’s hype and believed he was the next great thing. I’m sure he’s at a low point because for the first time in his career he made a true sacrifice (by skipping the holidays and training in Miami….though I wouldn’t call south beach in December that much of a sacrifice) and he still didn’t get the ultimate reward he was seeking. It happens, and true champs learn to swallow that pill and that life still goes on.

ChevyTennis
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Sounds like Murray is at a crossroads... either he'll pull it together or deicide this isn't what he wants to do. He is human afterall and is entitled to have the same types of thoughts that most "normal" people have.

I can't say I'm 100% always in love with my job either...

samprasvsfederer123
03-29-2010, 07:20 AM
I don't..............

who is the person on your avatar?

:twisted::twisted:

swissmiss
03-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Did he actually say "I've fallen out of love with tennis" or is that just the title? I don't think it's a sign of impending doom that he's been unhappy on the court - as someone said above me, Roger had an unhappy few months on the court last year, and then he turned it around. I do feel sorry for him taking such a beating: he's still just a 22 year old guy, trying to figure himself out, no need to kick him while he's down.

fireice
03-29-2010, 07:24 AM
He lost, and whenever I lose, I don't especially love the sport either...

MotherMarjorie
03-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Physical burn-out equals poor turn-out.

...and he is in the Federer-Nadal Era. If he ever wants to win grand slam tournaments, he will have to learn patience in this generation. See Borg-Connors-McEnroe.

mr_eko
03-29-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm not a fan of Murray's but fighting through something like this will only make him stronger and a better play for it

joeri888
03-29-2010, 07:43 AM
The headline suggests more serious problems than the article itself.

mozzer
03-29-2010, 07:45 AM
I dont blame him, call of duty is so much better.

equinox
03-29-2010, 08:01 AM
He's not the most likable chap on or offcourt and must really be struggling now he's without his ex. Needs to follow the ernst gulbis example and just get laid. cheer him up.

swordtennis
03-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Gosh I hope not. I like Andy Murray. He just has a little work to do and I think he can win a Major. It might be just figuring out how to peak in that 7th match on the Major.

Ocean Drive
03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Tell that to Andy Roddick ;)

Roddick won a slam on his 21st birthday. Hardly "took some time"

sillymonkey
03-29-2010, 08:26 AM
He’s got talent, but his problem is that he bought into the media’s hype and believed he was the next great thing. I’m sure he’s at a low point because for the first time in his career he made a true sacrifice (by skipping the holidays and training in Miami….though I wouldn’t call south beach in December that much of a sacrifice) and he still didn’t get the ultimate reward he was seeking. It happens, and true champs learn to swallow that pill and that life still goes on.

Agree. it's always dangerous when you start believing your own press. I guess there's a fine line between self-confidence and arrogance.

rommil
03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Did he actually say "I've fallen out of love with tennis" or is that just the title? I don't think it's a sign of impending doom that he's been unhappy on the court - as someone said above me, Roger had an unhappy few months on the court last year, and then he turned it around. I do feel sorry for him taking such a beating: he's still just a 22 year old guy, trying to figure himself out, no need to kick him while he's down.

The difference being is that Federer has actually done it before his slump while Murray has still to make that breakthrough in the slams. Federer knows what it takes.Plus the general attitude of the Swiss media and people are different than the pressures the British media and people are putting on Murray's shoulder. Murray needs to figure out a way to deal with that pressure, it's one of the biggest factor why he is not feeling the joy, well that and that he is not winning the Slams. If it takes for him to tell the media to f*ck off then so be it. I don't think it would be the first time his attitude would be in question anyways. He would not be feeling like this if he were winning GS finals.

And yes, the arrogant Mr Federer did make a comment about Murray's game in the past. People dismissed Roger and said that he shouldn't be saying that because he has a losing record to Murray. Maybe Murray should have listened to the right person, the one that knows how to get the job done.

bruce38
03-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah but he didn't really hate tennis even though his standard response to that would be "yeah, I really do". Saying he hated tennis always is just an egomaniac's compensation.

batz
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
"I've fallen out of love with tennis"

Speechmarks and everything for a quote that Murray didn't make. Typical Daily Mail - why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

I'm sure murray will read all the stuff on here and take heed - you tennis messageboard guys are bound to know much more about tennis than him. He's only been to couple of slam finals, won bundles of MS titles and reached number 2 in the world. But you guys, hey - you post anonymously on messageboards. You must know lots of tennis stuff.

mikro112
03-29-2010, 10:48 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/64c3d2bf.jpg

All-rounder
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
People are reading too much into this interview. Murray doesn't feel that way in reality. Federer said some time around this time last year, "Thank God the hard court season is over" and has won 3 out of the last 4 slam titles since then. There you go.

