PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Gaines

Shaolin
02-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Gaines--
Ive been meaning to make this post for a while, just havent for some reason.

On the old board you quoted the Physics of Tennis as saying that a tighter tension will yield 5% more spin than lower tension (all things being otherwise equal). I have long thought that a higher tension would give more spin but never had anything well researched and documented to back it up. I did not know that info was in Physics of Tennis, and not knowing that for certain was irritating as I could not give my students an answer I was 100% certain of, and I wanted to know for myself as well, as Im a player that hits with heavy spin on most shots. So, thank you very much for that info.

I was wondering also, as I dont have that book(yet), the tensions used in the racquets in that study? Also, is there evidence of more spin when stringing mains tighter than crosses?

Gaines Hillix
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
Shaolin, the book says there are 3 rules about spin;

1) The faster you hit the ball the faster the ball will spin.

2) The strings don't make much difference.

3) Maximum spin occurs at an angle of incidence near 40 degrees.

String gauge doesn't seem to make much difference in static tests either. Tests were done with various gauges of strings at different ball speeds and the difference was small. Here's the rub. Similarly to the arguement about the power created by different strings and tensions, one person's small amount is another's big difference on the court. I personally believe thinner gauge strings in an open patterned racquet at higher tension create the most spin. But, racquet head speed and the angle of the stringbed to the ball when struck are still the biggest factors, IMO.

Shaolin
02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Interesting, I though 45 degrees got you the most spin....thanks again for the info.

I must buy that book.

Steve Huff
02-24-2004, 12:27 PM
I think that is why a tighter string job "seems" to produce more spin. If you're trying to hit to the same spot on the court, you have to swing a little harder with tighter strings to get the same distance. By swinging harder, you create more head speed, and thereby, more spin. As a note, I took out an old, wood racket yesterday, strung at 53# with 15g Sports Pal Stranded Nylon. I oculdn't believe the topspin I got. But, as you can guess, I had to swing a lot harder with that racket. On the other hand, when I served, a shot where I swing about as hard as I can anyway, I got less spin. Also, I think it would show that a lower powered racket would produce more spin. You have to swing harder, or hit at a higher angle, to get the ball to land in the same spot.

K. Wilson Moose
02-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Steve, that is interesting. A while back, as a joke, I whipped out an old Wilson World Class (the one endorsed by Rosewall in the 70s) strung with 15g nylon. It has something like a 75si head. I was amazed at the spin I was generating. I agree that it must be that we are generating more racquet head speed to get depth.