PDA

View Full Version : Roger called Berdych an "underachiever"

Riosfan
03-29-2010, 03:44 PM
He didn't say it with disrespect but he did call Berdych an underachiever on the post match TV interview with Justin Gimelstob and Ted Robinson. Will be interesting to see how Berdych responds as it might give him some extra incentive.

Remember when Agassi called Spadea a "journeyman" and that according to Spadea lit a fire in him and he later beat Agassi in the Australian Open.

Berdych is one helluva player and has been so close to beating Federer since the 2004 Olympics. This could be a really good match. Federer looked amazing at times today with Serra but also a little complacent at times too. Federer could be ripe for an upset if Berdych steps up and doesn't choke again like he has many times.

Ledigs
03-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I think Berdych can be really good. I hope he gets to his potential.

Nadal_Power
03-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Looking for a good match and victory for Tomas

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Berdych 6-2 6-7 [8] 6-4

forzamilan90
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM
another casualty

rossi46
03-29-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Berdych can be really good. I hope he gets to his potential.

He is a very good player, but unfortunately his problems are all between his ears.

abraxas21
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
i remember a few years back federer saying that nalby was done and a few months laters he was losing to nalby in the tennis masters cup final in a five setter.

better stay quiet, roger!

anointedone
03-29-2010, 04:07 PM
He didn't say it with disrespect but he did call Berdych an underachiever on the post match TV interview with Justin Gimelstob and Ted Robinson. Will be interesting to see how Berdych responds as it might give him some extra incentive.

Remember when Agassi called Spadea a "journeyman" and that according to Spadea lit a fire in him and he later beat Agassi in the Australian Open.

Berdych is one helluva player and has been so close to beating Federer since the 2004 Olympics. This could be a really good match. Federer looked amazing at times today with Serra but also a little complacent at times too. Federer could be ripe for an upset if Berdych steps up and doesn't choke again like he has many times.

Berdych has been destroyed nearly every single time he played Federer since that tank resembling joke that was the 2004 Olympics. Their only "close' match since then was the Australian Open one last year. Berdych does not usually choke vs Federer, he almost always gets easily outplayed and outclassed.

Federer doesnt seem to even care about these best of 3 tournaments anymore though so I guess anything can happen.

As for underachiever I dont think he is a big one. He isnt that good, a one dimensional ball basher.

Ocean Drive
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I laugh at people who say "ball basher"

Like it's more difficult to tap the ball in court or something...

decades
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Roger has always been very tactful....

OrangeOne
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
For crying out loud, it's a compliment. It's saying that he has extreme talent, and hasn't converted it to results as often as he should....

Agassifan
03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Being called an underachiever is actually a compliment... unless it is said AFTER you retire.

anointedone
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I laugh at people who say "ball basher"

Like it's more difficult to tap the ball in court or something...

That would work for guys who can actually ball bash and still keep it in the court.

aldeayeah
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Berdych is a bit young to call him an underachiever IMO.

P_Agony
03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
For crying out loud, it's a compliment. It's saying that he has extreme talent, and hasn't converted it to results as often as he should....

That's what I thought when I read it. People are strange.

jamesblakefan#1
03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Berdych is a bit young to call him an underachiever IMO.

24 is ancient in tennis years. And up to this pt, he has been an underaciever. Look at what Nadal's accomplished and he's only 23. Not saying Berdych should be on that level, just putting it into perspective. Hell even Murray and Djokovic are only 22 and people are already writing them off.

aldeayeah
03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, but ball bashers often age better than grinders. This year Berdych could become a contender like Soderling did last year (when he was 24 too).

Jonny S&V
03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
24 is ancient in tennis years. And up to this pt, he has been an underaciever. Look at what Nadal's accomplished and he's only 23. Not saying Berdych should be on that level, just putting it into perspective. Hell even Murray and Djokovic are only 22 and people are already writing them off.

James Blake? Wayne Arthurs? Agassi didn't win his first slam til he was 23, Lendl, Ivanisevic? I could go on...

jamesblakefan#1
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
James Blake? Wayne Arthurs? Agassi didn't win his first slam til he was 23, Lendl, Ivanisevic? I could go on...