Your point?? Federer had a terrible hardcourt season in the beginning of 2009. He said he can't wait for clay. No way can you compare that to ''I've fallen out of love with tennis''. Losing interest in one surface is different from losing interest in the game completely

Shaolin
03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
He's acting like a whiny spoiled brat.

What else is new.

THUNDERVOLLEY
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM

Speechmarks and everything for a quote that Murray didn't make. Typical Daily Mail - why let the truth get in the way of a good story?

I'm sure murray will read all the stuff on here and take heed - you tennis messageboard guys are bound to know much more about tennis than him. He's only been to couple of slam finals, won bundles of MS titles and reached number 2 in the world. But you guys, hey - you post anonymously on messageboards. You must know lots of tennis stuff.

Very defensive.

Ronaldo
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Come on Andy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y

Cantankersore
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Pretty much all I have to say.

joeri888
03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Your point?? Federer had a terrible hardcourt season in the beginning of 2009. He said he can't wait for clay. No way can you compare that to ''I've fallen out of love with tennis''. Losing interest in one surface is different from losing interest in the game completely

Where did Murray say he fell out of love with tennis. Read the whole article. You'll find that the headline suggests something way more serious than Murray actually said.

Mansewerz
03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
The article had an interesting take on his pressure though. They keep touting him left and right and then blaming him in the next breath. Guess him and Djoker have to learn how to ride the crests a little better. It's hard being on top.

I still think he will win some slams. There's (almost )always a dark period before a breakthrough.

Go Murray!

I whole heartedly agree, especially with the bold. Sampras had his whole "i'm kind of happy to have lost" before winning Wimbledon. Roger lost to Horna in the French open before his first wimbledon. Djoker got spanked in TMC before Australia. Murray will get a slam!

batz
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Very defensive.

If pointing out factual inaccuracies is defensive then I'm Bobby Moore.

I'm not defending Murray. I said right after the match that he was pish and got what was coming to him. I started a thread stating my opinion that he has mental problems before he said as much.

Implying that no-mark messageboard posters (of which I am one) don't know jack is not the same thing as defending Murray.

batz
03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Where did Murray say he fell out of love with tennis. Read the whole article. You'll find that the headline suggests something way more serious than Murray actually said.

Well said Joeri. Murray hasn't said what is in the speechmarks. It's a made up quote.

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
[B]libel? :) [B] :)

CCNM
03-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Maybe he should pull a Justine Henin/Kim Clijsters and take a few months to a year off?

batz
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
[B]libel? :) [B] :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray's people aren't on the case as we speak. The Daily Mail has paid out millions in libel damages in the past.

joeri888
03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Well said Joeri. Murray hasn't said what is in the speechmarks. It's a made up quote.

Indeed. I dislike Murray's normal game, but sympathize with him as a person, especially since AO 2010. Felt for the poor guy. Sick to think a lad like that is only my own age. His heart was broken, and that takes time. Roddick was not into it after he lost W 2009, you could see that the whole rest of the season. Federer was out of 2008 until the Olympic doubles win after Wimby.. It happens. He'll bounce back, and he's not permanently out of love withtennis. he just has enough of it for a little while and needs to get sort of through this phase.

It's a good thing we start fresh after Miami, and there's less pressure for Murray on clay. And come Wimbledon, there's nowhere to go and he'll be urged on to perform so much that it won't take any mental discipline to train hard and stuff.

Still, a bad few months for Andy. He played great at the AO, was obviously the second best there, and probably felt he was playing the tennis of his life, still coming up short.

