PDA

View Full Version : Who is the real 2nd best player in womens tennis now

anointedone
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Caroline Wozniacki is now ranked #2 but there seem to be many who doubt she is the real #2. Which begs the question when you look at the current womens field who really is the 2nd best now after Serena. Is it Venus, 1 of the Belgians, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Jankovic, Wozniacki, Azarenka, who exactly?

OKUSA
03-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Henin because she looks like she wants to win more than anyone else right now, and she has the game to do it

anointedone
03-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I think Henin will atleast win the French so based on that alone I picked her. It is really hard to pick anyone though. Other than Serena the tour is a mess right now, and even Serena hasnt played since Australia and might have the rest of her year ruined by injury for all we know (and probably wont do anything much until Wimbledon even when she does return with the clay season up next).

It is so bad I even though of including the likes of Bartoli, Stosur, Safina, Radwanska, or Na on the poll but figured that would be a bit extreme.

OKUSA
03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't even think Serena wants to play anymore I mean seriously 2 months without playing with a knee injury? I find it hard to believe to be honest. Henin will most likely take #1 by the year's end

boredone3456
03-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't even think Serena wants to play anymore I mean seriously 2 months without playing with a knee injury? I find it hard to believe to be honest. Henin will most likely take #1 by the year's end

why play, not like her number 1 ranking is likely going anywhere, i don't see Woz cashing in and taking it, and anyway, she doesn't care much about the number 1 spot anyway it seems, after the 2008 US Open she dropped off the tennis planet and went a measly 1-2, then she only held it for as long as she did after winning the 2009 Australian because Safina was terrified of it. Serena has her own agenda on the tour, she'll probably play like, 2 events on clay before the french. It really doesn't matter, I don't see her likely winning another title before Wimbledon at the least anyway.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Henin, Clijsters, or maybe really Wozniacki

TMF
03-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Claiming knee injury when haven't played tennis for awhile is pure BS. She simply doesn't want to play Miami so she had to make an excuse. If Miami was a GS, she'll be the first to show up practicing!

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Serena is certainly real no. 1, though I wish she weren't

TMF
03-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I think Serena is certainly real no. 1, though I wish she weren't

She’s #1 of her sport, I just wish she’s more committed to tennis(see Roger). You got all players out there busting their tail out to compete and of course for the fans to watch. Missing 2 prestige tournaments is unacceptable. You just don’t choose to play whenever you feel like it. Thank god Federer doesn't do that.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, the field is just so weak she can do whatever she likes

boredone3456
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Claiming knee injury when haven't played tennis for awhile is pure BS. She simply doesn't want to play Miami so she had to make an excuse. If Miami was a GS, she'll be the first to show up practicing!

Oh please, Miami is one of the few events outside the slams that Serena has consistently put in an effort to play and do well in. She has several titles there and for the most part puts in the same effort there she does at slam events. Frankly I believe something must be wrong with her physically if she is willing to miss one of the few non slam events she during her career shows any continued enthusiasm for.

djokovicgonzalez2010
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
she IS injured, but who thinks she would skip this if it were a slam?

dirtballer
03-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Although she isn't close to No. 2 now, I actually think that Sam Stosur has the potential to make a move. She has a good serve and a good volley which separates her from most of the field. She needs to improve her ground strokes but at least her game is interesting to watch.

kOaMaster
03-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Henin, Clijsters, or maybe really Wozniacki

would go with that too. wozniacki isn't that bad as number 2. there have been worse.

dcdoorknob
03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
As far as who's level of play is the highest out of all of those, its as clear as mud. Depends on what day/week it is. Henin and Clijsters have both showed some great tennis but also some suprise losses early in their comebacks. Jankovic was playing just awful before last week where she unexpectedly found some good form, only to go out to Stosur this week. Azarenka hasn't done enough to be considered a top 3 player. Venus, Dementieva are up and down. Kuznetsova is down and down lately. Of all of them I'd have to say Wozniaki deserves to be #2 the most, even though there are plenty of matches against other top players that seem to be playing well that I would consider Woz the underdog.