PDA

View Full Version : Best Starting Clamp

johndagolfer
03-29-2010, 05:18 PM
All the previous posts are pretty old. My price range is $40 or so. What starting clamp would you recommend?

Standupnfall
03-29-2010, 05:27 PM
You will have .01 left in your budget :)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-GCLAMP.html

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_product/GCLAMP-1.jpg

schenkelini
03-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I just purchased the Alpha clamp and I am very happy with it.

jim e
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
All the previous posts are pretty old. My price range is $40 or so. What starting clamp would you recommend?

I have 3 starting clamps. All three work as they should.
I have a gamma,works nice no complaints.
An Alpha, that clamp the Alpha is a little bigger(wider) than the others, but works nice.
One I got from grand slam stringers has 2 springs, nice size, hold great and my favorite of the bunch.
All three were less than $40.00

decades
03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
most people prefer the Alpha clamp to the Gamma.

wrxtotoro
03-29-2010, 06:49 PM
I use the Eagnas Starting Clamp for over a year. I can't compare it to the Alpha or Gamma ones but simply put, it works.

drummerdan
03-29-2010, 07:43 PM
+1 on the Alpha clamp. I've used it a lot and no problems whatsoever. Buy it!!

mikeler
03-30-2010, 04:52 AM
I bought one from Mutual Power for $25. Works fine.

drakulie
03-30-2010, 06:05 AM
best starting clamps are babolat.

However, being that your range is 40, then buy the one sold here on TW, or the alpha.

johndagolfer
03-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Where can you buy the alpha starting clamp?

topanlego
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
newtechtennis (alpha's online store).

or call them

hyperion99
03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I use the Eagnas Starting Clamp for over a year. I can't compare it to the Alpha or Gamma ones but simply put, it works.

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but was curious on whats the difference between the Alpha and Gamma starting clamps vs the Eagnas starting clamp?

Also what makes the Babolat starting clamp superior than the other companies starting clamps.

Thanks

Edit: Also TW I think this thread should be in Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines section.

zapvor
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
there is already a thread there. i suggest you take a look

Rabbit
03-22-2013, 07:29 PM
ALPHA rules!

anubis
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
I love my alpha starting clamp. I wouldn't dream of stringing a racquet without it.

hyperion99
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
there is already a thread there. i suggest you take a look

I couldn't find it.
Do you have the link to the page?
Thanks

diredesire
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread but was curious on whats the difference between the Alpha and Gamma starting clamps vs the Eagnas starting clamp?

Also what makes the Babolat starting clamp superior than the other companies starting clamps.

Thanks

Edit: Also TW I think this thread should be in Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines section.

Alpha used to be the same as the GSS RAB clamp. Nowadays the Alpha clamp is wide jawed, aggressively textured (not overly so, though), and has EXTREMELY high clamping force. Jaws don't open much, and the springs are very firm.

RAB clamp is very similar to the Babolat, and I'd imagine you'd find little to no difference in the performance if you had a blind test. It should also be noted that the Babolat clamp has been through many versions throughout the year, but all are deemed to be pretty much excellent.

I don't own an eagnas clamp (but it looks to be OK in quality). The handle looks pretty wide, so I'm unsure of the natural clamping power. I can't be of too much help on that one.

The Gamma clamp is adequate for light duty usage, IMO. I wouldn't have it as my only starting clamp. Diamond dusting is very smooth, the gripping surface is a glued-in insert, and the jaws gunk up. Even though it's a 3 spring model, it doesn't have insane clamping power. I pasted a link below for your browsing pleasure. I've worked with at least 3 gamma clamps over the years, I would be OK having one at home for just myself, but if I were to share tools with others (and I've worked this way in the past), I can't trust maintenance to be done, and i don't have the luxury of spending 10-15 minutes doing a proper cleaning every time I string. I like the RAB as my favorite go-to clamp. I've got a babolat wide jaw, but no eyelets, so it doesn't see use on my machine (can't splice/bridge).

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=418273

hyperion99
03-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Alpha used to be the same as the GSS RAB clamp. Nowadays the Alpha clamp is wide jawed, aggressively textured (not overly so, though), and has EXTREMELY high clamping force. Jaws don't open much, and the springs are very firm.

RAB clamp is very similar to the Babolat, and I'd imagine you'd find little to no difference in the performance if you had a blind test. It should also be noted that the Babolat clamp has been through many versions throughout the year, but all are deemed to be pretty much excellent.

I don't own an eagnas clamp (but it looks to be OK in quality). The handle looks pretty wide, so I'm unsure of the natural clamping power. I can't be of too much help on that one.

The Gamma clamp is adequate for light duty usage, IMO. I wouldn't have it as my only starting clamp. Diamond dusting is very smooth, the gripping surface is a glued-in insert, and the jaws gunk up. Even though it's a 3 spring model, it doesn't have insane clamping power. I pasted a link below for your browsing pleasure. I've worked with at least 3 gamma clamps over the years, I would be OK having one at home for just myself, but if I were to share tools with others (and I've worked this way in the past), I can't trust maintenance to be done, and i don't have the luxury of spending 10-15 minutes doing a proper cleaning every time I string. I like the RAB as my favorite go-to clamp. I've got a babolat wide jaw, but no eyelets, so it doesn't see use on my machine (can't splice/bridge).

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=418273

Thanks for the wise words of wisdom DD:)
I have been looking to add a better starting clamp to replace my Eagnas PP-600 to use for starting my crosses (that has more clamping power than my Eagnas starting clamp).

I've owned a Eagnas starting clamp for about a year now and it's a decent quality starting clamp.

diredesire
03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the wise words of wisdom DD:)
I have been looking to add a better starting clamp to replace my Eagnas PP-600 to use for starting my crosses (that has more clamping power than my Eagnas starting clamp).

I've owned a Eagnas starting clamp for about a year now and it's a decent quality starting clamp.

Is your eagnas slipping? I'm curious, because I don't have hands on with that clamp, but it looks reasonable... some people 'reinforce' their springs on their starters by putting an extra spring around their coil springs... might want to look into that if it's specifically clamping pressure... also check the clamp head condition and/or clean it if necessary.

UCSF2012
03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
The all-metal Klipper one is my favorite. 2 points to adjust clamp strength.

http://www.klipperusa.com/products/productdetail.php?catnum=A330

[d]ragon
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
I've had the GSS one but after awhile it tends to slip when you use it when trying to start crosses. The Wilson one though has been good, nice and tight. It's never even been cleaned and still doesn't slip.

Cfidave
03-25-2013, 07:58 AM
I have a Babolat ( blue & red ), an Alpha, a Gamma, and a GSS. The best is the Babolat, neither ever slips, one is at least 15 years old.

hyperion99
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Is your eagnas slipping? I'm curious, because I don't have hands on with that clamp, but it looks reasonable... some people 'reinforce' their springs on their starters by putting an extra spring around their coil springs... might want to look into that if it's specifically clamping pressure... also check the clamp head condition and/or clean it if necessary.

No, I have not noticed any slipping on my Eagnas starting clamp
(I also keep it well cleaned).
For the $26 it's worth it.
I'm just trying to see if there's a better quality starting clamp on the market to add to my collection (primary use for starting my crosses) and using the one I have for tightening knots.

That's an excellent idea about adding extra springs.

Thanks DD

ced
03-26-2013, 06:37 AM

I've had two of these for several years and have no complaints.

struggle
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
My eagnas clamp is a beast, huge clamping power (springs).

My Gamma clamp is more like a daisy, but it still seems to work.