PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar with multi?

mutantducky
03-29-2010, 03:54 PM
anyone try that? I have crossfire and I was wondering if multi would make any difference at all or if the kevlar would just burn through it.

toeknee
03-29-2010, 04:40 PM
AG100- multi on the mains @48 and kevlar on the crosses @45. although it doesnt last as long, its worth it imo.

DownTheLine
03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Isn't that what FXP blend is? If so quite a bit of people use it.

phishua
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Crazy, I was thinking the same thing as well - Ashaway Crossfire 18 comes packed with syngut for the crosses, I was thinking of buying a pack and throwing it in my FXP Prestige MP. I've heard great stuff about kevlar, but also that it breaks easy. I'm not really a string breaker though, so I'll give it a whirl!

GokuQ
03-29-2010, 05:37 PM
i hybrid ashaway 1.10 with prosupex maxim touch 1.25
cheap multi and it does soften up the stringbed more then syn gut

mutantducky
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
that's what I was thinking the Maxim Touch. ok, well I will give it a try. probably start with the package first and then on to multi.

GokuQ
03-29-2010, 05:50 PM
oh and back to the original question, it doesnt go any faster then syn gut(i usually use laserfibre laser lite xl)

mutantducky
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
where should i buy the maxim strings?

GokuQ
03-29-2010, 10:46 PM
only place that sells em is thetennisdepot, formerly known as stringdepot

nabbydian
03-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Isn't that what FXP blend is? If so quite a bit of people use it.

how does the FXP blend plays? there is lots of opinions/comments on Prince Problend and Forten Blend but almost none on the FXP blend :-|

HitItHarder
03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
how does the FXP blend plays? there is lots of opinions/comments on Prince Problend and Forten Blend but almost none on the FXP blend :-|

I have used FXP blend a few times and while I like the feel of the kevlar main, the FXP Power cross just isn't durable enough for my tastes. Plus it seems to drop tension pretty fast. After two rounds of the FXP blend, I switched out the FXP Power with regular FXP and I liked that set up better. Better tension maintenance and better durability. So you may be better off making your own hybrid than relying on a prepackaged one.

As for the kevlar main, I thought the string felt less harsh than the Prince Problend kevlar. The string seemed less stiff, but we are still talking about kevlar. So between the two I prefer the Head version of the kevlar.

JT_2eighty
03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
I've heard great stuff about kevlar, but also that it breaks easy. I'm not really a string breaker though, so I'll give it a whirl!

Kevlar is the most durable string you can find. Anyone who says it breaks easy is trying to say they are some kind of massive hitter, but even if "they" break it easy, then most likely they break every other type of string even easier than that.

I'd just cross it with gut, it's going to be more durable than a multi. Not to mention the playability is unreal with gut cross, even the cheap gut is sufficient. Best all-court setup i've used, and I've tried about every other hybrid combo out there.

JT_2eighty
03-30-2010, 12:12 PM
i hybrid ashaway 1.10 with prosupex maxim touch 1.25
cheap multi and it does soften up the stringbed more then syn gut

I've yet to try maxim as a cross, but I do have a set so I'll give it a whirl next time to compare to my gut cross. I'll go out on a limb and say the gut probably softens it up a bit more than the multi, but still with the great BITE of kevlar. Actually I think because of the gut cross, the kevlar gets to bite into the ball even more than another syn/multi cross. Not to mention the playability would seem to be better for the long term since a gut is not going to break/lose playability like a multi can. (unless you are a massive string breaker).

phishua
03-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Kevlar is the most durable string you can find. Anyone who says it breaks easy is trying to say they are some kind of massive hitter, but even if "they" break it easy, then most likely they break every other type of string even easier than that.

I'd just cross it with gut, it's going to be more durable than a multi. Not to mention the playability is unreal with gut cross, even the cheap gut is sufficient. Best all-court setup i've used, and I've tried about every other hybrid combo out there.

Gut is obviously the best choice, but for those of us that have to keep price in mind, it is not an option. I have a great setup in my PSL right now, Big Bangers in the mains, Babolat VS gut crosses, and it is fantastic, but it isn't something that I can keep paying for.

toeknee
03-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Crazy, I was thinking the same thing as well - Ashaway Crossfire 18 comes packed with syngut for the crosses, I was thinking of buying a pack and throwing it in my FXP Prestige MP. I've heard great stuff about kevlar, but also that it breaks easy. I'm not really a string breaker though, so I'll give it a whirl!

JT_2eighty is correct. Kevlar is the most durable string. my setup, on the other hand, with multi on the mains isnt very durable (but very playable).. the multi will break long before the kevlar even starts to lose its playability.

phishua
03-31-2010, 07:47 AM
JT_2eighty is correct. Kevlar is the most durable string. my setup, on the other hand, with multi on the mains isnt very durable (but very playable).. the multi will break long before the kevlar even starts to lose its playability.

Neato, guess I will have to give it a try! Always looking for a cheap, good, durable string.

mawashi
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
The only syn gut/multi strings that seem to be able to handle kevlar mains are:

1. Asaway syn gut
2. Pacific Premium power x
3. head rip control

Rip control seems to wear the least cus it's smoother than the other 2 but overall all 3 do work well with kevlar

mawashi

nabbydian
04-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I have used FXP blend a few times and while I like the feel of the kevlar main, the FXP Power cross just isn't durable enough for my tastes. Plus it seems to drop tension pretty fast. After two rounds of the FXP blend, I switched out the FXP Power with regular FXP and I liked that set up better. Better tension maintenance and better durability. So you may be better off making your own hybrid than relying on a prepackaged one.

As for the kevlar main, I thought the string felt less harsh than the Prince Problend kevlar. The string seemed less stiff, but we are still talking about kevlar. So between the two I prefer the Head version of the kevlar.

Thanks for your feedback!

so far i have observed plenty of negative comments on the FXP Power. It seems it doesnt really work well in many hybrids or on its own. Back to Kevlar again, in that case i would really prefer to use Head Kevlar but buying the FXP blend would be a big waste since the other string is useless.

cant really find the Head Kevlar on its own :neutral:

JT_2eighty
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Gut is obviously the best choice, but for those of us that have to keep price in mind, it is not an option. I have a great setup in my PSL right now, Big Bangers in the mains, Babolat VS gut crosses, and it is fantastic, but it isn't something that I can keep paying for.

True. This is why in my setup, I am using Unifibre gut in crosses. Its about $18 a set (so just $9 per half), so only a few bucks more expensive than your typical high-grade multi (unless you are using the few multi's that are $19+). Some say Unifibre is repackaged global gut. Either way, it is quite durable of a gut, and since most wear on strings happens on the mains, I find this setup to last quite a while, my cost per racquet is $12-15 (depending on the kevlar).

The benefits to this setup: 1) the gut does not die or lose tension/playability like most, if not all, multis. 2) kevlar is already an inelastic string, so even though it loses substantial tension over time, most people cannot feel this in terms of playability because it is stiff as nails, even at tensions in the 30s-40s. 3) since gut crosses play great until breakage, unlike most multis, and since it is the mains imparting most of the feel, the cheapest gut you can find will suffice for this hybrid. It softens the feel of the kevlar just enough to create a nice mix of bite, control & depth.

On the other hand, my advice only applies to dense string patterns in flexible racquets (at least the only thing I have experience with). I'm sure my durability would be way less in a more open string pattern and/or stiff frame, which typically put more stress/wear on strings. If you are not using a flexible, 18x20 stick, I would heed mawashi's advice, or yes, it could be more expensive than my experience. Hmm, Kevlar/RIP control sounds like a good one, I'll have to try that next time around.