Up to this point, Berdych has been an underachiever. After he beat Fed at the 04 Olympics people were expecting big things from him. Could he turn it around? Anything is possible, but as of now he has been an underachiever.

Rhino
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I always thought it was weird that Berdych hasn't done a lot better.

Morrissey
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't know if I put him in the same underachiever category as Nalbandian. I suppose he could have done better in the slams more often or at all. But it is what it is.

Morrissey
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM

I dunno, but let's keep Agassi out of it when referring to any other player who peaks late or wins slams well into their 30's. Agassi was one of the most (if not the most) unique tennis player and especially the most unique tennis career I've ever seen.

AM95
03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
pshycological warfare much

NamRanger
03-29-2010, 05:50 PM

What, 24 is ancient? What is Federer than, a dinosaur? Roddick's father time? Yet those two are the guys still consistently, year in and year out contending for slams (Roddick had a blip in 2008 where he didn't make a deep run, but still managed a QF at the USO).

Different players also age differently. Players who are defensive minded, and tend to play longer rallies hit their primes earlier as their game relies on athleticism and being very physical with their opponents. Sometimes attacking minded players take awhile to put things together. Granted Agassi did win a slam fairly early on, but the guy didn't win another slam for awhile after the first one, because he needed to put things together.

OrangeOne
03-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Rafter won the US open at 24 & 25, he made the finals of Wimbledon at 27 & 28. There is still time, though it's not the normal way, there is still time....

Jonny S&V
03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I dunno, but let's keep Agassi out of it when referring to any other player who peaks late or wins slams well into their 30's. Agassi was one of the most (if not the most) unique tennis player and especially the most unique tennis career I've ever seen.

Yeah, I realized that about 3 minutes after I posted, just too lazy to go back and edit. Rafter would've been a better example...

VilasFan
03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Roger knows that Berdych is susceptible to mind games, self-doubt etc.. He is simply laying the groundwork for Berdych...making sure that Berdych understands that the 5-setter at the Australian last year is the closest "taste" Berdych will get from that point forward. It's brilliant! If Berdych comes out with his hair on fire and gets a nice lead on Fed, I GUARANTEE Berdych will choke it away. GUARANTEED! Fed is the master of the mind game. Fed's already playing the match...

davey25
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Roger knows that Berdych is susceptible to mind games, self-doubt etc.. He is simply laying the groundwork for Berdych...making sure that Berdych understands that the 5-setter at the Australian last year is the closest "taste" Berdych will get from that point forward. It's brilliant! If Berdych comes out with his hair on fire and gets a nice lead on Fed, I GUARANTEE Berdych will choke it away. GUARANTEED! Fed is the master of the mind game. Fed's already playing the match...

You make it sound as if Federer even cares enough about best of 3 events, or is worried enough about Berdych to bother with any of that. I doubt either is the case.

aldeayeah
03-29-2010, 06:33 PM
It does sounds like he's playing mind games. If it wasn't Federer, I'd think he was doing it on purpose.

World Beater
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
lol...

federer doesnt need to play "mind games" with tomas.

you act as if his tennis isnt good enough to beat the best so he has to resort to these tactics, as if he hasnt proved time and time again...

Bartelby
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
I think if Federer really knew English backwards, he would have said 'Berdych has yet to realize his full potential'. I don't quite think he understands that ' underachiever' is derogatory.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Woah, Bart, I've never seen you here before

Bartelby
03-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I never used to be a rant and raver, but the tennis sections got a bit boring. My ranting career might be coming to a close, you may be glad to know, as there are only so many variations upon political themes.

Woah, Bart, I've never seen you here before

davey25
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
lol...

federer doesnt need to play "mind games" with tomas.

you act as if his tennis isnt good enough to beat the best so he has to resort to these tactics, as if he hasnt proved time and time again...

as if Tomas even constitutes one of the best either.

bjorn23
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Berdych has almost as much talent as Soderling. He's a pretty similar player.

Blinkism
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Oooh trash talking from the master :)

Hopefully this does get Berdy fired up, but it won't be an interesting match if Fed plays like he did against Serra. And he might.