SuperDuy
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

Pretty much all I have to say.

that was great! lmao

aphex
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I whole heartedly agree, especially with the bold. Sampras had his whole "i'm kind of happy to have lost" before winning Wimbledon. Roger lost to Horna in the French open before his first wimbledon. Djoker got spanked in TMC before Australia. Murray will get a slam!

yeah, but there are more dark periods that don't end in a breakthrough.

otherwise, safin would have 10 slams and gulbis 20.

raiden031
03-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Murray will win slams. He is still better than most and there aren't many people who can stop him, at least on the hard court slams. Fed's reaching his age limit and Nadal is still not in his best form. Nobody else can consistently stop Murray from winning a slam. As long as he continues to play at the level he's played at to reach 2 slam finals, he will win one.

Commando Tennis Shorts
03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I honestly do not feel very sorry for Andy Murray. Maybe when Murray gets into Roddick-land by losing four Slam finals to Federer, I'll start to feel sorry for him.

Although he's still #1, Federer won't be playing forever, and Murray is still young. He'll get exactly what he deserves, whether it's a Slam title or a bunch of close calls.

batz
03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I honestly do not feel very sorry for Andy Murray. Maybe when Murray gets into Roddick-land by losing four Slam finals to Federer, I'll start to feel sorry for him.

Although he's still #1, Federer won't be playing forever, and Murray is still young. He'll get exactly what he deserves, whether it's a Slam title or a bunch of close calls.

Hard to disagree with this.

Murray is only halfway to Roddick land!

joeri888
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Hard to disagree with this.

Murray is only halfway to Roddick land!

Murray should sign up for Murray's career if he gets the chance. :)

Ocean Drive
03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Murray will win slams. He is still better than most and there aren't many people who can stop him, at least on the hard court slams. Fed's reaching his age limit and Nadal is still not in his best form. Nobody else can consistently stop Murray from winning a slam. As long as he continues to play at the level he's played at to reach 2 slam finals, he will win one.

Nobody needs to consistently stop Murray from winning a slam, he's lost to a whole bunch of different people.

Rhino
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM

You act like you're not a " tennis messageboard guy".

Perhaps you're Judy Murray :)

batz
03-29-2010, 02:27 PM
You act like you're not a " tennis messageboard guy".

Perhaps you're Judy Murray :)

No, like I said - I'm just a tennis messageboard guy too:

Implying that no-mark messageboard posters (of which I am one) don't know jack is not the same thing as defending Murray.

JeMar
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
He basically feels this way because he, although won't say it upfront, doesn't care about these events as much as he cares about the slams. So he may not push himself if he isn't able to beat an opponent at these events, however, at a slam, he will try what ever he can.

Who cares about losing at Indian Wells and Miami, if that results in him winning Wimbledon or US open or both. Good attitude.

So, Murray thinks he's Federer?

kingdaddy41788
03-29-2010, 02:35 PM

I respectfully disagree. I don't see anything about Murray that would imply that he's as good as Agassi...

Rhino
03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
No, like I said - I'm just a tennis messageboard guy too:

Well I think it's just a simple case of a bunch of tennis fans who have not yet fallen out of love with bashing Murray.

TheTruth
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Many players go through a stage like this. It will take some soul searching and some good wins to get over this, but I have no doubt that it will pass.

Agree. I see this as temporary. If we went back and looked at every players' transcript we would see such words during bleak periods too.

Murray is a talent and I hope he comes back. Soon.

TheTruth
03-29-2010, 02:54 PM

^^^
This

That's the worst thing about Wimbledon is listening to Sue Mott. A nasty, horrid woman with the most disparaging remarks. She's still making nasty cracks about Henman, long retired, so it does show what Murray has to deal with. Somehow, he has to find a way to free himself from a nation's expectations. Poor chap.

The Edberg
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
22 years old, just really began his career, and has already fallen out of love? Wow.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm falling out of love with tennis as well.... low quality lately...

abraxas21
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM

NOT TRUE. I've heard people repeat this falsehood so many times that it's getting a bit irritating :)

What Agassi actually said is that he hated tennis for a period of his life.

TheTruth
03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I think Murray's extremely talented but there's no golden tennis bible that states all players must be perfectly-rounded, balanced individuals.

I think he's great, not just because of his skill, but because he also has some flaws. He's human.

It isn't as simple as 'manning up'. None of us here have any idea what goes through his head, what psychological quirks he may have.

It isn't as black & white as: Player has x talent, if player doesn't achieve y with x talent, player = failure. Only the simple-minded and shallow ever have that view of sportsmen & women.

When he does eventually win a slam, I'll be cheering more than anyone. Not just because he deserves to, but because he clearly has some other issues that have an impact on how he approaches the game, and therefore represent a constant hurdle to him.

