PDA

View Full Version : Good. Cheap. Multi.

clxtennis
03-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I was wondering what the best multi's for under 10 bucks a pack (or preferably a reel around $80) are. The only multi I've ever really tried was Gamma Pro. I really liked it, but at 20 dollars a pack, a little too rich for my blood.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Power Player
03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch is the answer here.

edberger
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Pro Supex Maxim Touch is the answer here.

i second that. MT is a great value string.

meowmix
03-29-2010, 11:10 AM
It's pretty much the only multi in your price range for reels.

Valjean
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Alpha Gut 2000 @ $5.90/package; comes in 16, 17 and 18 gauges.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Alpha_Gut_2000_16_String/descpageACALPHA-AG200016.html

mikeler
03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Buy MT in the reel, it is less than $6 per string job versus $8 per pack.

supineAnimation
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Rip Control.

clxtennis
03-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Do you guys think Maxim Touch offers "worth-it" benefits over a synthetic like Gosen OG Micro? I've tried finding some reviews on Maxim Touch, but didn't really find any. Any comparisons to other strings?

Thanks.

mikeler
03-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Do you guys think Maxim Touch offers "worth-it" benefits over a synthetic like Gosen OG Micro? I've tried finding some reviews on Maxim Touch, but didn't really find any. Any comparisons to other strings?

Thanks.

I've used both Gosen OG Micro 17g and Maxim Touch 17g. The Gosen lasted me 14 games in my old light stiff oversized frame 16 x 19 pattern. Now that I'm trying to protect my arm, I'm using a heavier player's frame with 16 x 20 pattern. At 55 pounds, the MT was lasting me about 11 sets. At 59 pounds, I'm getting about 7 sets out of it.

The Gosen has a very crisp almost plastic feel to it. It played too stiff for my taste. MT is extremely soft. You can feel the ball pocketing in the string. It has way more power than the Gosen. A low powered player's frame helps balance out the power of the MT. If you string your own, the MT is the easiest string I've ever worked with.

sstchur
03-30-2010, 08:21 AM
I've used both Gosen OG Micro 17g and Maxim Touch 17g. The Gosen lasted me 14 games in my old light stiff oversized frame 16 x 19 pattern. Now that I'm trying to protect my arm, I'm using a heavier player's frame with 16 x 20 pattern. At 55 pounds, the MT was lasting me about 11 sets. At 59 pounds, I'm getting about 7 sets out of it.

The Gosen has a very crisp almost plastic feel to it. It played too stiff for my taste. MT is extremely soft. You can feel the ball pocketing in the string. It has way more power than the Gosen. A low powered player's frame helps balance out the power of the MT. If you string your own, the MT is the easiest string I've ever worked with.

I agree with all the other posters here. MT is a great soft, economically priced string. Great ball pocketing and very arm friendly.

I use a full bed of it at around 58lbs (lock out machine) in my Fischer M Pro One 98. It's great!

stanfordtennis alum
03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
would have to go with pro supex maxim touch here

mikeler
03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with all the other posters here. MT is a great soft, economically priced string. Great ball pocketing and very arm friendly.

I use a full bed of it at around 58lbs (lock out machine) in my Fischer M Pro One 98. It's great!

Forgot to mention that I also string on a lockout machine.

clxtennis
03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Maxim Touch. Do you guys recommend the 16g or the 17g? I prefer 17g, but don't know if durability is an issue with the 17g. I would be using this string with mostly junior girls that don't tend to break strings all that often.

Thanks.

Standupnfall
03-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I find the 17g MT to be oddly durable. I still haven't broken it at 58 or 60 (Wise2086 constant pull) in my Ki5's and each must be going on 5+ sets by now.

I am not a major string breaker but would usually break syn gut after about 5 sets or so.

Don S
03-30-2010, 02:39 PM
TW doesn't have this string?? Or am I just missing it among 8000 other strings?

mikeler
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM
TW doesn't have this string?? Or am I just missing it among 8000 other strings?

TW does not sell Pro Supex :(

mikeler
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Maxim Touch. Do you guys recommend the 16g or the 17g? I prefer 17g, but don't know if durability is an issue with the 17g. I would be using this string with mostly junior girls that don't tend to break strings all that often.

Thanks.

Go 17g to start with.

Keifers
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM

Thanks.
For people who don't break strings often, I would definitely recommend the 17g.

Let us know how they react to it -- because I've actually found that MT is a lower-powered multi than, say, NXT or Yonex 850. Superb pocketing, ball feel and control. Outstanding performance and value at its price.

clxtennis
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if it would make any sense to hybrid the multi with a synthetic? Or does that defeat the purpose?