Tomi's got a win over him (Olympics), took a set off Fed in the Halle final on grass, and took Federer to 5 sets just recently at the AO in 2009.

Berdy's been playing decent tennis recently and Fed's attitude towards Masters tourney's has been so-so. BUT Fed is one of those players who can just *click* and turn it on, just like that.

Not sure if Berdych winning would qualify as an upset, though. He's firmly in the Top 20 (and has been for a while), still competing for titles, and capable of good tennis on hardcourts.

Fed's obviously a solid favorite. Hopefully, a ripper of a match.

Justin Side
03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Not sure if Berdych winning would qualify as an upset

I am. It does.

Blinkism
03-29-2010, 08:13 PM
I am. It does.

At a slam, for sure. But, I dunno.... at a Masters?

Would anyone be really shocked, after the last few seasons, to see Fed give a half-arsed effort at a Master's tourney- especially one that isn't in preparation for any slam, in particular?

If Feddy gives a 100% effort and loses, yeah - it's an upset. But if he plays like he did against Serra, and loses, it's mostly meaningless. A good result for Berdy, then. Hopefully, that's not how it goes down, though.

joeri888
03-30-2010, 12:10 AM
Fed's variety usually kills Berdych in the end, but in best of 3, he's got a good chance. If I had to guess, my pick would be Berdych in 3 atm.

reversef
03-30-2010, 06:42 AM
What, 24 is ancient? What is Federer than, a dinosaur? Roddick's father time? Yet those two are the guys still consistently, year in and year out contending for slams (Roddick had a blip in 2008 where he didn't make a deep run, but still managed a QF at the USO).

Different players also age differently. Players who are defensive minded, and tend to play longer rallies hit their primes earlier as their game relies on athleticism and being very physical with their opponents. Sometimes attacking minded players take awhile to put things together. Granted Agassi did win a slam fairly early on, but the guy didn't win another slam for awhile after the first one, because he needed to put things together.

Agassi had the kind of game to peak early. His problem was his head and his lack of focus. I personally think this is the reason why he had such good results at such an "old" age despite the obvious back pain. Many players would have stopped way before, but he felt ashamed because he knew he had wasted his potential. Don't forget that Agassi was actually an early bloomer in the game.

jrod
03-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Fed's variety usually kills Berdych in the end, but in best of 3, he's got a good chance. If I had to guess, my pick would be Berdych in 3 atm.

I agree with this. Fed should be capable of driving Berdych batty with his variety of pace, spin, depth, etc. However, at the moment Federer does not appear to even be present. Unless the real Roger shows up, Berdych has a good chance to advance tonight.

swissmiss
03-30-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't think this is Federer trash talking. I think he meant it in a "Berdych has unfulfilled potential way", which I think most people would agree with, including Berdych. I don't think he's playing mind games, just maybe being too honest and not tactful enough. In fact Berdych himself said something to that effect in an interview recently. Don't know if this would get Berdych fired up ... somehow doubt he watched Federer's interview. I think this comment's getting way overblown.

dcdoorknob
03-30-2010, 07:13 AM
I like how Federer often says things that seem derogatory or boastful but are actually 100% true. He's pretty good at that.

valiant
03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I think he meant he is yet to reach his potential.

All-rounder
03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I think he meant he is yet to reach his potential.
This^^^^^^^^^^

But there will always be one to misinterpret

samprasvsfederer123
03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
i hope berdych doesnt prove federer right by actually achieving a win, he might win in 3 sets i dont know but federer is always like ooh im better in 5 sets because gives you more time to think well does that mean that federer has no plan b in 3 setters?

zagor
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Hm,Berdych IS an underachiever,Fed is spot on this time.

Ripster
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
It's obviously a compliment from Federer.

All you have to do is watch Berdych for one match and it's clear he's an underachiever. Effortless power off of both wings, a big serve and a competent volleyer. As far as ground strokes go, he has no weaknesses. His only weaknesses are his movement and his head.

rk_sports
03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Both Agassi and Fed are right on. Period.

charliefedererer
03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I saw the interview. Fed mentioned that after Berdych beat him at the Olympics he thought his career was going to take off. He was very complementary of his game, and I have to agree with the others that his intention was to say that Berdych still has a lot of potential that he hasn't capitalized on yet.

shanked_it
03-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I like how Federer often says things that seem derogatory or boastful but are actually 100% true. He's pretty good at that.