I wish people here opened their minds a little bit.

^^^
Excellent post.Too many great points to go into. Suffice it to say, you nailed it.

Success is not just black and white. Many seem to think winning is the only measure of success. Murray may be going through a tough time, but it can also be his redeemer. All the greats had periods such as this and losses that spurred them on to greater things. Unfortunately, some people can only see an end result and none of the things that went into it. It is a view without much depth.

TheTruth
03-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Great post!

*Val*
03-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, and we've all fallen out of love with you Murray (though it'd be hard to be in love with your tennis in the first place!!)

Rhino
03-29-2010, 03:29 PM
NOT TRUE. I've heard people repeat this falsehood so many times that it's getting a bit irritating :)

What Agassi actually said is that he hated tennis for a period of his life.

Well I read the book, and I lost count of how many times he said that he hated tennis. It felt like almost every chapter.

David L
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1261390/Andy-Murray-worry-admits-Ive-fallen-love-tennis.html
Looks like burnout. Murray works so hard off court and his game is quite taxing, which makes it hard to sustain that kind of effort for any length of time. The guy has practically tried everything to compete and gain top position, but is finding it very difficult to sustain. It does not help that he has been thwarted twice at the final hurdle of a major by Federer. Motivation does take a hit when you put in the effort, but do not get rewarded on a scale you believe justifies that effort. I think we are starting to see how remarkable Federer is. Before, people were saying how much better Djokovic and Murray were than players from Federer's generation, but this was never really the case. They simply had freshness on their side, being the younger group. Safin, Hewitt, Nalbandian etc, were every bit as good and better, but it's not easy to keep it up, as we are now seeing.

Talker
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Murray is just down on himself, maybe needs a break.
He set his goals high and couldn't meet them, it's demoralizing.
There's no doubt he worked hard, worked on fitness and his game, when that isn't enough it's a major blow to confidence.
Time will take some of the edge off, how long is the question.
He needs only to look at some other players who have gone through the same thing, put it in a positive perspective and get back to working.

OJ ROD
03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.murraysworld.com/img/content/andy-murray-french-open.jpg

Morrissey
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM

What the hell are you talking about? A guy who's never won a slam and has only been to 2 slam finals is not in any position to not care about anything but slams. Maybe he can win at least 5 Grand Slams before he can think about "taking off" the smaller Masters Series events. :roll: If Murray is this delusional & egotistical then I wish for him to keep this slump and his attitude well into retirement.

Morrissey
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Murray is just down on himself, maybe needs a break.
He set his goals high and couldn't meet them, it's demoralizing.
There's no doubt he worked hard, worked on fitness and his game, when that isn't enough it's a major blow to confidence.
Time will take some of the edge off, how long is the question.
He needs only to look at some other players who have gone through the same thing, put it in a positive perspective and get back to working.

Murray is following the same path that Joker followed somewhere in 2009. The realization that he won't achieve the same things as Nadal & Federer.

Mustard
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/mikro112/64c3d2bf.jpg

Sorry mate, nobody in the UK calls their mother "mom". That's strictly American and Canadian.

;)

oy vey
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
He needs to stop with his bikram yoga, sprints, long distance running, running through sand dunes and whatever other crazy things he does. He needs to relax, consider the clay season lost and start fresh with grass.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry mate, nobody in the UK calls their mother "mom". That's strictly American and Canadian.

;)

moooooooottttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr rrrr

rommil
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
moooooooottttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr rrrr

Mum.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkp4QF3we8

rommil
03-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Well there's that ( Murray needs to address this, tell the press to sod off ) and the fact that Murray still needs to incorporate more offense into his arsenal.

rafan
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Go Murray!

The press can be very unkind here in the Uk. When he lost at Wimbledon against Rafa they really slated him. Beforehand he was the greatest player of all time. He has to address this rubbish and place it where it should be - in the trash can

Feńa14
03-30-2010, 12:24 AM
The press can be very unkind here in the Uk. When he lost at Wimbledon against Rafa they really slated him. Beforehand he was the greatest player of all time. He has to address this rubbish and place it where it should be - in the trash can

Really?

The match in the round before when he beat Gasquet is the one that people see as Murray's breakthrough. I don't think anyone was calling him "the greatest player of all time" before the Nadal match by any stretch of the imagination.

