PDA

View Full Version : Tennis lacking intensity

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I finally watched the Sampras/Agassi/Fed/Nadal exho, half on mute. I just didn't want to watch any awkwardness.

But then it occurred to me. In the 80s and 90s there was some intensity to tennis. Players didn't like each other or there was more competitive spirit.

Nowadays there seems to be a lot of politeness and it's just too nice overall. In one way, it's good but in another way it takes away a lot of the fire and fun of what tennis could be.

So in that way, I did like this video.

forzamilan90
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
lol that's bs, a player must not like/respect the other player for it to be intense? it's one thing to act like a d-bag another to give it your all and put your soul into the game for the better of the sport.

joeri888
03-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I guess I like some disliking, but not in an exhibition. It should be over after the match. But a guy like Roddick is great at this. he can really hate a guy like Federer on court and say only nice things and have fun when not in a big match. That's how it should be.

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah I suppose so. I didn't think it was bad and it just brought me back to the 90s

Blinkism
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Ledigs, I somewhat agree with you.

I enjoy the fact that Federer-Nadal are actually respectful of each other, but want nothing but to make the other guy suffer on the court
(and then apologize afterwards :lol:)
they are 100% professional and ultra-competitive

But, if you want animosity, you've got Federer-Murray. I truly believe they really don't like each other.

It used to be like that with Djokovic-Federer, but they've cooled off.

And, ofcourse, Nadal-Soderling is always intense.