Simon Cowell of tennis :)

samprasvsfederer123
03-30-2010, 05:26 PM

i agree with you except for one thing, 24 is not ancient its just like a mid point

when you get to 26 then you get kinda ancient

jamesblakefan#1
03-30-2010, 06:48 PM
24 is ancient was an exaggeration, but when you consider that most of these guys start on tour at age 18 or even younger in some cases, to not have done anything of major significance at this point in your career usually means you never will more often than not. Guys like Rafter and Ljubicic are usually the exception, not the rule. That was my point.

samster
03-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Let's see who gets the last laugh at the end of the day.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
03-30-2010, 10:21 PM
With the shot making ability Berdych has, when he is on, Federer stated he felt he was an underachiever, meaning...considering that ability, by now, he should have (or might have) achieved much more.

I think so much of the time too many cliques are used, too many "popular" saying and phrases which are translated to or mean different things individually to players, "experts" or others giving commentary or thoughts, then when such is picked up by a news team or group from another country to interpret it to their own way of thinking, and the exact meaning or intention from the initial commentor is lost or seriously skewed. But it gives people on boards like this a reason to argue back and forth and believe its relevant to the players mentioned, and feel themselves important.

davey25
03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Berdych is just a run of the mill top 30 player for the most part. If that is an underachiever depends if one feels he ought to be better than that. I personally dont think, so based on that I dont feel he is an underachiever. It is not like he is that wasted talent like Gasquet who has far more talent than Berdych and is ranked even lower, and unlike Berdych hasnt won a Masters.

abraxas21
03-30-2010, 10:23 PM
i remember a few years back federer saying that nalby was done and a few months laters he was losing to nalby in the tennis masters cup final in a five setter.

better stay quiet, roger!

i rest my case...

thalivest
03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
i rest my case...

What is your case exactly? Federer lost the match tonight, Berdych certainly didnt win it, and I am not even a Federer fan. It has become pretty clear for awhile now any ATP tour regular who plays a half decent match and doesnt choke has an excellent chance to beat Federer in any non slam event these days. That is what Federer's level of tennis in such events has decreased to.

veroniquem
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Ha ha I bet he didn't think Berdych underachieved tonight, did he? :)
Or maybe Berdych listened to him and decided to improve. :twisted:
Outside of slams, I would say Fed has been a big underachiever for about 2 to 3 years. (I wonder if Fed fans would still agree that this is meant as a compliment...)

davey25
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Ha ha I bet he didn't think Berdych underachieved tonight, did he? :)
Or maybe Berdych listened to him and decided to improve. :twisted:
Outside of slams, I would say Fed has been a big underachiever for about 2 to 3 years. (I wonder if Fed fans would still agree that this is meant as a compliment...)

Well seeing as you are one of the people who leaped to Federer's defense in the other thread I would guess you are one of the bigger *******s on this forum. Granted I am not that familiar with you like I am many other posters here so I cant say for sure but that would be my guess. You do have a Nadal avatar so maybe I am wrong, although there are the occasional people who like both.

icedevil0289
03-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Well seeing as you are one of the people who leaped to Federer's defense in the other thread I would guess you are one of the bigger *******s on this forum. Granted I am not that familiar with you like I am many other posters here so I cant say for sure but that would be my guess. You do have a Nadal avatar so maybe I am wrong, although there are the occasional people who like both.

ROFLX10000!!! Veroniquem a *******? HAHAHAH! She's like one of the biggest *********s in this forum. Something tells me when she reads your post she is going to be extremely insulted being labeled as a *******.

davey25
03-30-2010, 10:48 PM
ROFLX10000!!! Veroniquem a *******? HAHAHAH! She's like one of the biggest *********s in this forum. Something tells me when she reads your post she is going to be extremely insulted being labeled as a *******.