Lotto
03-30-2010, 12:45 AM

His "collapse" being Federer giving him a lesson in tennis. Even if Murray had played his A++ game and was zoning he wouldn't have won those first two sets. Second set Federer lapsed a bit but grinded it out.

Jasmin_Warren
03-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Agreed. Thing is, Agassi could still play incredible tennis while hating it. Murray apparently cannot.

You're right! Cos if he can, then he wouldn't mentioned those things written in the link above. How I wish his love for tennis will soon get back so he could continue defending the British team.

batz
03-30-2010, 02:56 AM
What the hell are you talking about? A guy who's never won a slam and has only been to 2 slam finals is not in any position to not care about anything but slams. Maybe he can win at least 5 Grand Slams before he can think about "taking off" the smaller Masters Series events. :roll: If Murray is this delusional & egotistical then I wish for him to keep this slump and his attitude well into retirement.

He's won 4 MS titles and ten other ATP titles, including the perceived 'big one' in Miami. He's been in 2 slam finals and been number 2 in the world. There is only 1, maybe 2 things left on his 'to-do' list.

Murray won six titles in 2009, made number 2 and ended the year in the top 4 - but didn't win a slam. He won 5 titles in 2008, ended the year top 4 - but didn't win a slam. If he won 10 titles this year but not a slam, guys like you would be ****ging him off for it. If he wins 1 slam this year and doesn't get past the QFs in any masters/500/250 event - he'll have had his best season ever. His whole approach this season has been amended to focus on the slams - he said so before a ball was hit.

For the record - I don't much like seeing him getting humped by Mardy Fish and Robin Soderling. But if that's what it takes for him to win a slam then so be it.

Does this help you comprehend why Murray, might, just might - not be as focused for non-slam events this year as he has been in the past?

paulorenzo
03-30-2010, 03:22 AM
he does manage his career for himself, he and his family have made some brave decisions, such as his move to spain and his split from brad gilbert, and i'd say each one has been vindicated by the progress he's made.

but these kinds of interviews give greater insight into something that has always been apparent on court- a sense of entitlement. he hates losing in a way that suggests he's a negatively motivated player- he fears losing, rather than loving winning. when he misses a ball his body language is awful, as if he wants to let everyone know that he should have made the shot he's just missed, that he somehow has been deprived of making it by something outside his own skillset. he has to man up indeed, knuckle down and stop giving interviews that demonstrate how far he still has to come mentally to win a slam.

i'm not saying he'll never win one though. it's just that at the AO federer was absolutely incredible against him. it'll need a minor but significant attitude change for him to take the next step.
great observation, i feel the same way about his demeanor on court. it's as if he show's the negative attitude to let everyone know that he is aware he messed up and could have done better.

it's comparable to that friend we all have that is too hard and critical of himself/herself because he feels guilty about messing up, albeit a slight mess up.

Mm10
03-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Yeah I think it is understandable. You always play better if you're enjoying it...

TheMagicianOfPrecision
03-30-2010, 03:29 AM
He's won 4 MS titles and ten other ATP titles, including the perceived 'big one' in Miami. He's been in 2 slam finals and been number 2 in the world. There is only 1, maybe 2 things left on his 'to-do' list.

Murray won six titles in 2009, made number 2 and ended the year in the top 4 - but didn't win a slam. He won 5 titles in 2008, ended the year top 4 - but didn't win a slam. If he won 10 titles this year but not a slam, guys like you would be ****ging him off for it. If he wins 1 slam this year and doesn't get past the QFs in any masters/500/250 event - he'll have had his best season ever. His whole approach this season has been amended to focus on the slams - he said so before a ball was hit.

For the record - I don't much like seeing him getting humped by Mardy Fish and Robin Soderling. But if that's what it takes for him to win a slam then so be it.

Does this help you comprehend why Murray, might, just might - not be as focused for non-slam events this year as he has been in the past?

With all due respect batz, being "humped" by Soderling on fire isnt anything to be ashamed of, Mardy Fish though is another story, but that happened to Federer aswell at his lowest points, maybe thats a sign?

batz
03-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by fps

great observation, i feel the same way about his demeanor on court. it's as if he show's the negative attitude to let everyone know that he is aware he messed up and could have done better.

it's comparable to that friend we all have that is too hard and critical of himself/herself because he feels guilty about messing up, albeit a slight mess up.