Keifers
03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Why would you hybrid?

mikeler
03-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if it would make any sense to hybrid the multi with a synthetic? Or does that defeat the purpose?

If you buy a reel of the MT, the price comes out to about $6/racket. A decent synthetic gut is usually around $4/racket unless you buy the Gosen which I did not like at all. So pricewise, it is not a big difference. My recommendation would be not to hybrid.

clxtennis
03-31-2010, 06:29 PM
If you buy a reel of the MT, the price comes out to about $6/racket. A decent synthetic gut is usually around $4/racket unless you buy the Gosen which I did not like at all. So pricewise, it is not a big difference. My recommendation would be not to hybrid.

Figured it wouldn't be a good idea. The idea behind using a hybrid was just to make it cheaper.

Thanks for the input.

Donny0627
04-06-2010, 06:33 AM
It's about 11 dollars, but Bab. Addiction has always worked great for me.

coolblue123
04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Has anyone used Golden Set Maximal? I think it's a very soft mutli as well.

clxtennis
07-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Got the reel of Maxim Touch 17 and have strung it on my racquet twice. Both times at 58.

String felt stiff and no feel. The OG Micro 17 feels superior to it. Am I stringing too low? Too high? Using a Pure Drive Roddick.

Any suggestions?

GPB
07-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Got the reel of Maxim Touch 17 and have strung it on my racquet twice. Both times at 58.

String felt stiff and no feel. The OG Micro 17 feels superior to it. Am I stringing too low? Too high? Using a Pure Drive Roddick.

Any suggestions?

If you think it's stiff with no feel, drop it a bit lower. Also, there's nothing wrong with hybriding synthetic guts with multis, though I'd try to get a good feel for the MT by itself before mixing it with your OG Micro.

athiker
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM

Any suggestions?

I felt the same re: Maxim Touch. I haven't tried as many strings as a lot here but have played some syn guts and poly hybrids and in the full multi camp Pro Supex MT (original), Wilson NXT, Head Rip Control, Tech X-One Biphase and Tech Multifeel. The NXT was ok, didn't like the Rip Control much, also didn't care for the Biphase until lately. It took a looong time to break in and stop feeling boardy. To me it now feels, after numerous sets, like Technifibre Multifeel does from the start.

So my rec. would be to try a set of Technifibre Multifeel 16; it comes in under the $10 threshold at $9.50 a set on TW. If you like it reels are around...don't see them at TW though.

mikeler
07-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Any suggestions?

When did you purchase your reel? You may have gotten the new version which has not gotten great reviews. If so, you are eligible for 6 sets of the old Maxim Touch and you can keep your reel. The old or "classic" version is great for my golfer's elbow.

The Dampener
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Any suggestions?

Mike's right. This sounds like the new stuff. It does feel a bit stiff, particularly in comparison to the old MT. And if it begins to fray on you, it's definitely the new stuff.

clxtennis
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
When did you purchase your reel? You may have gotten the new version which has not gotten great reviews. If so, you are eligible for 6 sets of the old Maxim Touch and you can keep your reel. The old or "classic" version is great for my golfer's elbow.

How can I get the 6 sets? Thanks.

I bought it a month or two ago.

clxtennis
07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Mike's right. This sounds like the new stuff. It does feel a bit stiff, particularly in comparison to the old MT. And if it begins to fray on you, it's definitely the new stuff.

I can't remember if it frays or not.

Any word if they will switch back to the old stuff?

mikeler
07-16-2010, 11:17 AM
The old 16g is already back in packs. The old 17g along with reels of both the old 16g and old 17g will be in stock in the middle of August. Somebody posted a link to the 6 free sets deal, you'll have to try and find it with the search function.

The Dampener
07-16-2010, 12:29 PM
The old 16g is already back in packs. The old 17g along with reels of both the old 16g and old 17g will be in stock in the middle of August. Somebody posted a link to the 6 free sets deal, you'll have to try and find it with the search function.

Apparently this offer is only valid if you haven't cracked open your reel. If you have, no dice. I suppose it can't hurt to try (but tread lightly if you do ;) ).

clxtennis
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Apparently this offer is only valid if you haven't cracked open your reel. If you have, no dice. I suppose it can't hurt to try (but tread lightly if you do ;) ).

I'll try. You never know.

Anyone know how to tell the difference from the old and the new? Is there a difference in color? Markings? Label?

The Dampener
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I'll try. You never know.

Actually, I do. But it's a long, ugly story.

Anyone know how to tell the difference from the old and the new? Is there a difference in color? Markings? Label?

I've read reports of different packaging, but mine was the same as the original (and there was no indication from the print that the string was any different from the original formulation).

clxtennis
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Actually, I do. But it's a long, ugly story.

Care sharing a bit about the story just to see what I'm getting myself into?