Well I dont know her well. I havent encountered her much on this forum and havent read too many of her posts. I do remember arguing with her on a few things earlier this year but dont remember the details. I guess I was wrong on the ******* part, but it seemed like she was defending him strongly in the thread I started earlier about his tankjobs in Masters, and she was one of the first ones in there.

icedevil0289
03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Well I dont know her well. I havent encountered her much on this forum and havent read too many of her posts. I do remember arguing with her on a few things earlier this year but dont remember the details. I guess I was wrong on the ******* part, but it seemed like she was defending him strongly in the thread I started earlier about his tankjobs in Masters, and she was one of the first ones in there.

One doesn't need to be a fan of a player to defend him or her. Like I said in the other thread it's called objectivity. I've defended nadal on a few occasions and I am far from being a fan. Actually imo, saying he doesn't care anymore/tanked is just making excuses for his losses and sounds more *******ish than what veroniquem or those who "defended" him were saying.

davey25
03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
One doesn't need to be a fan of a player to defend him or her. Like I said in the other thread it's called objectivity. I've defended nadal on a few occasions and I am far from being a fan. Actually imo, saying he doesn't care anymore/tanked is just making excuses for his losses and sounds more *******ish than what veroniquem or those who "defended" him were saying.

Well it is not like he is losing to the actually even semi-elite player. He is losing to clowns, guys he proably wont lose to in a slam even when he is 32 (if still playing). I never said I believed he would neccessarily win the events if he wasnt IMO tanking vs the 3rd tier or even journeymen opponents he is losing to. It would be one thing if I said he was tanking after he lost matches to Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick, or the 20 or so others better than the likes of Berdych or Baghdatis (and many of his losses in Masters where he performed so pathetically were to even worse players than those 2 clowns).

DragonBlaze
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Umm, she hates Federer.

And I agree with you veroniquem, Federer has most certainly underachieved in masters the last 2 years. And yes I DO think that is a compliment to him. I really don't see what people see wrong in that comment.

Tina
03-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Interesting!!!

CCNM
03-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Note to Roger-don't let your mouth write checks that your a** can't cash. (Somebody said that to me once when I made a rude comment)

GasquetGOAT
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
To me that sounds like a compliment coming from Fed. I'm sure that was his intention (as a compliment) as well. So chill out haters.

martini1
03-31-2010, 11:16 AM
He almost had Federer in AO 09 but choked. It's about time he gets one, especially it's only 2 out of 3 sets.

GasquetGOAT
03-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Note to Roger-don't let your mouth write checks that your a** can't cash. (Somebody said that to me once when I made a rude comment)

Nothing his *** can't cash here, Birdy would always be an underachiever unless he wins a slam. Fed was right.

Rabbit
03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
To me that sounds like a compliment coming from Fed. I'm sure that was his intention (as a compliment) as well. So chill out haters.

Yeah, I agree. If Federer says he's an "underachiever" that means that Federer thinks Berdych has much more potential. I don't get where the slight is.

*breaksracquet
03-31-2010, 11:20 AM

I don't think your quote applies, Roger's number 1 for those reasons listed above. I do believe berdych is an underachiever as well. He has so many weapons, just not their mentally like Roger is IMO.

Riosfan
03-31-2010, 12:38 PM
a slip of the lip might have sunk the Fed ship. whether he meant it as compliment or jab it doesn't matter. Fed might need to be more diplomatic in assessing rivals games in the future.

Nadal very rarely disses anyone except when he says he didn't play well. Like when Delpo beat him in Miami 2 yrs ago he said neither played well. But then Delpo came into his press conf and disagreed, thought he played a fantastic match.

jackson vile
10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
This really worked for the Birdman, I just wish he would be more competitive.

BLACKOUT
10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Berdych is an underacheiver, but I think now he will maintain top 10 status, top 15 at the worst, and he is a nightmare matchup for the top 4 guys

BLACKOUT
10-31-2010, 11:50 AM
He has wins over Djokovic and Murray in slams, and has wins over Federer, Nadal, Del Potro, Verdasco

Telepatic
10-31-2010, 04:22 PM
and he is a nightmare matchup for the top 4 guys

Not for Nadal though. Probably, vice versa.

flyinghippos101
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Not for Nadal though. Probably, vice versa.

He's a tall big hitter who doesn't have too much difficulty hitting flat and taking high balls.

Nadal no like.