Agree with both points. Murray said only a few months ago that he needed to learn to love winning more than he hates losing.

Very insightful point FPS.

batz
03-30-2010, 03:35 AM
With all due respect batz, being "humped" by Soderling on fire isnt anything to be ashamed of, Mardy Fish though is another story, but that happened to Federer aswell at his lowest points, maybe thats a sign?

Good point TMOP. I didn't mean to be disparaging to Robin S. He was pretty awesome in that 1st set v Murray.:(

rovex
03-30-2010, 03:38 AM

Come back when Nadal wins a title which (to remind you) is nearing a year.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
03-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Good point TMOP. I didn't mean to be disparaging to Robin S. He was pretty awesome in that 1st set v Murray.:(

That`s OK, i personally would love to see Murray regroup and start playing the way he can again and Im sure he will, still only 22 years old, he really got all my respect after that AO-final and I like him a lot more than Djokovic and Nadal.

SempreSami
03-30-2010, 03:50 AM

The only people who throw around that stupid greatest of all time bollocks (or goat since the mongs like acronyms) are the nonces on here.

rafan
03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Really?

The match in the round before when he beat Gasquet is the one that people see as Murray's breakthrough. I don't think anyone was calling him "the greatest player of all time" before the Nadal match by any stretch of the imagination.

To many of the people who do not play tennis here but are guided by the dismal media that is how he seems. Many of them do not follow the circuit as we do. Wimbledon is the (and only event for some) time they come alive and take an interest

Anaconda
03-30-2010, 10:02 AM

I love how people treat Mardy Fish as a grub on this forum. The Guy was/is still the most talented player (ahead of Blake IMO) the USA have had for a long time. Most people probably didn't watch the Indian Wells match; Federer v Fish - when Fish played awsome with his FH and was hitting BH DTL after BH DTL. Federer didn't play bad he played well. Of course, Feddie fans can't except the fact that Federer's opponent actually played a good match.

In regards to Murray's attitude, most guys would feel sick to death losing a slam finals to the same person you have a great shot at beating. Murray should take a few weeks of IMO if he's falling out of love with the game.

Annika
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I can believe him if he says he's fallen out of love with tennis. I think many pros go through that stage. He needs a break and then come back.

onyxrose81
03-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I love how people treat Mardy Fish as a grub on this forum. The Guy was/is still the most talented player (ahead of Blake IMO) the USA have had for a long time. Most people probably didn't watch the Indian Wells match; Federer v Fish - when Fish played awsome with his FH and was hitting BH DTL after BH DTL. Federer didn't play bad he played well. Of course, Feddie fans can't except the fact that Federer's opponent actually played a good match.

In regards to Murray's attitude, most guys would feel sick to death losing a slam finals to the same person you have a great shot at beating. Murray should take a few weeks of IMO if he's falling out of love with the game.

Thank you. Mardy has the tools to beat anyone. Unfortunately, he's never been healthy for longer than a two-match stretch.

Both Djoko and Murray need to talk to Roddick. He's the epitome of "I have the weight of my country on my shoulder, I only won one slam and I'm considered a failure". Andy had far more expectations to live up to, his career is winding down and quite frankly he was never as talented as Mole and Murray. Those two still have loads of time to get slams ( in Djoko's case, another). They just need to learn to deal.

Emelia21
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Perhaps he needs a long break, get into the real world and work on a building site for a couple of months, I am sure his love for the game of tennis will come back to him.

SempreSami
03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Perhaps he needs a long break, get into the real world and work on a building site for a couple of months, I am sure his love for the game of tennis will come back to him.

How about a compromise? He stays in tennis but does a Rocky IV style training regime where he runs through snow and lifts wood instead of going to a cozy gym in Miami.

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Call of Duty can do that to a player.

Chopin
03-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Excellent point.

matchmaker
03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, don't play if you have fallen out of love with tennis.

120mphBodyServe
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Andy Murray has to move out of the UK and avoid the mental garbage the stupid bloody press are dumping on him.

Mustard
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Murray's constant moanings about Davis Cup are really annoying. He'd do better to have the attitude of a Muster, Hewitt or Becker on this matter and throw himself into the ties.

CMM
04-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I hope he finds his form soon. I like him.